Days like today

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Days like today

Postby garym on August 26th, 2004, 8:39 pm

Days like today make me feel so ashamed to not be living life to its fullest. Today, 8/26/1997 (Tuesday) I lost my dad to sudden and unexpected heart attack. In an instant my life was changed forever. After the dust settled, I made a promise to myself that i would never take one minute of life for granted, and I lived that way for several years. But as time passed, the pain and saddness fade to just memories and old habits creep back in. That is such a shame, because that life lesson was so hard to learn and should never be forgotten. But for me, the last year has been wasted and that lesson has not been put into practice. While I was so consumed with dying, I forgot to live! What a shame. Last year I was in complete panic on this very night, so much so that I forgot about my father. Tonight, I reflect on my life and his and shed a tear, because I know that with all his heart he would want me to live.

Lessons we could all benefit to learn, just not the way I did.

Take care,

Gary
garym

thanks

Postby dont on August 27th, 2004, 7:13 am

Thanks for sharing this Gary. I feel the same way when I look at my daughter.

I have had two friends in the space of one week have a heart attack and a stroke. Both are going to be okay but man what a wake up call it was.

They are pretty much contributing the stroke to stress because they can find no other cause.

I'm doing better this week and have been doing things nice for myself and I've got to start living and not worry about this. I could have a heart attack, stroke or get hit by a car tomorrow and die and even if my BFS could turn to ALS in months or years what good did it do me to suffer for so long if I could die of something totally unrelated tomorrow?????

So sorry about your father!

Thanks for the post. It made me and I'm sure many other think!

Take Care

Karen
dont
Hero
Hero

Thank you Gary

Postby jmlong on August 27th, 2004, 11:02 am

Gary, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, I am praying for you and your family. You are so right about living every day!
Like Karen I look at my two little girls and don't want to miss anything with them.
I even have a person to imitate in my life - my mom - she has terminal cancer yet she lives each day to its fullest and enjoys each day not letting the cancer rob her of the life she has left. I on the other hand have let this (whatever it is) rob the joy from my life for the last eight months.
Thank you for the post, the reminder to live every day!
Anytime you want to talk about dealing with your father passing away just remember that you have an open heart here.
May you be filled with grace and peace brother.
jmlong

To clarify previous post

Postby jmlong on August 27th, 2004, 11:15 am

Gary,
everything I just posted is from the heart, but if you were a little confused it was because I missed the date you put in the first line.
I still have an open heart to listen!
jmlong

Postby Ava on August 27th, 2004, 2:45 pm

Hey Gary,

Your words were beautifully stated and it sounds like you will have a wonderful day, although sad, remembering your father. Isn't it wonderful that the tragedy of your father's passing serves as a reminder for you to cherish life? Please do not be hard on yourself for last year. The BFS fog can get quite heavy with worry and doubt and there are many things we have all "missed" as a result.

I'm sorry for your loss and pray for your well being.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on August 27th, 2004, 5:11 pm

Guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. They mean alot to me.

Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)