Interesting blog post about RLS

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby trustme78 on November 28th, 2014, 10:56 am

At the first height of my scare I was convinced I had MS. So I took up researching and came across Terry Wahls. Some of you probably know her - for the others: She is physician that got diagnosed with MS and got herself out of a wheelchair after radically changing her diet. I read her book and it's pretty interesting. It's more or less a ketogenic version of the Paleo diet.

Anyway. I am reading her blog on a regular basis and recently there was post about RLS (restless leg syndrome).
http://terrywahls.com/eight-common-myth ... id-wimble/

I don't know much about RLS but I remember seeing a discussion about it on here. I looked up the symptom list on Wikipedia:

"An urge to move, usually due to uncomfortable sensations that occur primarily in the legs, but occasionally in the arms or elsewhere."
The sensations are unusual and unlike other common sensations. Those with RLS have a hard time describing them, using words like: uncomfortable, painful, 'antsy', electrical, creeping, itching, pins and needles, pulling, crawling, and numbness. It is sometimes described similar to a limb 'falling asleep' or an exaggerated sense of positional awareness of the affected area. The sensation and the urge can occur in any body part; the most cited location is legs, followed by arms. Some people have little or no sensation, yet still have a strong urge to move.

For those of us who experience strange sensation in addition to their twitching some of this may sound pretty familiar.

I don't really want to get into the discussion whether BFS has anything to do with RLS or inflammation or if nutrition is a possible way of treatment. That's why I post this in the off topic conversation forums. I found the article interesting so maybe some of you are interested in reading it as well. Of course this may be completely off topic because the reason behind RLS is completely different than the reason behind BFS....

Take care!
Volkmar
trustme78

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)