Horribly ironic!

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Horribly ironic!

Postby Dale on February 23rd, 2005, 12:10 pm

I was reading in the Ottawa Citizen two weeks ago (it was the Saturday paper) about a neuro in the States... I think he was in Califonia.

Anyway, the chap is in his early 50's and his specialty is ALS.

Would you believe the guy now actually has it?

I believe with him it started with weakness in his leg. I think he had back surgery because it was believed that his leg weakness was being caused by back problems. He then started having weakness in his arms & was diagnosed shortly afterwards.

He has offered himself as a test subject for new ALS research.

I guess what bothered me the most was reading about a Doc who specializes in ALS yet wasn't able to identify it early. I guess he just presented with symptoms that could be attributed to something other problem that was more common ie. back problems.

Horribly ironic.
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ava on February 23rd, 2005, 3:38 pm

You are referring to Dr. Olney, who was for years the director of the ALS Center at University of California in San Francisco. I think that early in his illness, he searched for a reason for his leg weakness - pinced nerve, etc. Someone with his expertise would likely not want to search for ALS. There is always hope until you actually diagnose ALS - knowing this, I'm sure he wasn't anxious for a confirmed diagnosis of ALS (my speculation). In any case, the disease soon presented in all its glory. He has, from what I've read a particularly fast moving case and he is quite disabled presently. This brave man did indeed forgo the known medical protocol which can extend life by a few months. He signed on for a blind study in order to further ALS research.

I read about Dr. Olney in the San Francisco Chronicle - this can be accessed http://www.sfgate.com He has a wife and children - I think they are teens or young adults. The article made me cry and his bravery has settled somewhere in my heart. He is an example to everyone of true bravery and strength.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)