I quit smoking today!!!

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Jennhaz on September 12th, 2006, 11:34 am

LOL..yuppers you are right about that (should of waited)...I did try though and going to at least slow down and then go from there...Jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

"Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans!!"
Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Wolverine on September 12th, 2006, 10:05 pm

I'm in the middle of trying to reduce my smoking. I'm down from about a pack a day to about 1/2 a pack a day. I going to try to quit once I get into my new house. My life is to crazy right now to try to quit, but I'm preparing to quit.
Wolverine
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on September 13th, 2006, 6:54 am

I also quit smoking, but then I quit quiting. My father did not raise a quitter.

...but then, quitting quitting is also quitting, isn't it? Perhaps it would be better if you did not quit at all. At one point in time you started smoking, a commencement of sorts. Now you can start being a non-smoker. You can embark upon a new journey, a fresh beginning.

Quitting sounds negative, it is why it makes it hard to stop. You must begin to not smoke. This is a positive first step. Many times a day you can go outside to inhale the air, until you are up to twenty times a day. Try it with your morning coffee, with a beer. It is habit forming, and soon you will have started a new behaviour. The old habit falls away, no quitting necessary.

You should do it now, don't wait. That is just an excuse. Of course you can start life as a non-smoker anytime. Don't be afraid to begin something new...c'mon now.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby tewest99 on September 13th, 2006, 5:58 pm

...but then, quitting quitting is also quitting, isn't it?

What if you stop not quitting, then you're not a quitter and you're not smoking ... That'll work ...
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on September 13th, 2006, 7:39 pm

No Troy, stopping infers quitting. Therefore, stopping to quit quitting qutting is a triple negative, and renders one, alas...a quitter.

Basso :wink:
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Jennhaz on September 13th, 2006, 7:59 pm

LOL..I am so glad I didn't quit... :P
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

"Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans!!"
Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby tewest99 on September 14th, 2006, 3:29 am

What about if you cease-and-desist? And is an inference to quitting the same as actually stating that you are going to infact quit? These are important questions that need to be answered before Jenn is allowed to stop smoking, or quit smoking, or cease smoking, or refrain from partaking in such social activities as attempting to light oneself on fire via a cylindrical-tobacco-filled rolling paper .... :wink:
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on September 15th, 2006, 9:46 am

Ceasing is to halt, and therefore is not the same as quitting. One can definitely cease with out being accused of quitting. Desisting implies struggle, and hence indicates a kind of self-coercion that is akin to quitting. Desisting, while not quite the same as quitting, would seem to be a bed-fellow thereof, and therefore best avoided.

So, quizzically quitting can be quite quirky, re-quiring a quorum to quantify quickly the quality of questioning the "quit" quotient. Though one might quack quietly about quaffing quarts of quaint quellum, this does not abrogate the questing to quench querulous queries of quitting. Q's of Suzi's may quiver at quetching quadrinomial theories, but quibbling over such would quash even a hint of quavering in that quarter.

Whether quail or quahog, this qu-eer qualm of quitting, is but a qwerty quadrille that is the purview of quadrivium, by querulent queens. This quintessential quixotic quota is quasi quarantined quagmire Q-logic, formulated by quassia and qat.

Quasso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Wolverine on September 15th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Qat: A great word to use in Scrabble to get rid of your Q. And on top of it, someone will challenge it and lose a turn. Don't know what it means, but I know it is in the Scrabble Dictionary.
Wolverine
Saint
Saint

Postby tewest99 on September 16th, 2006, 2:09 am

qat

n : the leaves of the shrub Catha edulis which are chewed like tobacco or used to make tea; has the effect of a euphoric stimulant; "in Yemen kat is used daily by 85% of adults" [syn: kat, khat, quat, cat, Arabian tea, African tea]
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)