Thanksgiving

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thanksgiving

Postby Christina on November 23rd, 2005, 8:38 am

Well, after watching Ted Koppels farewell show last night on Nightline...and seeing the whole topic was "Tuesdays with Morrie" (help).I of course could not sleep most of the night. They kept showing him (Morrie) in interviews. The poor man was being so brave...and all I keep thinking is how he is moving his hands and I can still move mine...and he has had it for so long at that point. So this (what I have ) really could be ***. I could have turned it off at any time, should have turned it off at any time. It was kind of like watching a car wreck, you don't want to look, but you cannot look away. I was waiting for a glimmer of hope that would point away from me. How selfish I am.

Then it was 1 a.m., and you know how that is. Everything seems much worse at that hour. It is like the lyrics to that old old song, "in the wee small hours of the morning". The intro begins : "when the sun is high in the afternoon sky, you can always find something to do. But from dusk till dawn, as the clock ticks on....something happens to you. In my case I turn into a neurotic idiot. During the day, not too bad. At night, kids tucked in, husband snoring I should be thankful and relaxed. Why should a show like that panic me???? Don't even answer that. Anyone else find the nights particularly bad???

Well anyway, tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the old U.S.A. A tribute to the pilgrims and such. In my house the kids think it is the official start of the Christmas season and will begin having visions of expensive over priced gifts dance through their heads. The visiting relatives think it is a time to sing loudly ,and argue about things that happened 20 years ago. I am going to try in between cooking 95,000 pounds of food, and drinking large quantities of wine ( my Mother has become somewhat critical in her old age...so I drink my way throught the holidays) To be Thankful for ALL that I have. Including all of my new friends on this site. I wish all of you who are celebrating the happiest, twitch free day ever. And to all of you who are not celebrating I wish wonderful things too. I am so thankful that you all have been here to listen to me whine, complain, and tremble and have never let me down and always posted help.

God Bless, and let the season begin !! And don't forget to let the wine breathe for a few moments before pouring.

Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on November 23rd, 2005, 9:03 am

As I sit drinking my tea and eating a piece of toast with peanut butter and jam, and an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie (natch), I am unsure whether to have my keys follow the humour in your posts, or the seriousness.

Holy sh*t, I have to be at work in 20 minutes (no I'm not joking), will post later.

cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on November 23rd, 2005, 9:13 pm

Beautiful and true post, Christina.

I feel the same way. Today, my mood was not so great (don't know why, it was a gorgeous, sunny day), but all I could think of is what I needed to do, etc.

I then stopped and thought for a moment. I then counted all of my blessings, of which I have many, and thought of all of the other people in the world who are truly suffering, those that do not have enough to eat, those who are lonely, unloved, etc. I began to cry. Here I am freting over what ISN'T done, and thinking --- this is the worst of my problems today? How selfish I am.

I want to add that I, too, am thankful for the cyber friends I've made on this site, you've helped me more than you will ever realize. I want to thank God for my good health and that I am able to walk, play, enjoy the day, plus all the love I have in my life.

I don't usually "go public" with these thoughts, but what the hay, right?

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate, and to our Canadian and European friends - Have a wonderful, peaceful, happy day.

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on November 23rd, 2005, 11:12 pm

Everyday is Thanksgiving, at least the way we live it can be. In our Western society it is hard to give thanks because we have so much. It is one of the ironies of success, that we should be dissatisfied when our shelter and food needs are taken care of. This is also true of our health, I believe. That because we have an abundance of wellness in "the West," we have never found so much to feel ill about.

This community has proven that our humanity needs a shake from time to time, and it is infinitely preferable to have BFS than to go hungry, or to war (with due considerations to those in Iraq). There are over 1400 souls who have joined this forum, and just think how many lives collectively we can, and have, touched because of our experience with BFS. It almost makes you believe in some kind of purposefullness to our ailment, beyond just what we have personally received spiritually.

These are my reflections on Thanksgiving. Along with the liberal helpings of food and drink; also give care to dish out ample servings of love: even to our critical Mothers. :shock:

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby grover on November 28th, 2005, 11:56 pm

well put, mr. basso.

just curious: whereabouts in Canada is home to you?

cheers

andrew
grover

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)