Ahh...the romance.....where did it go?

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Ahh...the romance.....where did it go?

Postby SuziQ on December 24th, 2005, 9:58 pm

I went to an Assisted Living today to spread some holiday cheer. My congregation does this a few times a year or so, and as always we end up getting much more out of it than what we put in.

As I was singing some old tunes, I was drawn to their simplicity, their innocence, and the sheer romance of it all.

"I'm in the mood for love....simply because you're near me.....funny, but when you're near me....I'm in the mood for love...
....heaven is in your eyes...bright as the stars we're under....Oh! Is it any wonder? I'm in the mood for love..."

Sigh. How wonderful it must have been back then. These songs make my toes curl, lol.

So it got me thinking of ways to bring about love and romance in this present age,(and in my own life)and I'm looking for suggestions.

One thing my honey and I do is we celebrate each other one day a week. Since my name (and his name) lend themselves, we celebrate "Suesday" and "Briday". On "Suesday," I get whatever I want, and on "Briday," he gets whatever he wants, lol. :wink: Usually on "Suesday" I like to just go for a walk and hold hands, or see a movie, or spend the evening playing board games. "Briday" probably bears no further explanation, lol.

So what do y'all do? Those of you who are married, and those who are otherwise. Or what would you LIKE to do to bring some romance into your lives?
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on December 26th, 2005, 11:00 am

What!...You don't find the rap singers talkin bout hoes and bytches romantic? That is pretty sad isn't it! I think the youngin's are still very much aching for the simplicity of the past; yet our society has become entirely convoluted through access to mass-media. Even Barbie's curves look voluptuous and ample compared to some of the wraiths that are paraded under our noses. Look at low-rider jeans. Does anyone think these things look sexy or just plain awful? Even girls with nice figures look like they've got love handles sticking out. Any as for the guys, some of their pants are so low you'd swear they just dumped a load of poo poo in there. It is patently obvious that these jeans exist because they can charge the same amount for less fabric; hence bigger profits.

The delicious discomfort with which teens and young adults used to feel when getting acquainted has gone by the way-side in favour of the "let's get it on" mentality. I am anything but a prude, but I think it is sorrowful how in matters-of-the-heart, the younger generation don't have a clue, for the most part, how to engage one another.

Hearkening back to a simpler time can be a fools-game because we have our rose coloured glasses firmly in place. In some areas of social justice we have advanced our society to be sure, but in terms of romance we are more bereft than we ever were.

Cheers,
Basso

oops, sorry SuziQ, that was a little serious wasn't it? :D
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on December 26th, 2005, 11:25 am

basso wrote:oops, sorry SuziQ, that was a little serious wasn't it? :D

No, you are right on, Sir Basso. This is exactly what I was talking about.

And I get what you are saying that the simpler era had its shortcomings for sure.

But, I guess I AM a total prude when it comes to romance. I should like to have doors opened for me and dance cheek to cheek (and I'm not referring to butt cheeks here either, lol.)

Yes, back in my day I was equally guilty of bypassing the formalities of "hello," and "can we meet for coffee sometime," in favor of instant gratification. But now that I'm older, I really wish I had done things differently. I mean, I wasn't a total sl-ut, but I wasn't as discerning as I ought to have been. I am fortunate that I've suffered no ill effects from my flakey behavior-or haven't I? Now that I know all that I've missed, I long for it all the more. I wish I could recount much more hand holding and less bump and grind, lol. If I had teenage kids, I would want to impress this upon them, but I fear it wouldn't really penetrate their thick and stubborn skulls.

Thankfully, it isn't too late and romance doesn't have to end in marriage, lol. And my husband is certainly not lacking in that department.
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on December 26th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Yes, back in my day I was equally guilty of bypassing the formalities of "hello," and "can we meet for coffee sometime," in favor of instant gratification

Darn, how come I didn't meet you when I was younger. :wink:

In our androgynous times, I would like to think it is because of a preoccupation with some kind of equality that has led to confusion over how men and women are to behave with each other. However, it seems as though we can not exactly decide what connotes equality, and that which does not. With the prevalence of the "bump and grind" on the dance floor, it would indicate that the more affluent a society, the more reductionist it becomes; and pure pursuits of the heart and intellect (romance, poetry, songs) fall by the wayside in favour our baser instincts.

Is there not a happy medium between the burka and passionless humping?

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on December 26th, 2005, 5:49 pm

basso wrote:Darn, how come I didn't meet you when I was younger. :wink:

Umm...basso-I'm not sure if you could have handled me. :wink:

basso wrote:Is there not a happy medium between the burka and passionless humping?

Not sure. See-I personally LIKE the traditional man/woman, husband/wife, girl/boy roles. I like being a girly-girl. I also like to dominate, but in a passive way, so as to leave the man feeling that he is still in charge. 8)

Or perhaps I just prefer to pick my battles judiciously.

At any rate, we seem to be the only folks here on the bfs board with any interest in this topic. What does THAT tell you? Does romance stop after bfs?
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby JodiD on December 26th, 2005, 7:49 pm

SuziQ wrote:Does romance stop after bfs?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Are you kidding? Doesn't romance have to start before it can stop? But you've already heard enough from me on this subject so I'll go sit in my corner and be quiet. :twisted:

Jodi
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SuziQ on December 26th, 2005, 8:44 pm

JodiD wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Are you kidding? Doesn't romance have to start before it can stop? But you've already heard enough from me on this subject so I'll go sit in my corner and be quiet. :twisted:

Aww, Jodi, you just haven't found a guy worthy of your many charms yet.

He'll be along, and until then, we don't mind hearing from you re: your ideas of romance and who you would consider your ideal Prince Charming.
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)