Charitable deeds

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Charitable deeds

Postby JodiD on November 19th, 2005, 1:10 am

I have an odd situation going on at my house right now. I live in a very nice area and have a large yard that I've never been able to manage very well, but this past summer was especially bad since I wasn't able to do any yardwork at all because of the fatigue and weakness I was experiencing. So my yard has been full of weeds, but I haven't worried too much about it. (I do hire a boy to mow the lawn.) I figured that by next spring I'll hopefully feel better and be able to get the yard in shape.

Recently a leader from my church came over and told me that they want to help me out and do some work on my yard. He was elusive about the details. I reluctantly said okay, whatever, but I really didn't expect anything to happen because I tried to convince him that it really wasn't necessary. Then the other morning a huge dumpster was delivered in front of my house, and several hired Mexican workers have been working fulltime on my yard for the past 2 days. :shock: I don't even know if they're done yet.

Now I know that the money for a project like this wouldn't come from the church, and I doubt that the landscaper is doing it for free. The only thing I can think of is that one of my neighbors must have anonymously offered to pay for it. So I've been wondering who that may be. Then it hit me. :idea: It might be the neurosurgeon I went to last month for my herniated disc. He's my neighbor, and he's also a church leader. After my visit to his office last month I just assumed that he would tell the other church leaders about my health issues, but so far no one has said a word to me about it. Then it dawned on me that it's against federal law for doctors to disclose information about patients. So maybe this is his way of doing something without telling.

I kind of feel awkward :? to be in this position, but I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for his (or whoever's) generosity and kindness. :D

Jodi, who has always had a hard time accepting help from others
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby basso on November 19th, 2005, 7:20 am

A prospective suitor on the horizon?

In regards to the help, I would like to quote Kahlil Gibran.

"Receivers...assume no weight of gratitude, lest you lay a yoke upon yourself and him who gives. Rather rise together with the giver on his gifts as on wings; for to be over mindful of your debt is to doubt his generosity."

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby JodiD on November 19th, 2005, 2:18 pm

There's one other thing that makes me think it's the neurosurgeon who's behind this. I'm now remembering the conversation I had with his assistant. I told him about the fatigue I'd had all summer and not being able to do any yardwork, and even that my yard was full of weeds. I guess it didn't occur to me that he would repeat the conversation to the doc, but he probably did.

A prospective suitor on the horizon?

My only response to this is ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol: I think not.

"Receivers...assume no weight of gratitude, lest you lay a yoke upon yourself and him who gives. Rather rise together with the giver on his gifts as on wings; for to be over mindful of your debt is to doubt his generosity."

Now them's wise words, which I'll have to take into consideration.

Jodi
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)