Cars!

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Cars!

Postby Tiber2011 on August 13th, 2013, 9:43 am

Since this is for stuff that isn't medical (seriously, let's stop posting stuff about ALS here, too), let's make this the official cars thread.

Let's all take a poll of the cars we have.

Year: 2007
Make: Subaru
Model: Impreza (base, non-turbo)
I love it! It's my first all-wheel drive car. It's somewhat fast (I have to turn the AC off when merging or passing), the engine is bullet-proof, and it's incredibly fun to drive, especially in snow. It even has dual-piston brake calipers!

Year: 1984
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Jetta
In 2011, I had saved up some money, and wanted to learn stick-shift. I bought a very nice, 1984 VW Jetta COUPE (rare) from a local seller. The car was cheap because it could barely move under its own power; it had been unused for some time. I had at the time as a daily-driver an '04 Jetta Turbo (I love VWs). My brother is an engineer, and he spared no time getting the car running while I'd be at work. At 188k miles, it sounds lovely and I really haven't invested much more money into it, beyond 2 clutches (first one died because I, my brother and sister were teaching ourselves manual transmission simultaneously. The second clutch was improperly installed and was a bad brand [Sachs].)

I use it on dry weekends for fun. The Jetta doesn't have power steering because it's a base model (albeit with AC...), so it's hard to drive in the city (especially with its cable clutch...shifts are jerky or not-so-jerky), and the wipers are 2-speed (slow or slower).
Last edited by Tiber2011 on August 13th, 2013, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Cars!

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 13th, 2013, 9:58 am

Tiber2011, you're speaking my language! I was a vehicle design and development engineer for Chrysler from early 2002 until late 2008, so nearly 7 years. During my time there I worked on all kinds of cool programs. I started out in a 2 year rotational program so I got to rack up a lot of experience. I worked on the Jeep Liberty when it was brand new, the turbo PT Cruiser, the WK Grand Cherokee, the SRT 6.1L Hemi engine, the TJ and JK Jeep Wranglers, and the lastest version of the Dodge Ram. I spent the most time in the Jeep Wrangler group (a little over 3 years) and really enjoyed it. I'm an off road enthusiest so this was sort of a dream job for me. I currently have a 2009 Dodge Ram that was actually built in my assembly plant and was on the assembly line my last day of work. I mainly worked in the engineering design offices, but my last assignment was out of the assembly plant where I was working as a resident engineer. I also have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that I take on off-roading trips, but not so much since I've had 2 kids. I mostly drive it on nice days to and from work with the top down. Even though I don't work there anymore I'm pretty much a Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge guy. I really liked working there and the people were great. I still miss it from time to time.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Tiber2011 on August 13th, 2013, 10:00 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:Tiber2011, you're speaking my language! I was a vehicle design and development engineer for Chrysler from early 2002 until late 2008, so nearly 7 years. During my time there I worked on all kinds of cool programs. I started out in a 2 year rotational program so I got to rack up a lot of experience. I worked on the Jeep Liberty when it was brand new, the turbo PT Cruiser, the WK Grand Cherokee, the SRT 6.1L Hemi engine, the TJ and JK Jeep Wranglers, and the lastest version of the Dodge Ram. I spent the most time in the Jeep Wrangler group (a little over 3 years) and really enjoyed it. I'm an off road enthusiest so this was sort of a dream job for me. I currently have a 2009 Dodge Ram that was actually built in my assembly plant and was on the assembly line my last day of work. I mainly worked in the engineering design offices, but my last assignment was out of the assembly plant where I was working as a resident engineer. I also have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that I take on off-roading trips, but not so much since I've had 2 kids. I mostly drive it on nice days to and from work with the top down. Even though I don't work there anymore I'm pretty much a Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge guy. I really liked working there and the people were great. I still miss it from time to time.

I love the new Jeeps, particularly the Grand Cherokee SRT. I've always had a soft-spot for Jeeps, including the old Wagoneer.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arkansan on August 23rd, 2013, 5:51 pm

I have a 2002 Oldsmoblie Intrigue GL, hands down the best vehicle I have owned. Very comfortable with a good amount of get up and go. Before that I had an 89 Chevy Silverado, also a great vehicle.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)