Remembering

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Remembering

Postby basso on November 11th, 2006, 9:28 am

When I read the stories of all the newbies, it makes me remember when I was first afflicted with bfs. It brings me back a bit to those first, unsettling days of worry and anxiety, but also makes me remember the triumph that I felt when I realized that I was a miracle living on a wonder.

Today I'm remembering too, because in Canada it is Remembrance day, or Veterans day in the States. My dad was a WWII vet, and my mom a war bride. However, I never really thought much about the sacrifice of the fathers and mothers of my generation. Out of sight, out of mind. I had to make the odd trip to the cenotaph as a boy, where a wreath would be laid, and guns fired. But, the only fighting I saw was old men, their chest covered in medals, fighting back tears; it really wasn't on my radar.

Today, it seems I can not go about my day without hearing about young men and women paying the ultimate sacrifice. Canada, so far, has had close to 50 soldiers killed in Afghanistan; which pales in comparison to the 3000 Americans killed in Iraq. I know the UK has had their share of losses too. So, today, as it is November the 11th, I am just nodding a little to those beautiful people who have lost their lives. I am not questioning the why, nor the wherefore, of these conflicts. I am only acknowledging that too many people, the world over, have had their earthly dreams end…far too soon.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby sharon slack on November 11th, 2006, 10:24 am

Lovely words. My Dad was in Korea the so called forgotten war, he forged his parents signature as a naive youngster he never talked about it as we were growing up, but after all these years has now managed to share a little with his grandchildren.
Such a waste of life for those that don't make it back.

Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on November 11th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Wow, basso. You always have such a knack for getting to the heart of the matter.

My grandfather was a decorated WWII hero, but I never got a chance to meet him. I've visited his grave at Arlington Cemetary in Washington DC, and it is quite literally a sea of white head stones stretching further than the imagination can wonder. It really is overwhelming, to go there, and tread tenderly amongst the graves.

So many different men and women of every walk of life, every age, every background, all with one common experience. They were willing to die that we might have freedom and liberty.

Thank you for remembering them. I was thinking of all the sales at the mall that I might take advantage of for Veteran's Day. Leave it to you to set me right and remind me what it's really all about. Hey-what are you doing for Christmas? I might need you to put me on the straight and narrow then, too. :wink:

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on November 11th, 2006, 8:08 pm

It breaks my heart every week when they show the list of the soldiers killed that week. Most are so young. We in the States and in the other countries that have sent troops off to fight our wars definitely owe a serious debt of gratitude to those that fight and die for our countries (regardless of how we personally feel about the war).

Gary
garym

Postby Ginlyn on November 11th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Thank you for the post Basso.

As a wife of a former Army officer, an aunt of a Marine officer (my nephew volunteered a second tour of duty in Iraq) and a daughter of a WWII vet, this is more appreciated than you know.

About three years ago we were stuck in traffic near Sacramento. The car next to us was motioning for my husband to roll down his window. Thinking something was wrong with our car, the driver of the car next to us said "I just want to thank you for serving our country" (one of our cars has a license plate that has a Airborne Eagle Veteran sticker on the plate).

My husband and I will never forget this. It was one of the nicest gestures anyone has ever made to us.

All the men and women of the armed forces are appreciative of the support. We are, after all, a volunteer military and these people have made the choice to fight for what they believe is right.

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)