Saw my neuro

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Saw my neuro

Postby tewest99 on December 19th, 2006, 1:58 am

Not for an appointment, just to pay my bill. Evidently their billing service is so poor that they found another one and I JUST got my bil for the EMG I had done on April 6'th.

The lady who runs the office recognized me and said that I was looking really good, that I had put some weight on ( I was skinny before because I wasn't eating from depression ) and said it was great to see me doing so well and smiling.

We talked a little about her similar experiences and decided that anyone who is in their late 30's to early 40's will undoubtedly go through some sort of hell in their life that somehow ????, will improve their character.

Nice to see a neuro without any motive other than to pay a bill...

Thank God :-)
Last edited by tewest99 on December 19th, 2006, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Postby MaryY on December 19th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Hey great news.... but I got to ask what is the 6.7% study...... I was happy to reach the 4 month mark... am I too early in my celebration ????
Mary
MaryY
Hero
Hero

Postby massagefan16 on December 19th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Oh Mary...let's not even go there.... :wink: ....Why poke the sleeping lion? You've had an EMG so your fine. If anyone has a reason to take pause from said study it's me cause I'm flying solo , twitching away with no EMG. I'm going on the odds here and assuming that if the worst case scenario is a 95% chance of being fine then I'm ok with that. 95% is still pretty good :)
massagefan16
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on December 19th, 2006, 2:29 pm

One second, one minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month...it is all the same. There is not a time limit, a time zone, or a time line to when one is in the clear. We have bfs, therefore we are in the clear....okay? Good!! :D

BTW, that study is stupid, like most studies.

And please don't poke a lion, or a hornet's nest, or anything else nasty. There are must nicer things in life to poke. :wink:

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby tewest99 on December 19th, 2006, 2:30 pm

The 6.7% study was for people with bad EMG's, so, no worries ...
There was also a post from another member who was told that 4 months was the mark. My neuro said 3 months. I was happy when I reached the 3 month mark because if you've had an EMG and then 3 months later, you're still just twitching (i.e. no profound debilitating weakness) then you are good to go, and 13 months later, I am here to tell you that this is the truth. You don't need months and months to be reassured, a clean EMG, physical exam and no profound weakness within a few months and you are completely free of worry, except for the worry you needlessly put on yourself.

And by the way, that 3 months is the doctor's "cover your butt" time period because if your EMG is clean it means that you absolutely are NOT twitching from ALS. Twitching in ALS is caused by denervation and if the EMG didn't pick it up, then it's NOT there, which means, of course, that your twitching is benign. You don't need 3 months to figure that out. You either have denervation caused by ALS or you don't, it's that simple ... You don't twitch first and then get denervation ... it's the denervation that causes the twitch in ALS so how could you have ALS and twitching but a clean EMG? NOT POSSIBLE ...

I know a lot of doctors take the wait and see approach but they have to understand that it drives us anxiety ridden people up the wall to wait and wait ... 3 months is like an eternity but that said, again, in the same sentence, my doctor also said, "you DON'T have ALS".

I asked the obvious question ... "if I don't have ALS, then why do I have to wait for 3 months to feel the all clear?" the answer is "cover your butt" ... the doctor must tell you this simply to cover his/her own butt because we live in a society that will sue you at the drop of a dime.

So, CLEAN EMG = NO ALS ... BELIEVE IT !!!
Last edited by tewest99 on December 19th, 2006, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Postby MaryY on December 19th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Thanks
I shan't do anymore poking... :wink:
As always you all make me smile :)
Mary
MaryY
Hero
Hero

Postby massagefan16 on December 19th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Yes, I think Basso said it perfectly...poking should be restricted to certain things- none of which involve twitching...
:wink:
massagefan16
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)