IM BORED!!

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Jennhaz on August 24th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Yes I know it is all in fun...I just thought when you just pmed me and said "gee thanks Jenn that was embarrassing ." that something was wrong, that was all the PM said..then I saw your sad face so just making sure that is all... I liked your pic, not the way the men do but I like your pic..I dont care what pic you put up...Now if we are talking pics not to put up ...its that ugly pic of Morks..yukkkk
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

"Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans!!"
Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Christina on August 24th, 2006, 9:40 pm

WEll, I am leaving for vacation for 5 days...when I get back all of you men better have mended your ways....

I guess I do love you all anyway....

Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby wjjw on August 24th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Christina wrote:when I get back all of you men better have mended your ways....

Consider it done.

Where's the "clear the room" button?
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby scaredat25 on August 24th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Jennhaz wrote:I got mine fixed when she was 8 months, I didnt think that was to early but someone told me it was and then told me my dog did not know what sex it is...lol

Not sure if anyone has answered this, but no, spaying at 8 months is totally fine. A lot of vets recommend that you spay before the first heat cycle, as once in a while, the hormones will get "stuck" in the system and can cause female dogs to display physical signs of heat even after being spayed.

((Sorry, used to be a vet's assistant for quite a while and picked up a lot of useful info along the way. :D))
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

BTW, my name is Mia, so you don't have to call me scared all the time. :)
scaredat25

Postby tewest99 on August 25th, 2006, 4:06 am

Last edited by tewest99 on September 1st, 2006, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Postby stevepaul on August 25th, 2006, 5:24 am

scaredat25 wrote:
Jennhaz wrote:I got mine fixed when she was 8 months, I didnt think that was to early but someone told me it was and then told me my dog did not know what sex it is...lol

Not sure if anyone has answered this, but no, spaying at 8 months is totally fine. A lot of vets recommend that you spay before the first heat cycle, as once in a while, the hormones will get "stuck" in the system and can cause female dogs to display physical signs of heat even after being spayed.

((Sorry, used to be a vet's assistant for quite a while and picked up a lot of useful info along the way. :D))

Spaying before 8 months is crazy. You should let the her have two seasons, that way the operation can be carried out at the optimum time. By this I mean - if the cycle is 6 months then the spaying should be done half way through = 3 months, if the cycle is 8 months then 4 months. This ensures that the organs, hormones etc. have all returned to normal size/levels.

Better still let the her have 3 seasons to really know the period between each one. Having the operation performed before 6 months is to early and at 8 months she might be due in season. Carrying out the procedure close to, or just after a season is not giving the her the best chance of a full and complete recovery.

A friend of mine recently adopted a rescue dog which is a great thing to undertake (we have 2 rescues of our own). Then without giving her time to settle in he had her spayed and a week later she died of internal bleeding. She had only been in kennels a week so neither they, nor this friend had any idea when she had finished, or was due her season. If he had waited while she had gone 2 seasons then he would have known the time of her half cycle.

Why have it spayed anyway, what's the point of putting her through a completely unnecessary operation, certainly not for her convenience so it must be the owners. Granted it can lessen the chances of her developing mammary tumours but not by much. If you don't want to put up with 3 weeks of cleaning the odd spot of blood off the carpet, and if you can't be responsible enough to ensure that she doesn't escape and gets nailed by the local mongrel, then don't get a female dog in the first place.
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby Jennhaz on August 25th, 2006, 7:09 am

Troy,
I say we are all hot.........

Christina- Have fun on vaca and remember the bugspray :wink:

To everyone else that responded about the dog, thank you but she has been fixed now for 9 years :D already,,there will be no seasons for her...lol...Jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby scaredat25 on August 25th, 2006, 8:01 am

stevepaul wrote:Spaying before 8 months is crazy.

Perhaps you should read this article: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=909 It clearly states that it is recommended dogs are spayed before their first heat cycle.

stevepaul wrote:Why have it spayed anyway, what's the point of putting her through a completely unnecessary operation

Because I've personally seen several elderly female dogs go through a painful, usually fatal condition called pyometra because they were not spayed earlier in life.

You can read more about this condition (caused by allowing dogs to go through many years of heat cycles) here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pyometra.html

I personally don't care if you disagree with me, as I am confident in my knowledge, but don't try to make Jenn feel bad about something which you hold strong, however uninformed, opinions.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

scaredat25

Postby basso on August 25th, 2006, 8:14 am

I'm wondering about Troy's guinea pig...does it hump your leg Troy, and have you had the thing spayed or neutered? I'm also curious about boa constrictors. I have considered getting one, but am worried that someone else in the neighbourhood might not be considerate enough to keep their snake under wraps...no pun intended. The last thing I want to do is to have to find homes for a bunch of little boa's. WTF is the cycle for snakes anyway? I would appreciate any input.

Hehe, if I get the snake, and my wife asks me to hand her the feather boa, I'll pass over my snake called "Feathers" and she can wrap that around her neck. :twisted:

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby scaredat25 on August 25th, 2006, 8:24 am

Well, basso, I'm not finding any information about how to spay or neuter your snakes, althought some talks are apparently in the works for a snake contraceptive. I hear they can go into their local gas station restroom and get one for 75 cents.

Just whatever you do... don't take him on a plane!!!!

(I know you were just kidding, but I felt like being a smarta$$. :))

scaredat25

Postby Jennhaz on August 25th, 2006, 8:35 am

Actually I had my dog spayed because she was bleeding all over my carpet :D Plus I did not want little puppies.

My dog is just fine, she is very spoiled and she loves her mommy and does not hold it against me :) I think...

Yes Troy, what about your pigs..lol :wink:

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on August 25th, 2006, 8:58 am

althought some talks are apparently in the works for a snake contraceptive. I hear they can go into their local gas station restroom and get one for 75 cents.

LOL...scaredat25
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby stevepaul on August 25th, 2006, 2:52 pm

I've read the articles and it's like I say. There is no valid reason to perform an unnecessary operation on a perfectly healthy dog just so as avoid a chance that something may develop later in life.

Elderly people develop health problems so I suppose we could have them attended to while they're young

You might as well say that people should have their appendix removed in case it ruptures at some point in time.

It wasn't an attack on Jenn, merely I was pointing out the best time to have a dog spayed

I'm sorry to say it but what the hell - I think your user name sums up your outlook on life.

That's all I've to say.
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby tewest99 on August 25th, 2006, 8:55 pm

basso wrote:I'm wondering about Troy's guinea pig...does it hump your leg Troy, and have you had the thing spayed or neutered?

she's a girl ... :-)
her name is mrs. scramples bweepin pussins and she's a princess piggie ... :-)

Basso, you;re killin' me ... :lol:
tewest99
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on August 26th, 2006, 12:06 pm

I have been cogitating on the matter of dog "fixings." Hmm, perhaps that is a poor turn of phrase, it sounds like I'm making a dinner of dog...and that certainly wouldn't do. Well, I hear that in Korea it is quite within respectability to eat a dog, but I digress.

If it is unnatural to "fix" a dog; which is something I will not argue, then perhaps it is also unnatural to even domesticate them. We just might be trampling on their spirits by making them subservient...our best friends if you will.

This conundrum has me worried. I love dogs on the one hand, but on the other I fear that we may be squelching their inner dog by "owning" them.

I am hoping someone can come to my rescue on this one. These are the deep things which make my nights sleepless, and I am finding it hard to cope with such questions rattling around inside my brain.

Sincerely,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)