Freaking out about scleroderma, why?

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Freaking out about scleroderma, why?

Postby Jennhaz on August 15th, 2006, 9:18 am

I do not know what is wrong with me since this darn BFS but before it started I thought I had sojogrens and scleroderma,,now that I know I have BFS it is like I am feeling that it is caused from some autoimmune and I will now get more things wrong with me.

I have up by the first joint of middle finger, that looks like a callus...it is where you get calluses when you write alot but it is white, discolored skin but is hard. Then down on other knuckle of that finger I have a bump, not as white and does not look like hard skin but something on bone. I am freaking out thinking I have scleroderma. I look it up on internet and start freaking more..My mom does have RA and they think I do, which scares me more because there is a chance, slim chance but chance you can get scleroderma from that.

It just seems strange that when I get BFS I have and had all of these other symptoms too...all at once..Grrrrrrrr..so sick of mind spinning...Any suggestions....Jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

"Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans!!"
Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on August 15th, 2006, 9:49 am

Jenn, you have just begun to heal. It was such a beautiful day when you told us about your successful neuro visit, we were all ecstatic.

Now you are picking at the edges of your healing, the scab that has formed over that former open wound. Forget about scleroderma and all those other things. Keep the momentum of your healing going, this is real and can be relied upon. The other stuff is conjecture, and just the old fear trying to take root again. Don't allow it.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on August 15th, 2006, 12:59 pm

Jenn,

I, too, have worried about scleroderma in the past.

From what you describe, at least to me, it doesn't sound like it. My husband's busines client's wife has scleroderma (has had it for 15 years) and when she was diagnosed, her GP took one look at both hands and knew something was wrong. She was then sent for additional testing.

Do you suffer from Raynaud's syndrome?

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby Jennhaz on August 15th, 2006, 1:46 pm

I have been wondering that. I do know for years that when I get cold my feet and hands get really cold..sometimes have to run them under water because if I dont they are numb and tingly. I never had the white fingers they call it or them turning blue. My fingers have not been swelling or anything..but middle finger has two hard white spots on them for no reason. The one spot isnt where a callus would be, so I am thinking raynauds or scleroderma...oh s*** that will suck...Maybe I should go to the Dr. today, I dont know. I really am freaking out. I have noticed dents in my joint by tip of fingers for months now but thought it was because I lost weight but now I think it is all from this. :( ...Jenn
Jesus bore my sickness and carried my pain. Therefore I give no place to sickness or pain. For God sent His Word and healed me. (Ps.107:20)

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on August 15th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Jenn,

In Raynaud's, your hands/feet would turn a very bright red or an unmistakable blue or both. Also, a LOT of women suffer from Raynaud's and nothing more.

I was so concerned about Scleroderma one year I did nothing but stare at my hands every day. I kid you not.

I started noticing all types of weird things, white bumps, red spots, you name it. My hands are slightly swollen every morning and that freaked me out. My doc asked if I drank a lot of water before I went to bed, when I said yes, he immediately said "water retention". This was years and years ago.

It's easy for me to say try not to worry, as I worry myself. But honestly, from what I read about scleroderma, you'd be in a lot worse shape.

Hang in there,

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on August 15th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Oh, Jenn,

Everyone's hands get red (even my husband's) especially after they warm up from the cold. And the white, my entire family gets whitish fingers when cold.

Have you ever seen pictures of Raynaud's? They turn an eerie looking white - almost as white as a piece of paper.

I didn't want you to fret over color that is normal.

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby Jennhaz on August 15th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Ginny,

I do the looking at my hands for months now, it drives me crazy.

I did read on how the hands turn diff colors and mine dont like that. I am just worried about the two white bumps, I am going to the Dr. tomorrow to have him look at them, just so I will stop this nonsense..

No wonder I have bumps and my hands hurt..Im on the internet all day :) ..You are probably right, thanks Ginny..Jenn

Jennhaz
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)