Could this by why? Is Barbie seeking revenge?

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Could this by why? Is Barbie seeking revenge?

Postby SuziQ on December 21st, 2005, 4:15 pm

I found this article on Yahoo news and I just had to chuckle. I did torture my Barbie as a child. No sooner would she arrive home in the box, she would be stripped naked and left that way, in various contorted positions-head turned all the way around, a shadow of her former beauty queen self. I always hated Barbie for being blonde, unrealistic and perfect.

We often left her naked and bound in the middle of the road as cars ran her over.

We also threw her in the river (again-naked-what was up with that?) and ran downstream to await her bobbling body to resurface.

Are there any others who have similar grizzly accounts?

Perhaps this is why I twitch? Some cosmic backlash for mis-treating Ms. plastic-blonde-assault-on-my-childhood-self-esteem BIMBO!

LONDON - Barbie, beware. The iconic plastic doll is often mutilated at the hands of young girls, according to research published Monday by British academics.

"The girls we spoke to see Barbie torture as a legitimate play activity, and see the torture as a 'cool' activity," said Agnes Nairn, one of the University of Bath researchers. "The types of mutilation are varied and creative, and range from removing the hair to decapitation, burning, breaking and even microwaving."
Researchers from the university's marketing and psychology departments questioned 100 children about their attitudes to a range of products as part of a study on branding. They found Barbie provoked the strongest reaction, with youngsters reporting "rejection, hatred and violence," Nairn said.

"The meaning of 'Barbie' went beyond an expressed antipathy; actual physical violence and torture towards the doll was repeatedly reported, quite gleefully, across age, school and gender," she said.

While boys often expressed nostalgia and affection toward Action Man — the British equivalent of GI Joe — renouncing Barbie appeared to be a rite of passage for many girls, Nairn said.

"The most readily expressed reason for rejecting Barbie was that she was babyish, and girls saw her as representing their younger childhood out of which they felt they had now grown," she said.

Nairn said many girls saw Barbie as an inanimate object rather than a treasured toy.

"Whilst for an adult the delight the child felt in breaking, mutilating and torturing their dolls is deeply disturbing, from the child's point of view they were simply being imaginative in disposing of an excessive commodity in the same way as one might crush cans for recycling," she said.

Manufacturer Mattel, which sells 94 million Barbies a year worldwide, said the doll remained the "No. 1 fashion doll brand."

Mattel U.K. said that despite the findings of "this very small group of children, we know that there are millions of girls in the U.K. and across the world that love and enjoy playing with Barbie and will continue to do so in the future."
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby Christina on December 21st, 2005, 4:59 pm

Suzi, I used to cut my Barbies hair off...and leave them looking quite ill. My Mother used to say to this " we are not hairdressers darling, we go to hairdressers" yeeesh.

So maybe twitching isn't about torturing Barbie, it is about repressed dreams and aspirations. Maybe I wanted to be a hairdresser and nobody heard my silent cry for help?

We might get to the bottom of this yet, and then we will write papers for JAMA, I can see it all now !

Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on December 21st, 2005, 5:35 pm

Wow-I never thought of it that way.

I just thought I was a sadist, and here my abuse of Barbie was really just a repressed desire, struggling to be realized.

Do you suppose that is why I used to occasionally pull my dog's tail as well?

Well-you know what "they" say-it's never too late.

Here-you can give me a virtual new "do" if it makes you feel better.

Suzi-(ducking from Christina's twitching scissor hands.)
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby Floater on December 21st, 2005, 7:06 pm

Why cant Barbie have children?

Because ken comes in a box..
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on December 21st, 2005, 7:40 pm

:shock: :twisted: :roll: :lol:
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on December 21st, 2005, 8:35 pm

You guys are scaring me. :shock: I loved my barbies and played with them with great care and deference. They are such beautiful toys; like people really. They are what people should be anyway. Always smiling, never saying mean things. Barbie can't help it if she has gorgeous hair, and firm boobies. Why do you have to criticize her, she is like anyone else; she just wants to be loved. You might think that she is perfect but she is not, and it has caused her great pains. I know, because I have the same problem. We both have such badly inverted nipples that it seems as though we don't have any at all. Only Barbie understands this kind of terrible hurt. We have hugged each other often and cried ourselves to sleep too. I know at heart that you guys are nice people, and if you could only come to the next Barbie-thon then you would see how nice Barbie is. The title of this years Barbie-thon is BFS (Barbie Forever...Shazaam) I look forward to seeing you there. What's that Barbie?, oh yeah, she says that she forgives you and is looking forward to meeting you too. You see, she is sooo wonderful. (sigh)

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on December 21st, 2005, 9:34 pm

:cry:

Does this mean that Babs has bfs too? Is it my fault for letting her get run over?

Now I have guilt!
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby Floater on December 21st, 2005, 10:44 pm

you know i use to torture insects... maybe thats why god has cursed me with bfs!
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby Christina on December 22nd, 2005, 9:41 am

Hey Wait Barbie ! Just because I cut your hair off, I still loved you...I just cut your hair to *beep* off my Mother. I realize that now after some years on the couch. I didn't run you over or anything like Suzi !

And even though I don't have inverted nipples like you and Basso doesn't mean that I can't relate to your pain! I want to go to the BFS convention. Let me know when it is.

Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)