Waxing philosophical

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Waxing philosophical

Postby JodiD on October 16th, 2005, 4:30 pm

Like most of you, when all these weird symptoms started, I thought I had some dreadful terminal illness. So I thought a lot about my life and evaluated where I am in the grand scheme of things. I concluded that I'm not ready to die. I hadn't yet done all of the things that I had assumed I would do in this life.

Overall, I'm happy with my life. I have a good career, I've designed and built my dream home, I've adopted 2 great kids, I've been able to travel and do interesting things, and I have a wonderful and supportive family. The one glaring exception is that I've never been married. I'm now 46, so I guess I've kind of missed the boat of that one, but I always figured I'd probably get married before I'm so old that you can't see me through my wrinkles :)

When my symptoms started, I thought I had was MS. I realized that a person with MS would have about a zillion-to-one chance of getting married (as opposed to the million-to-one chance that I previously had). That was an eye opener for me, and it made me sad :cry:

I have since been thoroughly tested for MS, which I apparently don't have. Ditto for ALS (which has a gazillion-to-one chance for marriage). Now that I know that I'm probably not dying (at least not now anyway), I have a new lease on life 8) I don't expect that my marriage prospects have gotten any better because of it, but I think going through the "think you're dying" experience may actually be a good thing because it makes you appreciate life more, and not take it so much for granted. Now if I could only think of some exciting things to do with my kids that don't wear me out :?

Jodi
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby basso on October 16th, 2005, 6:10 pm

Hi Jodi:

Anything that makes us "wake up and smell the roses," is definitely not all bad. We carry with us an energy that tells the world that we welcome them or that we do not. Even when we have a "good" life, and all that entails, there are often preoccupations that create disturbances within us. There is s sense of self that is inexplicably unsettled, there is a disconnect between our mind and our spirit. Although others may sense this as brusqueness, brashness, shyness, or whatever, the signal is the same; don't get too close. I know myself that people were often leery of me for what I might say, or perhaps do. Better to avoid Basso. Sometimes at social gatherings, even when I hadn't said anything, I would find people poking fun at me (oh, boo hoo :cry: ) or sparring with me verbally, because my energy put the challenge out there to them. I parallel your experience in that I swiftly and suddenly took stock of my life. My energy is quite different these days and I find that others warm to quickly, and in some cases are quite eager to talk. (this is only of consternation to my wife who is outrageously jealous, hey I'm handsome, I won't deny it. JK :lol: ) A teacher once described me as that looming presence in the hallway and told me that the principle was terrified of me, I really had had no idea.

I would bet that your prospects of a relationship will dramatically increase, just as your appreciation of life has. :D People pick up on this and soon you will be beating them off with a stick. Your posts prove that you are capable, articulate, (this last post: funny), and thoughtful to boot. I mean this genuinely.

As to your kids, well....kids are exhausting. One thing that I learned though about raising kids is it is not quality time that is important, but rather quantity time. They just want lots of you, not little snippets where you take them to the zoo or something, only to find that they misbehave the whole time.

Great to hear a little of your story, your life sounds pretty great.

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby JodiD on October 16th, 2005, 9:33 pm

basso wrote:I would bet that your prospects of a relationship will dramatically increase, just as your appreciation of life has. :D People pick up on this and soon you will be beating them off with a stick. Your posts prove that you are capable, articulate, (this last post: funny), and thoughtful to boot. I mean this genuinely.

Thanks basso. Ah, if only it were true. But alas, relationships require two people. The way things are going in my life, I can't see how I'm ever even going to meet an eligible man, let alone marry one, unless he happens to be a neurologist or something :lol:
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby basso on October 17th, 2005, 10:47 am

Be careful Jodi, you might start getting advances from single BFSers, and who would want a neurotic, hypocondriac, whiner, freakazoid as a partner. :lol: :lol:

There has even been an incident on another thread where somebody, who will remain nameless but they know who they are :lol: , revealed themselves in all their naked glory. I told to keep my eyes shut but I peeked. :oops:

Have a great, in keeping with Dande5's and my Disney theme, zippideedoodah (sp?) day,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby smnbfstoo on October 17th, 2005, 7:31 pm

OK, Basso, you weren't supposed to tell. I am sure your peeking kept you with a good laugh in your back pocket for the rest of the day. :lol: I'll join in....chitty chitty, bang bang, chitty chitty, bang bang, chitty chitty, bang bang, we love you!!! Have a good one!!
Sharon
smnbfstoo
Hero
Hero

Postby JodiD on October 17th, 2005, 11:50 pm

(Sensing an inside joke, and not quite sure what to do, she stealthly avoids the subject and continues on as if nothing had happened...)

I'll have to go out and find a big stick so I'll be ready when all the freakazoid BFSers start propositioning me. "Back, back, I say." How am I doing? Somehow, though, I think I'm safe since virtually every poster (as well as every man in the civilized world) seems to have a spouse.

I'm not sure where I was when that marriage boat sailed, but I sure missed it. And it's been years since any boats have passed this way. Luckily, I float pretty well without a boat, so I guess I don't really need one anyway. Besides, boats get barnacles, and they need continual maintenance. Who needs that?
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby basso on October 18th, 2005, 7:42 am

See following thread for inside joke:

http://nextination.com/aboutbfs/forums/ ... ght=#28105

Sounds like you boat is doing great. How old are your kids?

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby JodiD on October 18th, 2005, 5:07 pm

My kids are 8 and 5. You're right about kids being demanding. They regularly drain me to the point of insanity. My 8-year-old is the equivalent of 3 kids on the demandingness scale, and the 5 year old, who is a sweetie, is about half a kid, so I net about 3 1/2 kids even though I only have 2 :shock:

It's a good thing they're cute. Otherwise I would have killed them before now :twisted:
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby basso on October 19th, 2005, 7:25 am

I saw this on another thread and I was sure that it was meant for this one.

Christina said:
Jodi,
If you are in California...I have agreat cousin for you !!! He is 52, good looking, nice job, LOVES kids....and he is in my family so he understands health phobias!! LOL.....

There you have it, the offers are starting to roll in. I have a 45 year old friend but he just shacked up with a women of 20. I understand why he wants to but I'm not sure why she would. :roll:

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on October 19th, 2005, 7:35 am

Jodi:

I was just perusing through an older thread and I came across one of your first postings. When you contrast that to now when you are waxing philosophical, is that not amazing? You have come a long way indeed, in terms of your wellness. This is a testament, I believe, to yourself and to the remarkable healing properties of this board.

cheers,
Basso :D
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Christina on October 19th, 2005, 9:26 am

Jodi,

I enjoyed your post, and it sounds like you have it so together. I did post that accidently on another post that I had jumped to (trying to follow what is going on here gets confusing sometimes) Thanks Basso, for moving it. I meant it as a joke...sort of. He is a great guy and looking.

The point is that you sound like you are pretty great too, so I am sure that there are some wonderful people out there who would be so lucky to find you. Be visable, you'll get found.

Christina
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby JodiD on October 19th, 2005, 2:11 pm

You guys are too nice. And Christina, offering your cousin, now that goes over and beyond all internet courtesy guidelines. But since I don't live in CA, I guess I'll have to pass. It was a nice thought though.

I can see why people would think I have changed. But the truth is that the cold sterile obsessive person who used to post under my name is an imposter. The authorities have been authorized to track her down and deal harshly with her. (I hope they go gentle on her though because she clearly needs help.)

As to my prospects of getting married, well, I still say they are remote.

- Top 10 reasons why I'll probably never get married -

10 - :( Between having a full-time job and being a full-time mom, I have little time to breathe, let alone date.

9 - :? I never meet anyone new, and everyone I already know is married. (So not having time to date is a moot point anyway.)

8 - :shock: There is generally something wrong with single men over the age of 40 (no offense to single men over 40).

7 - :roll: Most single men over 40 tend to prefer women half their age.

6 - :? I'm not interested in men twice my age (no hospice training).

5 - :oops: Few men would be good enough for me, and if I ever found one who was good enough, chances are I wouldn't be good enough for him.

4 - 8) Happiness in all aspects of life would be too much to ask for, and I already have it in the others.

3 - :evil: All decent men on earth are either married, dead, or both married and dead.

2 - :?: Even if there really is an eligible man somewhere who is right for me, the chances of meeting him under the right circumstances are approximately infinity-to-1.

1 - :!: Who would want to marry someone with BFS anyway?

So with the grim prospect of continued singleness looming, I just may have to fill that Celexa prescription :cry:

Jodi
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Schuey on October 19th, 2005, 2:40 pm

Do we have a budduing 'Bassette' here?
Schuey
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on October 19th, 2005, 6:25 pm

Schuey:

What the heck is a budding bassette?

Bassi
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Schuey on October 19th, 2005, 8:52 pm

A female Basso of course!
Schuey
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)