Good thing bad thing?

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Good thing bad thing?

Postby Chris swl on January 15th, 2007, 6:27 am

Hi Friend

At the age of seven, my son started korean Kickboxing, at the age of ten years and ten months he was a black belt first dan. He was aproached by a uk champ and asked to start a special school for full contact championship fighting. After some succesful fights he was on his way up.

Then Wham!! i came down with this BFS thing and was unable to take him as often, as he wanted. Reason being, i could not face people at the start of this bfs condition. He enjoyed fighting, but sometimes it was hard to watch and could get very agresive. So may be this is not a bad thing as the brain is not built for punching. He often talks about going back, but i can not decide. He is now twelve and i see thing in a diferant light now.

So i think i will leave it for now and let him stick with football

Chris
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby TriJeff on January 16th, 2007, 5:42 pm

The brain is not made for punching.

I've had two massive head injuries (both caused me to loose ALL my CSF fluid) and I'm only now learning that I've introduced myself to all sorts of things like; increased risk of Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, etc.

Sad but true.

Sounds like your kid is awesome at something but it's something that will SURELY put him at increased risk.

He likely won’t understand and will feel invincible but you've got to protect him.

Is there a low contact version? I knew a girl who did martial arts (big time) and she competed in a low contact environment.

As I've gotten older I've learned the delicate game of Risk vs. Reward. I thought I was invincable until I was 30.

I really feel for your delema. :-(

Jeff
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 24/7 calf twitcher for 15 years. YUCK!
TriJeff
Saint
Saint

Postby MaryY on January 17th, 2007, 4:41 pm

My eight year old has been in Taekwondo for 3 years now and will be testing for his black belt this March.... They spar (with padded protective gear on), learn how to use weapons (again in a safe environment) and of course do the traditional board breaks and forms..... The competitions we travel too are great fun and he loves meeting others....
Is this something your son would be interested in..... Just a thought.....
Mary
MaryY
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)