England is sinking

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

England is sinking

Postby Chris swl on July 24th, 2007, 11:23 am

Wow
I think our little island is sinking. The UK is flooding. There are thousands of homes with no electricity and no, (:would you believe) water!!

Lucky for us up in the deep Northumberland all is well. We have had weeks of rain but no flooding, as yet. It’s unreal to see the red cross working in this county handing out water etc.

So I just wanted to say to my fellow Uk friends. I hope you are all safe and well and unaffected by the floods and weather too!

Take Care

Chris Sewell
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby pacovega26 on July 24th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Oh man.... the global warming theory is catching uo really fast... *beep* those melting icebergs.... and worsft gor you, your live on an island!!!!!

Here in Mexico City, we are flooding as well.... but not beacuse we have a lake near or something (we actually have used all the water form the lakes and river nearby....). Its because the sewers are so bad that every day, the limit is surpassed by the rain!!! well soon be like Venice, although with stinkier waters...

One more thing Chris... how´s th new Prime Minister doing??? I would like to hear your opinion about him...

Cheers mate, and go buy some floaters!

Luis
"Do you believe in destiny, Neo?"
"No"
"Why?"
"Because I don´t like the idea that I am not in control of my life"
pacovega26
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jmontan27 on July 24th, 2007, 2:27 pm

I live on the outskirts of London and we're ok here. However, my in-laws near Sheffield had their town centre totally flood in the first round of flooding a couple of weeks ago. The water came within 20 metres of their house, but luckily they were ok!
"Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved through understanding." Albert Einstein
jmontan27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Alayne on July 24th, 2007, 2:36 pm

OK here in Sussex, fortunately, despite the downpours. It must be heartbreaking for those in badly flooded area's and there's more heavy rain on the way :( This time last year we had a drought and hosepipe ban here in Sussex :shock:
Alayne
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Angie on July 24th, 2007, 3:54 pm

I was just thinking of posting to ask how all our friends in the UK are fairing given the flood news we are hearing here about you! I'm glad to see you're all posting because that means at least your computers are still working :D Chris, I hope this hasn't effected Monkey World negatively. Try to stay dry friends!
Angie
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby stevepaul on July 24th, 2007, 4:30 pm

I didn't see many of the top national news reporters when the north was hit recently, but now it's the south they're all over the TV screens, typical.
"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things,
their colours, lights and shades; these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts."

Denys Pitchford Watkins
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby sharon slack on July 24th, 2007, 6:58 pm

Hey Chris,

We had a news report on it over here the other night. It looks really bad.
It showed caravans and cars just floating away!. Pleased your all safe.

Take care
Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Postby Christina on July 24th, 2007, 10:23 pm

I saw it on the news, It is terrible. I am glad that you are all safe.

Here in New York, we had some wicked rains in the last few weeks....5 inches one day last week ...fell in 1 hour, and I heard there was a tornado 2 towns over? We don't get those here? What the he-ll is going on? Al Gore is sure on to something.

Christina
Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly.
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on July 25th, 2007, 5:59 am

We have plenty of room in Canada. If the sinking continues we might be able to set up a little England somewhere. We have plenty of cross-cultural connections. Colour is spelled the same way, we like our tea, the Queen is our head of State, and we are better educated than the Americans. JK...ouch, I said JK, stop hitting me. :P

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby richardf on July 25th, 2007, 8:34 am

I live about 5 miles from Gloucester - and in an old watermill so I was always going to have a tough time. On Friday the water came up in minutes once the river at the end of the garden burst its banks. It came right up to the front door - my wife and I moved everything we could upstairs and waited for the inevitable. The water actually lapped one inch up the concrete sill of the front door and then ebbed slowly back! We were lucky, we even have mains water back now (although 350K people are still off) - just need to get the sewage tretment works that serves the 4 houses repaired and we will be laughing!!
English summer eh!!![/img]
richardf

Postby jmontan27 on July 25th, 2007, 8:42 am

It would be great to escape to Canada for a while! I even saw a red Routemaster bus whilst on holiday there once - made me feel right at home!
"Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved through understanding." Albert Einstein
jmontan27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pacovega26 on July 25th, 2007, 11:41 am

The problem is, with global warning, half of canada will melt, and the other
half will be conquered by penguins!!!! :D

You are always welcome in Mexico... and in Canada, and in Africa
"Do you believe in destiny, Neo?"
"No"
"Why?"
"Because I don´t like the idea that I am not in control of my life"
pacovega26
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Capital H on July 25th, 2007, 3:02 pm

Luckily I am well in the middle of the country where the rivers are only brooks, notwithstanding the River Sowe close to me has overflowed several times recently and all that water eventually joins with the rest of it.

Leamington further downstream has had some flooding, and I suppose ultimately since we get our water supply from the River Severn, we could be affected if our pumping station wherever it is, were knocked out.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on July 25th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Paco, we have no penguins, I'm afraid they inhabit the Southern Hemisphere. We used to have a penguin called the Auk, but they were made extinct from over-zealous hunters. The last colony disappeared around 1850. I believe Britain still has penguins, and if the water isn't fit to drink, at least you will have something to snack on. :wink:

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Capital H on July 25th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Yeah we can still p p p pick up a penguin but I think Jamie Oliver might complain if that is still included in the average school kids lunch box these days.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)