London Bombings

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

London Bombings

Postby garym on July 7th, 2005, 8:59 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to take a minute and express my deepest sympathies to all those that were injured or killed (and their loved ones) in London this morning. As an American, I understand the shock and horror that an attack like this can cause and I pray that those of you in the UK find healing soon.

How do you fight an enemy that is willing to kill innocent women and children on the subway? If we (the United States) have proven anything over the past couple of years, it isn't as easy as just going to war. This board and the members here all show so much compasion for their fellow sufferers....The world could benefit from the example set in this place. Not once can I remember anyone asking about color, creed or religion on this board. We just all pull for each other in a very positive and uplifting way. To bad the rest of the world doesn't get the chance to think they are dying of some horrible, incurable disease just for a day.....It might just stop some of the insanity and lead to some healing.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby Ginlyn on July 7th, 2005, 9:29 pm

Very nice post Gary.

The only problem is that people crazy enough to set off bombs, well they probably don't even care if they die.

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby amy_twitch on July 8th, 2005, 1:06 pm

Gary, awesome post!

My thoughts are with all of our UK friends.

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby basso on July 19th, 2005, 2:25 pm

Gary,

Succinctly and articulately put, you have hit the nail right on the head.

Who really knows why anyone would willingly commit to being a suicide bomber, particularly if one is brought up in the West. However, it would seem that when people are vulnerable, they are wide open for suggestions no matter how cynical or wacky. Certain minds can be broken and then reshaped according to a dogma, that would seem to be a certain fact. We have always had evil doers with us and I guess we always will. There are those that seemingly need others to need them, they crave the power that they have over others, it is like a narcotic that constantly needs to be replenished.

Democracy is a seriously flawed system, but it would appear that it is the best that we have got. In that light, there seems to be enough balances and counter-balances that, at the end of the day, do a decent job. The pendelum seems to swing the other way, when need be: whether that be conservative or liberal. That we have to live with gross injustices, inspite of our best intentions, would seem to be our lot: and for most, it is a pretty good lot.

I agree with Gary that our BFS has made us more sensitive and caring people then we might otherwise have been. It is for this reason that our BFS is such a golden opportunity for change. It can be a catalyst to become more tolerant individuals, who put service to others ahead of self, and react to life as the gift, the miracle that it truly is. We know this because during our dark hours we gleaned the truth. We understood that life is not about running from thing to thing, distracting ourselves so as not to really feel, but rather to embrace the mundane. We become more patient with our families, with those in whom we come in contact with. As we share more of ourselves, as we listen to the concerns of others, no matter how trivial there is a real revolution of spirit. No bombs going off, just the ripple effect of our laughter, our love. Real change, lasting change: change that is not mutually exclusive but is for everyone.

cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby shae on July 19th, 2005, 2:37 pm

This world sometimes scares me to death. As a mother of a young boy sometimes it seems all I see is violence and death. Then just when you give up hope you see someone do a wonderful gift of kindess to another. My heart goes out to all victims of this recent attack. Basso, you have such a wonderful way with words. You should be a writer. Anyway, people on this site are from all over the world and we do reach out to help one another. It would be wonderful to see a world filled with as much kindness and compassion as we see from people on this site.
shae

Postby Linda on July 19th, 2005, 3:38 pm

Very nice of you all to mention this tragedy and to express sentiments. Thank you. It is very sad the way things are in this world.

Linda
Linda
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)