I quit smoking today!!!

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

I quit smoking today!!!

Postby Jennhaz on September 9th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Ok guys, I quit smoking today...I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing right now but thought it would be worth a try.....

Has anyone smoked and quit and their BFS got better?...Jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

"Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans!!"
Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Blondie24 on September 9th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Congrats,
You would ruin that face with smoker's lines ;) Although the guys might like the raspy voice ;)
Blondie24
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jennhaz on September 9th, 2006, 2:29 pm

LOL..I already started with the lines..I see them coming :shock: I am hoping when I quit smoking I will shock my immune system back to normal...lol..Although I will have to go to the dentist soon with all this candy I have in my mouth.. :) Thanks..Jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Mork on September 9th, 2006, 4:04 pm

I was asked if I smoked after I made love....

I replied "I don't know, I've never looked" :D
Mork
Hero
Hero

Postby Jennhaz on September 9th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Mork,

I imagine you would with all those cyber girls you have going :P

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Re: I quit smoking today!!!

Postby tewest99 on September 11th, 2006, 4:02 am

Jennhaz wrote:Ok guys, I quit smoking today

You really need to stop lighting yourself on fire like that. I know you're hot but you don't have to go to such extremes to prove it ... LOL

Well, I bailed on stopping coffee as well...

Hey, let's pray for each other .. it'll be good for both of us to quit ... :-)
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on September 11th, 2006, 8:44 am

Jenn, it is time to give you an ass whooping. JK

You asked me on another thread, did I ever have bad moments or was everything basically hunky dory now. Portraitgal asked me the same thing not too long ago, in fact, a number of people have. I thought that I might answer your query here.

Yes, mostly my life is free of health anxiety. Like everyone, I think about my health a little, but it does not predominate my life. I don't fret or worry about every little thing, or new symptom, and I don't let my mind wander to "what ifs," anymore.

I am not going to regale you with my philosophy, God knows, everyone has heard enough of that. LOL However, what I will say is that living is a habit.

If we imprint on our brain a habit of thinking, "I'm well," then over time we start feeling well most of the time. I am of course predicating this on the fact that we all actually are well. On the other hand, if we let our mind be negative, then that will be the pattern that we develop. It really is that simple.

You are a smoker, but desire to quit. How are you going to do that, keep smoking? That would be ridiculous wouldn't it? You must decide that you no longer wish to be a slave to whatever, and then take steps to ingrain a new habit.

The key, I think, is to see yourself as a non-smoker, right off the bat. Not as a smoker who is trying to quit. I have a sibling who is an alcoholic. He doesn't drink but he still gives himself this designation. He goes to daily meetings and chants out that he is an alcoholic, and tells us about all the wrongs he committed in his past, as a way of redressing the future. I have come to see this as well-meaning folly. Why? Well, he is never going to allow himself to be a whole person, a well person. He will live, and even die with the designation of alcoholic. There will be many who disagree with this assessment, but this is my take on things.

In effect, by giving ourselves a label, we are word cursing ourselves into a self-fulfilling prophecy of alcoholic, drug-addict, worry wort, GAD suffer, smoker, coffee drinker, etc.

So, you view yourself as a well person first. Then you do what well people do. You don't read every post on this board, and you don't ascribe them to yourself. You don't waffle about how you feel. You become direct, and assured that you are fine. You are building patterns of health now, patterns that have strength. Don't project into the future what is not there. For instance, you need not worry about being wrong about your health, that you might be mistaken in thinking yourself well. Banish those thoughts.

Before you post to someone, think about something to say that is an affirmation of their life and yours. Don't commiserate with misery, but rather insist on your joy. You will start feeling better with more consistency, and here's the kicker. After a time, you will reach a point where you just know that you are entirely fine, and any equivocation will just fall away.

Remember, you are establishing new patterns. It is like practicing an instrument. At first you might sound dreadful, but over time you gain proficiency.

See your self as well, and practice wellness. This is the key.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Jennhaz on September 11th, 2006, 9:18 am

Basso, thank you so much..Right before I read this I was up for the day ready to go, saying to myself this BFS or whatever it will go away and I am fine. I have been worrying soooo much about me having or getting scleroderma or sjogrens and this is how eveyrthing started. I said, self, knock it off, you DONT have anything wrong maybe BFS but so what live withit and suck it up. I am sick of being worried..I cannot even stand myself anymore..lol...Then this morning I read a post about BFS coming from auto immune disease and I am like ohhhh noooo...I knew I should not of read it, same thing with the lyme post. I had a SLE, ESR, CRP and some other specific test for sjogrens but they say that only shows for 60% of patients but still all negative but then my mind goes back to say well maybe I should have an ANA test and maybe something will show now...goshhhhhh what is wrong with me...Then I read your post and that made me feel so much better....I still have a long ways to go I feel but I know I can get there.....Big Hugs..Jenn

P.S. I'll whoop your azz when I see you in Vegas...hehe

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Jennhaz on September 11th, 2006, 9:22 am

Troy,
Praying for each other we might have to do for this one, as I just had a cigarette... :wink: ..I have to quit and I want to sooo bad but darnnn this is hard...

pssss...I burnt my eyelashes off befoe trying to light a cigarette..of course I was 18 and drunk at some party. Never knew that when you use a stove(had no lighter) you should only put your hand in and not your whole face with cigarette in mouth..... :lol: Jenn

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby carrilynn on September 11th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Hey there Jenn,

Heard the good news. Your officially a non-smoker!?!? :wink:
Okay so you had slip-up (or a hic-cup as Basso's says) who cares.

We all faulter, look at me, I do all the time. Don't get down on yourself. You'll kick it.

I'm proud of you. Remember when and if you get pregnant soon you'll have to quit anyway.

I stopped drinking coffee when all this started and I used to drink about 4 cups and usually a Red Bull mid way through the day. Gosh no wonder I started twitching. :D

Carri
carrilynn
Hero
Hero

Postby basso on September 11th, 2006, 9:52 pm

P.S. I'll whoop your azz when I see you in Vegas...hehe

Is Vegas still happening, and if so, when?

you should only put your hand in and not your whole face with cigarette in mouth.....

LOL, in retrospect of course. I never got into smoking, but I certainly, as a teen, smoked copious amounts of weed. Then, when I was 19 I just didn't want to do it anymore. I knew that it was depersonalizing me, and my experience of life. Smoking does that too. You can no longer taste the fruits as they are, for there is always a veil of tar and chemicals lingering about.

I applaud your efforts Jenn, and you Troy, and of course, you too Carrie.

You are all smokin' in the very best of ways, :wink:
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby tewest99 on September 12th, 2006, 3:13 am

Jennhaz wrote:Troy,
pssss...I burnt my eyelashes off befoe trying to light a cigarette..of course I was 18 and drunk at some party. Never knew that when you use a stove(had no lighter) you should only put your hand in and not your whole face with cigarette in mouth..... :lol: Jenn

OK, I won't tell a soul, if you promise not to tell about the time that I drank out of the Pepsi can that I was using as an ashtray. Or the time I lit a cigarette backward, butt first ... that tasted good ... or the time I went hiking in Yosemite Nat'l Park, had a bunch of pine needls and wood shavings in my knit sweater, reached over the gas stove, and caught my sweater on fire ... I would never want anyone to know about those things ... I selected the PM button didn't I ??? Wouldn't want that going out over the internet or anything ...
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Postby Wolverine on September 12th, 2006, 11:21 am

I also quit smoking, but then I quit quiting. My father did not raise a quitter.

Serioulsy, good to hear Jenn. Keep it up. NO RELAPSES!
Wolverine
Saint
Saint

Postby Jennhaz on September 12th, 2006, 11:24 am

Wolvy,

I guess my father didn't raise a quitter either.. :P ..I quit quitting too..

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Wolverine on September 12th, 2006, 11:26 am

I was thinking that when you posted that, that you should of waited. I have driven my family nuts with proclomations of quitting smoking, only to start-up again a day or two later.
Wolverine
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)