Just excited and want to share

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Just excited and want to share

Postby Ginlyn on August 6th, 2005, 5:18 pm

With the past year being stressful and my twitches causes me much grief, I'm so exicited that I'm going to get a new horse. (you horse people will especially understand)

We are actually adopting a wild mustang, and will have it trained by a woman in Oregon. We are going to start looking at the BLM "pens" this month!

I know, it may sound totally silly to some, but one of my great passions in life are horses.

This will give me something to really work on all winter (training, etc) and will hopefull get my mind off twitching!

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby jenn on August 6th, 2005, 11:15 pm

Hey Ginny,

Good for you! I am not a horse person, but I know it is always wonderful to have something to look forward to. I bet it will be fun to search for your new horse and I am sure you will enjoy her! Good luck. You'll have to tell us all about her.

Jenn
jenn
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on August 7th, 2005, 11:34 am

Congrats! That's so exciting and like you said, it will get your mind off of bfs.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby mml on August 8th, 2005, 7:53 pm

Hi Ginny It is wonderful that you are getting a new horse! I am a animal lover no horses though suberb liveing is not condusiv (sp) to that kind of life I envy you that you have the space to do this. I hope you get lots of enjoyment from him.
mml
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ginlyn on August 8th, 2005, 9:06 pm

Thanks you "guys"

It gives me something to really look forward to.

It also saves a "soul" from an uncertain future :D

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby felicia on August 8th, 2005, 9:58 pm

Ginny!
That is very exciting news!! It's like something out of the movies adopting a mustang. You'll have to send pictures and give updates!!! How many horses do you have? How did you go about adopting a "wild" horse? And what are BLM pens? As you can tell I don't have any horses. But my father lives at the racetrack so I do know some things by osmosis.
Good luck!!!
felicia

Postby Ginlyn on August 9th, 2005, 1:38 am

Felicia,

I will take a TON of pictures once we get him/her. I plan to do an internet photo blog.

BLM pens are Bureau of Land Management roundup areas. The mustang will actually be owned by the Federal Government for a year (I'll be a foster parent), then after a year, they visit your farm/ranch to make sure all is okay, they then send you a title to the horse if you are deemed a "good" parent. At least that is how it is suppose to work. (BLM is short staffed, of course)

Anyway, we will have someone "gentle" the horse (so they can be handled) then we will have the horse trained for trail riding. They make excellent mounts. Very sturdy, surefooted horses.

Sadly, right now, their future is uncertain. Ranchers lease BLM land for their cattle, and want to see the mustangs "disappear" (since they are in competion for sparse rangeland) They are suppose to be protected, but unfortunately they aren't in reality (lots of them are found shot on the open ranges, etc).

Personally, I would like to see them run free, but some are ending up in slaughter houses, dead, etc. So in a way, adopting this horse is rescuing a soul.

Sorry to blab on, I can't help it. Thank you for asking :D

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on August 9th, 2005, 9:10 am

Hi Ginny,

In Canada there are still a couple of places where wild horses have been allowed to roam free. One particular spot is on Sable Island, 300 miles off the coast of Nova Scotia. The horses have been roaming the Island since the 1700's. You can only go there with special permission from the government. I have included a link for your interest.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/sableisland ... ame_ho.htm

Good luck with your horse, it sounds challenging and fun. There is something terribly romantic about the idea that we still have an animal, as domesticated as a horse roaming the ranges.

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on August 9th, 2005, 4:14 pm

Basso,

Thanks SO much for the link! I really appreciate it!

I believe I saw a Discovery Channel show about these horses.

Thanks so much for thinking of me :D

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby bluetuth on August 10th, 2005, 6:45 am

I have always wanted to have a horse or at least try. Have you ever tried the Icelandic horse?
bluetuth
Interested
Interested

Postby Stephanie on August 11th, 2005, 9:41 pm

I went on a rescue mission once for horses on Premarin farms in Canada. Wish I could of taken one!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on August 11th, 2005, 11:51 pm

Ohh Stephanie, that is so wonderful!

I bet it just broke your heart.

I heard from many people that these foals make wonderful horses (and some quite large!)

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby felicia on August 31st, 2005, 11:18 am

Ginny,
Any news yet on your mustang?
:lol:

Felicia
felicia

Postby Ginlyn on September 5th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Felicia,

Sorry it took me a few to get to your question. I don't always visit this site regularly.

YES!!!!! We got him. He is beautiful. He is 2 1/2 and HUGE. He is going to be a big boy. We won't actually have him with us until late spring. He is with a wonderful trainer who works with wild horses in Oregon. He is being "gentled" with her, then he will be trained.

I am going to start a internet photo blog, and I will post pictures of him there. I'm already "in love" :D

His name is Cody. We are planning to get another one in a few months :shock: They are addictive!!!!

The whole experience was incredible.

Thanks for asking!

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby Ava on September 5th, 2005, 8:08 pm

Ginny,

Great news about your new horse. I wish I was a horse person -- I'm sure it's one of those experiences that keeps you young. I think I spent too much time in the city to fully embrace the horse experience but I'd love to ride one again sometime.

Mostly, however, I LOVE that you are so excited and happy about your new horse!!! It is so great to see that you've been able to truly break free from the anxiety to enjoy life fully. Sometimes I look back on my anxiety level during the early days of BFS and I'm so very grateful to be past that. I remember Gary posting that the bottom line is that it takes time to put it all in perspective. At least for me, this is true. I'm happy for you! :D

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)