Cannabis/Drug policy Reform Activism

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Cannabis/Drug policy Reform Activism

Postby vivian on December 28th, 2005, 9:34 pm

I am the executive director of the largest cannabis policy reform event in the world, Seattle Hempfest (http://www.hempfest.org)

There is a pain management crisis in America, and our drug policies and the war on drugs play a major role, along with the insurance companies, HMOs, and a variety of societal and economic reasons.

I am interested in hearing from similar BFS patients interested in reform.

Peace, Viv-
Vivian M.
Seattle BFS Person

"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much
as your own unguarded thoughts" - Buddha

- Om Ma Ni Pad Me Hum -
vivian

Postby SuziQ on December 28th, 2005, 10:51 pm

Vivian,
I think you'll have no trouble getting support from the hippies on this board. 8) Basso, Christina-care to chime in?

My ex-husband used to smoke pot when he was going through chemo treatment for a lymphoma that was diagnosed the day he turned twenty. It was the only thing that helped him. It was funny, because my mother (heaven rest her precious soul,) actually was trying to buy marijuana for my ex from her co-workers. When I look back on it now, it is completely hysterical-my mother, ladies and gentlemen!
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby vivian on December 29th, 2005, 1:33 am

Thanks, SuziQ. My father died of metastatic brain/lung cancer in my home, and he remained stable for nearly 2 months longer than doctors said possible, because of pot brownies. He weighed at 85 lbs when he died.

As a BFS patient who looks alternative culture, I have experienced the discrimination, ridicule and distrust some in the medical community have of people who claim these types of non-provable physical symptoms. I was accused of trying to get drugs, of trying to get welare. All the time I was feeling like I had been embalmed.

Half of it is they are afraid of the federal government. Nowe there are these "narcotic monitoring agreements" they are making patients sign, taking more of our indivisual liberties away and our ability to have control of our health care, in the name of abuse prevention.

I work with people who have all kinds of diseases that I am apparently not supposed to mention here, who benefit from Med MJ, who are marginalized by the system, and desperately need someone to advocate for them. Drug policy reform that puts the patient first and the corporations last needs to be enacted so we can guarantee the best healthcare possible for the lowest people on the economic ladder. That is what makes America great, not how many CEO's get a raise each year! Woot!

He he, here I go again getting all carried away. Anything to distract myself from the buzzing and twitching, LOL!!

Peace, Viv-
Vivian M.
Seattle BFS Person

- Om Ma Ni Pad Me Hum -
vivian

Postby Christina on December 29th, 2005, 11:04 am

Hey Viv,

I think that it has been well documented that pot helps chemo patients greatly. I never will understand the problem there.

It's been years for me...I find that wine helps, but makes BFS worse the next day. How about pot...anyone out there have any info on how it has helped their twitches? And the next day.

I may have to raid my sons room.

You Seattle people.....still grunging along.

Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby vivian on December 29th, 2005, 3:23 pm

Ya know, the stuff could grow green antennaes on everyone that uses it and I would still not understand how putting people in jails and prisons is somehow not worse than being relaxed for an hour on some pot. Pot isn't good for ya? Well neither is prison, eh?

As for me, I am a legal Washington State medical marijuana patient. I can, and do smoke pot whenever I want, relatively free from threat of prosecution. And as a responsible adult in a free country I think that is just how it should be.

Pot does and does not help my symptoms. In can calm the twitching just a little, but make the buzzing in my legs and feet worse! But it helps me in two distinct areas more than it hurts...

Sleeping and Stress.

I am a practicing Tibetan Buddhist, so clarity of mind is important to me.
But so is sleeping, functioning and mental health.

I have come to the concusion that anything toxic to the immune system or central nervous system makes me feel worse, pot included. So I have to do a cost/benefit analysis of each situation. This is my life, so only I can make the decisions and choices which ultimately effect me directly.

Pot hels me relax, and relaxation is almost impossible under normal circumstances.

Once again, THANK GOD FOR THIS SITE!!!!!

And I cannot raid my kid's pot, because they alrady raid mine!!!
(OK, they are 21, 26 and 28 years old, so put your teeth back in your mouth!)
Vivian M.
Seattle BFS Person

- Om Ma Ni Pad Me Hum -
vivian

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)