Doctor visit

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Doctor visit

Postby JodiD on July 20th, 2006, 4:27 pm

I'm moving discussion of my medical issues to the off topic section since they're probably not really related to BFS.

A few of you had asked for an update after my doctor visit, so here it is. I went to the ENT yesterday, and the results are: (drum roll) a whole lot of nothing. The audiologist was on vacation, so they couldn't do an audiogram, which was the main reason for going to the ENT in the first place. So now I have to wait another 2 1/2 weeks for yet another appt. (I'll just have to keep hoping that what I have isn't rapidly progressive.)

First I had to wait a full hour in the waiting room, then another half hour in the exam room (which really could have used a decorative touch). By the time the doc finally came in, I had slipped into near unconsciousness and my brain was fairly unresponsive. He asked me to tell him my full history, which is tough when your brain's asleep. I managed to get out most of the details, and I'm kicking myself over the ones I forgot.

He did a very cursory examination (ear, nose and throat, of course). Then he quickly glanced through my MRI films, admitting that MRIs are not his thing. He insisted that I do a mini sleep study, which I thought was totally irrelevant and unnecessary, but I humored him and did it anyway. :roll: (All it entailed was taking home a little gadget and sleeping with a sensor on my finger to record pulse and oxygen levels.)

Hopefully more will be accomplished at the next appt, when I'll have the audiogram and also a CT scan*. I'm relieved that he ordered a CT scan because from what I've read (yes, I know, I read too much), it's the only way to rule out some things. He wasn't even going to do it at first. He seemed to be more interested in the sleep study :roll:. The CT scan was more of an afterthought when I told him that I thought my problems may involve some sort of infection.

So that's the current installment of my continuing saga.

Jodi

*I just hope they know what they're doing. The way the nurses were talking made me a little nervous. They said they would be getting their own CT scan machine in the office within the next couple of weeks, but they didn't seem to know how to schedule for it. That begs the question of whether they will know how to run it. I can see myself getting a big dose of radiation to top off my other problems. Of course then I could sue and live big. 8) That is, until the radiation sickness kicks in. :x
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby basso on July 20th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Jodi, have you thought that perhaps you might be suffering from all those halloween caramels that you ate so many months ago. That can be murder on a persons jaw. :shock:

You do know, of course, that I wish you very well indeed.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Christina on July 20th, 2006, 9:47 pm

Jodi,

Thanks for posting an update, I was thinking of you (as you know).

Glad things are ..so far so good!

Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby Chris swl on August 2nd, 2006, 6:37 am

Hi
My thoughts are with you and i am sure it will be worth the wait, you will be fine.

good luck
Chris
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on August 5th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Good Lord Jodi, I know that we got our shirts in knot and that your enormous love for me has been thus diminished, but surely you will come back to regale all with your life tales. I accept culpability for chasing you away with my infuriating optimism, but I will change...I promise darn it. I am working on a post, this very evening, that speaks of such gloom that it is actually raining inside my house, and I cannot separate my tears from the rain drops.

Okay, I'm being dramatic. Just please come back and let us know what is going down...ayight?

Now I just have to lure SuziQ back and we can really riot.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby TriJeff on August 6th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Wow, I just came here to sign the OPEC petition (not really), and what do I see; the Jodster posting in the lounge.

How goes it girl?

I went to an ENT once - it was totally useless. My other doctors seemed to know more about my sinuses then he did.

I’ve often considered that my symptoms are the result of my sinusitis, but who knows. I’m currently on Flonase for my sinuses and it seems to be working a bit. My CT showed really really bad sinuses.

Jodi, what kind of infection do you think you might have and what symptoms would support this?

I’m just curious if your symptoms are a close match for mine.

- Jeff
TriJeff
Saint
Saint

Postby JodiD on August 8th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Hey guys. I guess it's been a while since I posted. Sorry for the long delay, but thanks for remembering me and prodding me to come back. You may regret it though, because now I'm giving you the long version of my latest experiences. :wink:

I had my second appt with the ENT yesterday. I had decided to set my expectations very low because I've grown a little cynical about the whole medical profession. (I learned long ago that when you have no expectations of people, they'll never disappoint you.) The reason for that is that I had a follow-up visit with the neuro a couple of weeks ago, and it was less than stellar. The PA had the gall to suggest that my condition may be somatic. Then he refused to even consider doing any blood tests even though it's been a long time since I had any testing, and some of my blood tests have been consistently abnormal. He also said some things that made it clear to me that he doesn't know as much as he professes to know. I didn't even get to see the real neuro. The PA told me to go and have a colonoscopy. He didn't say to come back. It was clear that he didn't want to deal with me anymore. I was very depressed after that. :cry:

Anyway, the ENT appt yesterday was very strange. :shock: When I got there the power was out in the building, so I had to walk up 3 flights of stairs and sign in by flashlight. They were telling people to go home and they'd be rescheduled. I stayed. The power eventually came back on (yay), and after a pretty long wait I got in. I had a hearing test. My hearing's not bad, but it's a little worse on the right (the side with issues). I had a CT scan. It was a cool machine. You sit in a chair and the scanner rotates around your head. The problem, though, was that with the power outage they had to reboot the whole system, but it still wasn't working so they had to call tech support. It took forever. The nurse finally got it up and running. I was strapped in and ready to go, but she said that only a doctor is allowed to push the button. So I had to wait for the doc to come in. He finally showed up and asked, "What am I doing?" -- words that are sure to strike confidence into anyone who is about to be radiated by a machine that may or may not be working. It worked fine. However, they still needed to do another view, but by this time it was already after 6:00, and I had to pick my kids up from daycare before 6:15! So I had to rush to go get them. Luckily the daycare is really close by. But of course there was a stalled car in the turn lane, so I barely made it in time.

I brought the kids back with me to the Dr. They used all their charms on the nurses and netted some candy while I had my second CT scan. Then the nurses give me a restaurant gift card to make up for the delay, even though it wasn't their fault. So we got to go out to eat on the doc after the appt. The CT images were pretty cool. I asked the nurse if I could get a digital copy of them (I had my thumb drive with me). She was very nice and said she'd burn a CD and send it to me. :D (Oooo more stuff I get to obsess over!)

So when I finally got to see the doc, the CT images confirmed that I have some sort of major "blockage" in the right sphenoid sinus. (That's the one between the nose and the brain.) The doc doesn't know what it is, but it's been there for over a year. He decided to put me on a course of antibiotics AND steroids (generic Prednisone) to see what happens. So I'm on drugs now. It'll be interesting to see if the steroids stop the twitching. Steroids are one of the main drugs used to fight autoimmune illnesses, but I think they're usually reserved for severe cases. I go back in 3 weeks for a follow up.

Jodi
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TriJeff on August 9th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Sounds like a tough experience. I'm glad that you may finaly have an answer to your problems.

Hope it all works out. - I hav a good feeling about it.

- Jeff
TriJeff
Saint
Saint

Postby Wolverine on August 9th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Jodi,
You crack me up. And I mean that as a compliment.

What a horrible but possibly relieving story from you. Sounds like you might be getting much closer to finding out the cause of your symptoms and it doesn't sound like it is anything to serious.

Thanks for keeping us posted, I was thinking about how you were doing the other day. Hang in there and keep posting us with new news.

P.S., isn't it awesome how kids can do that to people? It is so easy for them to put smiles on people’s faces. Probably the same for frowns also though right. Especially for the parents. But you probably got the free dinner because of them. That's funny.
Wolverine
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)