IM BORED!!

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby wjjw on August 26th, 2006, 4:28 pm

basso wrote:This conundrum has me worried. I love dogs on the one hand, but on the other I fear that we may be squelching their inner dog by "owning" them… I am hoping someone can come to my rescue on this one.

Basso, Max would like me to inform you that he would not trade 100 lives running in the wild for the life that he has spent with our family. He feels that his contact with humans has helped him evolve and has transformed some of his lower qualities into higher qualities. For example, he has traded the instinctual inclination to avoid eye contact with humans for the ability to gaze affectionately into our eyes. He has also traded his “food guarding” instinct for the ability to have dinner with “the pack” in a spirit of trust and harmony. He says that this is not squelching his spirit in the least, but is transforming it into something higher. He said it is not much different from the lower nature of humans being transformed by their own evolving spirit, or from mankind learning to be receptive to the inspiration from higher lines of evolution, such as angels. He said that it is all part of the plan, and that is what the ancients meant by “as above, so below.” He says you should stop worrying about it, and sleep easy. All is as it should be.
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Postby basso on August 26th, 2006, 4:29 pm

You might as well say that people should have their appendix removed in case it ruptures at some point in time.


Do you really think we should? Is this a good idea? I was pretty okay with my appendix until I saw this, and now I just don't know. :? Does anyone else think that the appendix might indeed rupture, and might it be prudent to have it removed...kind of like a prophylactic you might say. Just to be on the safe side, but then I guess there is a danger of dying during surgery...now I'm worried about that too. Oh, grrr, will these question never end?

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: April 28th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Postby basso on August 26th, 2006, 4:34 pm

I guess we were posting at the same time Bill..whew, thanks for putting my mind at ease re: the dog issue. A big "shake-a-paw to Max as well, he totally drools; which is cool. :D Okay, so I'm not to worry about that then, but what about the above? What are your thoughts on the appendix, and the removal of it? This is a weighty issue but I really need your advice.

confused,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: April 28th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Postby wjjw on August 26th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Yes, we posted at the same time ... I knew you were on your computer, so I checked out the chat, but you were not there. God, I don't know what to say about the appendix thing.
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Postby Mork on August 26th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Just make sure it's your appendix that is removed and not your appendage :)
Image
User avatar
Mork
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 379
Joined: November 15th, 2005, 1:54 am
Location: Planet Earth

Postby scaredat25 on August 26th, 2006, 9:21 pm

basso wrote:I have been cogitating on the matter of dog "fixings." Hmm, perhaps that is a poor turn of phrase, it sounds like I'm making a dinner of dog...and that certainly wouldn't do. Well, I hear that in Korea it is quite within respectability to eat a dog, but I digress.

If it is unnatural to "fix" a dog; which is something I will not argue, then perhaps it is also unnatural to even domesticate them. We just might be trampling on their spirits by making them subservient...our best friends if you will.

This conundrum has me worried. I love dogs on the one hand, but on the other I fear that we may be squelching their inner dog by "owning" them.

I am hoping someone can come to my rescue on this one. These are the deep things which make my nights sleepless, and I am finding it hard to cope with such questions rattling around inside my brain.

Sincerely,
Basso


Basso, you are such a sarcastic a$$. I love it! :lol:

@stevepaul: Yeah, you probably have me all figured out by my username and the 20 or so posts I've made on here. :wink: Look, how we choose to raise our pets is very similar to how we choose to raise our kids - everyone's got their own way and each of us think it's the best. I say as long as it ain't abuse, who gives a crap? I just thought you might find those articles interesting in case it was a viewpoint you haven't heard. However, this isn't a pet forum, so the topic is getting dropped here and now (except for finding out if Basso's snake is sleepin' around - keep us updated on that, would you?).

And I think all of us are scared - that's why we came here, isn't it?

Take care!
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

BTW, my name is Mia, so you don't have to call me scared all the time. :)
User avatar
scaredat25
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: August 23rd, 2006, 11:11 pm

Postby SuziQ on August 27th, 2006, 6:37 am

Nancy nurse here, just weighing in on the appendix issue.

In fact, a surgeon will generally snip the appendix if he/she happens to be within convenient reach of it. We would call that an incidental appendectomy. Your doctor won't even send you a bill for it, nor will your insurance pay for it. It is a freebie, thrown in just for kicks.

In fact, because I am a generally suspicious person, I would have to wonder whether the collective "they" may be experimenting on all of the incidental appendixes (appendices?) Perhaps they are stacked in a laboratory somewhere along with all of the snipped off foreskins from circumcision? :shock:

Mork! Gasp! You may be on to something, here... :twisted:

Basso-that oughta keep you awake wondering, eh?... :wink:

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
User avatar
SuziQ
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: March 23rd, 2005, 10:36 am

Postby Mork on August 27th, 2006, 6:58 am

SuziQ wrote:along with all of the snipped off foreskins from circumcision? :shock:


Where do you think Hulahoops come from! :D

( http://www.hulahoops.com/ )
Image
User avatar
Mork
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 379
Joined: November 15th, 2005, 1:54 am
Location: Planet Earth

Postby basso on August 28th, 2006, 8:34 am

Excuse me Mork but you are wrong. They apparently use these items in the making of pork-rinds and nacho chips.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: April 28th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Postby JodiD on August 28th, 2006, 12:30 pm

scaredat25 wrote:Because I've personally seen several elderly female dogs go through a painful, usually fatal condition called pyometra because they were not spayed earlier in life.

Sorry to be late on the bandwagon here, but does this not beg the question about the benefit of "spaying" for HUMANS? If spaying really is the best thing for a dog's health, then logic dictates that it would also be the best thing for human health. Are dogs better than humans? Then why do we care more for their well being than for our own? Okay, so maybe people don't get pyometra per se, but there are plenty of human diseases of the reproductive organs which would become nonexistent if only people were also "spayed" early in life. (Of course, the fact that people themselves would shortly also become nonexistent is beside the point.)

I propose that we start a campaign for equal healthcare for humans. No more playing second fiddle to pooches! (No offense to all the pooches out there.)

Jodi
User avatar
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time
 
Posts: 166
Joined: September 8th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Postby scaredat25 on August 28th, 2006, 1:30 pm

JodiD wrote:
scaredat25 wrote:Because I've personally seen several elderly female dogs go through a painful, usually fatal condition called pyometra because they were not spayed earlier in life.

Sorry to be late on the bandwagon here, but does this not beg the question about the benefit of "spaying" for HUMANS? If spaying really is the best thing for a dog's health, then logic dictates that it would also be the best thing for human health. Are dogs better than humans? Then why do we care more for their well being than for our own? Okay, so maybe people don't get pyometra per se, but there are plenty of human diseases of the reproductive organs which would become nonexistent if only people were also "spayed" early in life. (Of course, the fact that people themselves would shortly also become nonexistent is beside the point.)

I propose that we start a campaign for equal healthcare for humans. No more playing second fiddle to pooches! (No offense to all the pooches out there.)

Jodi


I'm sorry, I don't quite get if you're being sarcastic or not (sometimes that's hard to read online), but I've dropped this topic since it (A) seems to cause some unnecessary mudslinging and (B) doesn't really pertain to Jenn's original question. If you'd like to discuss this further, you can PM me.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

BTW, my name is Mia, so you don't have to call me scared all the time. :)
User avatar
scaredat25
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: August 23rd, 2006, 11:11 pm

Postby wjjw on August 28th, 2006, 3:50 pm

JodiD wrote:plenty of human diseases of the reproductive organs which would become nonexistent if only people were also "spayed" early in life. (Of course, the fact that people themselves would shortly also become nonexistent is beside the point.)

Wrong. It would only make physical incarnation extremely difficult.
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Postby JodiD on August 28th, 2006, 3:54 pm

scaredat25 wrote:I'm sorry, I don't quite get if you're being sarcastic or not

If I can stop laughing, I'll give you the answer. No, wait, I can't stop laughing. (It must be hormones. I really should have gotten rid of those darn ovaries a long time ago.) I assume that since you're just 25, you still cling to the notion that your reproductive organs are of value. Being 47 (or is that 147?), I've moved beyond that. To me, they are merely disease-prone, space-occupying lumps of worthless flesh. But to think that you SERIOUSLY think that I would promote removing them from the entire female population, well... (sorry I'm laughing again.) In truth, I would limit it to a subset of the population.

scaredat25 wrote:...but I've dropped this topic since it (A) seems to cause some unnecessary mudslinging and (B) doesn't really pertain to Jenn's original question.

I suppose it was reasonable of you to have supposed that I was directing my remarks at you, since it was you that I quoted, but in truth, I was posting to whomever wished to read. I won't take offense at your telling me what I'm allowed to post in the "Off Topic" forum if you'll overlook the fact that I quoted you in my post.

Jodi
User avatar
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time
 
Posts: 166
Joined: September 8th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Postby scaredat25 on August 28th, 2006, 8:31 pm

@Jodi: Yes, at a naive 25 years old, I still "cling to the notion that my reproductive organs are of value," mainly because I want to have children here in the next couple of years. However, I am on birth control, so I'm keeping my unpredictable uterus in check at the moment.

And while I may only have two and a half decades under my belt, I have heard crazier things online than suggesting all women get themselves sterilized, believe me. Check out Yahoo Answers sometime for a real treat.

I didn't tell you what you could and couldn't post here. I'm not the "thread police." I just said I personally dropped the conversation here because people get riled up while talking about it and because it has barely anything to do with the original thread. You can talk about it until you're blue in the face (or fingers, if you will). However, if you'd like to start a new thread in which we discuss the pros and cons of hysterectomies, I'd be glad to join in.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

BTW, my name is Mia, so you don't have to call me scared all the time. :)
User avatar
scaredat25
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: August 23rd, 2006, 11:11 pm

Postby stevepaul on August 29th, 2006, 6:20 am

I would just like to say that I was out of line with my use of Mia's user name and I apologised via a PM, so that's that out of the way.

I would also like to take this opportunity to bow out of here. I've been here almost 2 years and this is far longer than I intended. Furthermore, I feel there is nothing else I can contribute that may be of help to anyone when it comes to this disorder.

I thank you.
Steve
stevepaul
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 439
Joined: November 7th, 2004, 1:22 pm
Location: lancashire England

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests