any bfs'ers tennis fans?

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

any bfs'ers tennis fans?

Postby mart_mcg on June 6th, 2006, 10:19 am

i've been so wraped up in worry about my health that i didn't notice this board before. what a great diversion.

it's probably a long shot but are there any bfs'ers out there that follow tennis? anyone else enjoying the french open just now? any favourites to win and/or favourite players you are supporting? and only two weeks till the best of them all - wimbledon!

personally i'm very much enjoying the martina hingis comeback and if rafael nadal doesn't win roland garros (as much as he's not my favourite player) i'll eat my tennis shorts.

p.s. sorry to any (most?) bfs'ers who have no interest in this sport lol.
=]
mart_mcg

Postby Wolverine on June 6th, 2006, 10:27 am

Why does it matter? Do people that watch tennis twitch differently than people who don't? I just don't understand why this has to be posted. Or are you just trying to network and market tennis through this forum? Didn't you know you can't use this forum for this kind of thing.

Of course Mart I'm just kidding. Just that other people on this board might find that question you asked offensive.

I do not watch tennis, but I do know that football season is less than 3 months away. Lets talk then if you are a football fan, as I can talk forever about it. And I should calrify that I'm talking about American Football. Sometimes I forget this is a international forum.
Wolverine
Saint
Saint

Postby mart_mcg on June 6th, 2006, 10:37 am

i'm afraid i am not a football fan, wolverine, in the sense of the nfl. in fact my only knowledge of it comes from episodes of The Simpsons, so i'm afraid i might not be your best bet for a heated discussion about the next season.

i am however a football-as-in-soccer fan. world cup begins in only 4 days :D i trust you'll be rooting for your home country? sadly scotland are not in it due to the fact that they suck to the extreme. but hey, doesn't mean i can't enjoy it.
=]
mart_mcg

Postby Mork on June 6th, 2006, 11:52 am

Hi Mart,

Yes I'm a big tennis fan, take 2 weeks off every year to sit glued to Wimbledon. Been there loads of times too, even seen a final.

Watched some of the French today, Williams then Federer. Nedal does seem to be on a streak but I still wouldn't bet against Federer.

I play tennis too at my local club, or rather I did but have just started again.
Mork
Hero
Hero

Postby 1TwitchingTherapist on June 7th, 2006, 10:06 am

Hi all,

I am not a tennis fan (I am not into sports, but my family is - they watch and play tennis ) but I just wanted to respond to Wolverine's post because I found it absolutely hilarious! -- The funniest thing about it is that it's true! - Just look at some of the responses to my thread ... sheesh!! :)

Mart, I found it particularly adorable that you put a lil disclainer at the bottom of your initial post apologizing for posting this topic for those with no interest in tennis. Hehe -- this is an "off-topic-conversation" thread; Hun, you can post whatever topic interests YOU.

~Tanya

Wolverine wrote:Why does it matter? Do people that watch tennis twitch differently than people who don't? I just don't understand why this has to be posted. Or are you just trying to network and market tennis through this forum? Didn't you know you can't use this forum for this kind of thing.

Of course Mart I'm just kidding. Just that other people on this board might find that question you asked offensive.

I do not watch tennis, but I do know that football season is less than 3 months away. Lets talk then if you are a football fan, as I can talk forever about it. And I should calrify that I'm talking about American Football. Sometimes I forget this is a international forum.
1TwitchingTherapist

Postby Mork on June 7th, 2006, 10:11 am

mart_mcg wrote:i am however a football-as-in-soccer fan. world cup begins in only 4 days :D i trust you'll be rooting for your home country? sadly scotland are not in it due to the fact that they suck to the extreme. but hey, doesn't mean i can't enjoy it.

So are you going to support England then Mart.....? :D I support Scotland as well as England when they make it through :) , although in tennis I don't like Andy Murray or his mum :) , but I do like David Coulthard now he's not with Maclaren! :)
Mork
Hero
Hero

Postby Christina on June 7th, 2006, 10:23 am

Wolvy,

You have been warned repeatedly about not talking about football (the American kind) in the spring, or summer! I hope you don't need to be told again that some of us do not want to rush the seasons, especailly Football Widows...as they(we) are very sensitive about it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby Wolverine on June 7th, 2006, 10:29 am

Sorry, I can't help it. "Football widows" I had to explain that term to my wife last year. She said, "yep, that's me". Although I was kind of offended by that because I always said to myself I would not do that to my family. I think she was mostly kidding though. That is why I love TIVO. Spend the day with my family on Sunday, then watch football at night when the kids are in bed.
Wolverine
Saint
Saint

Postby mart_mcg on June 7th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Mork,

with regards to supporting England...i think if i did, my friends might disown me lol. however i can assure you that i won't NOT support them. i wish them well like i wish every team well, and like all the dullest people in history, i'll sit on the fence and stay neutral. like Switzerland.

hmm, maybe i should support Switzerland...

i too have a healthy dislike for both murray and his mum (who looks like one of my old PE teachers who i also wasn't the biggest fan of...) nice to see Screamus Williams brought to a halt by Vaidisova, think i'll be rooting for her as the underdog like a true Brit. as for the men's, i really can't see the Fed finally toppling Nadal on clay, he's just too good. though it was a bit of a cop-out that his quarter-finals opponent retired against him...

and - i'm not a formula 1 fan. but i have a certain admiration for coulthard in coping with that truly humungous jaw. here we are on this board fretting about this little twitch and that little unevenness, and por David has to see that everytime he looks in the mirror...
=]
mart_mcg

Postby Mork on June 7th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Aha Glasgow. nice city, nice museum/art gallery, Dali's Christ on the cross is fantastic. I have a friend who lives in Erskine, Alli Curtis, do you know her? LOL :) or Chris Balling? well you never know!
think i'll be rooting for her as the underdog
Yeah right, you pervert ;) me too, me too! Can't stand the Williams' although Venus is preferable, at least she doesn't make a ton of excuses every time she loses. Yes Nadal had an easy time of it. Okay, lets have a wager on this, I say Federer :)

You do know England are going to win..... hahahahahahahahahah! :)
Mork
Hero
Hero

Postby mart_mcg on June 7th, 2006, 12:33 pm

lol i have a mate from uni who lives in erskine too! fraid it's neither of those people though. glad to see you're a fan of the city.

i swear, i always want the underdog to beat the big guns! but yeh, it helps when they're quite hot lol. was sad to see sharapova go aswell...and yes, i'm not a fan of the williamses. especially not their father. they should just be honest and get into fashion design full-time, it's pretty clear they'd rather do that.

ah ok, i say nadal. and even then, you can't rule out nalbandian either. :P

i'm at T In The Park at the World Cup Final, so if England do make it that far it'll be absolute chaos...should be fun.
=]
mart_mcg

Postby Wolverine on June 7th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Looks loke tennis is much bigger in Europe than in the States
Wolverine
Saint
Saint

Postby Mork on June 7th, 2006, 12:59 pm

But I thought EVERYTHING was bigger in the states! :)

No I don't think so, you just happen to have found a couple of fans. Most people I know can't stand tennis, it's not so big in the UK. Football (soccer) has by far the biggest fan base over here.
Mork
Hero
Hero

Postby Alayne on June 7th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Don't forget that England won the Rugby Union World Cup in 2003, Mork! :D Football, tennis, rugby, I love it all!
Alayne
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Mork on June 7th, 2006, 4:15 pm

Oh yes Alayne- a game played by men with odd shaped balls ;) then we must mention cricket and snooker, we are good at some sports :) oh yes rowing, curling (for Mart) sailing, hockey? polo? maybe not our strong points these days. Golf's pretty popular over here as is Poo sticks.
Mork
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)