Marathon Complete!

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Marathon Complete!

Postby Ginlyn on October 3rd, 2005, 2:27 am

Well, I finished!!! :D

My time was nothing to brag about, but I FINISHED! (I also have a funny story to tell---I actually ran almost 28 miles instead of 26.2 (I took a wrong turn on the course (when everyone was scattered) and went a mile out of my way! My husband and I are still laughing about it (although, it wasn't funny at the time with my feet feeling like they were going to fall off)

I do want to say, however, that it was a total celebration for me. I took a dream I had since I was 28 (I'm now 43) - something I always wanted to do, but never thought I could, and I did it. All the hard work in the summer heat, swollen feet and fingers, sore legs, were well worth that final step over the finish line. I had my doubts for the past six months, up until the night before, that I could finish a marathon. I mean, I'm no athlete, just a fitness jogger who doesn't really even like challenges (life is a big enough challenge, why create more? right?). I just can't describe the feeling of accomplishment and I encourage anyone to go after their dreams no matter how small or large and how out of reach they may seem.

What is funny is that BFS actually got me going on this marathon kick. I always doubted I could run one, and as I got older, aging was even a better excuse not to try. Then my calves began fasciculating and two things crossed my mind. 1) I need to keep testing my legs to see if they can become strong and 2) - If I do have the beginnings of ALS, I want to celebrate my ability to use my legs while I can. I've read where so many people on this board look at life differently since they started twitching and I guess I'm no exception.

Sorry for rambling on with my boring afterthoughts, but you all are my "friends" and I wanted to share this important day in my life with all of you and thank you all for your support.

When I stepped across the finish line and a man hung a medal around my neck he said: "Congratulations, you are no longer a runner, but a marathoner" I began to cry.

So I hope you don't get too annoyed with me when I sign off (just once)

The Marathoner,

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby fabfab on October 3rd, 2005, 2:46 am

Congrats Ginlyn !

Seems like you had the time of your life ! What a great accomplishment ! The thought of running alone is hard for me, but I might consider going to work on foot now, instead of taking the bus. Well, you have to begin something. Anyway, what you did is just great. I hope it will help you to erase the last trace of fear from your mind, if you still have any. I raise my glass of, well, water (it's 9.45 am here in Paris) in your honor.

Fabrice
Last edited by fabfab on October 3rd, 2005, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things. " Woody Allen
fabfab
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Schuey on October 3rd, 2005, 3:16 am

Well done Ginny!!!!!

Good on you girl......

Schuey
Schuey
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on October 3rd, 2005, 7:07 am

Dear Ginny:

The details are anything but boring. What a gift you have given the board today. You have posted often, offering words of advice and encouragement, inevitably well thought out and clear. The above post is all that and more. There is an eloquence that quite literally has stirred my heart. Thank you for this gift, this offering of yourself which I find quite remarkable.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby shae on October 3rd, 2005, 8:18 am

Ginny:

I can't imagine how wonderful you must have felt when you crossed that line. Your post was heartfelt and truly "basso like" ! Thanks for sharing and inspiring.
Shae
shae

Postby garym on October 3rd, 2005, 1:56 pm

Awesome!

Gary
garym

Postby Dave48073 on October 4th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Ginny,

Very well done! I knew you would do it.

:):)
Dave
Dave48073
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Lorgirl on October 5th, 2005, 8:12 am

Good for you. I had started running about six years ago with goals like that in mind. Unfortunately, I found out I had two herniated discs in my neck and can no longer run. I envy you that you were able to do that. I am also in my 40's now and just the fact that we exercise regularly is great, yet alone set a goal like you did and complete it is awesome.

I have a friend that runs marathons and she has stated how much harder it gets as she gets older. So, the fact that you did your first one at 43 years old is great.

Now it's time to make a new goal. It's always nice to have something to look foward to.

Since I can't run anymore, I power walk and do other things. My friend that runs marathons was talking about having the two of us possibly walk a marathon next summer. That way she wouldn't have to abuse her body as much training and we could do it together. It would be challenging that is for sure.

Take care.
Lorgirl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Alien Host on October 5th, 2005, 2:18 pm

Dear Marathoner

I have a feeling that your new feeling of accomplishment will transcend into other parts of your life.. We are all very very proud of you..

Doug
BFS Is A Mind Trip, It will scare You But Will Not Hurt You

Twitching since 10 2004 with a Dirty EMG, what's your excuse?

PPMA Prayer & Positive Mental Attitude
Alien Host
Hero
Hero

Postby Ginlyn on October 5th, 2005, 11:47 pm

Thank you all, really.

I'm already signed up to do another in December (the California International Marathon) here in Sacramento.

Lorgirl - There were quite a number of walkers in my marathon. One lady I talked to after the race had completed 88 in the past 10 years and ran one in Africa! Due to knee problems, she now walks them, but man, she can move! Have you tried walking a 1/2 marathon? My husband has a bad back and he walked the 1/2 the day I did the "whole". He finished in 3 hours and 10 minutes. He was moving!!!

Doug, I thought of all of you guys while running. You should have seen my calves when I finished. I thought I was going to fasciculate right out of my running shorts! :lol:

Thank you all for being my wonderful, supportive friends in all aspects of my life!

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby cinderella on October 18th, 2005, 10:59 pm

GREAT JOB GINNY!!!!!!!!! I wish I had half the drive it took to take that on!!! You're an inspiration to us all!!!
cinderella
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)