Olympic torch

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Olympic torch

Postby Chris swl on April 7th, 2008, 6:30 am

Hi
Well breaking news over in Europe, the French officials have extinguished the Olympic torch, and after the scuffles in London on Sunday i am not suprised.

I do not have an oppinion (yet) on the olympics and politics, and would like to know how people feel about this.
Should sport and politics mix?

When it is our turn over in the UK for the Olympics will we get people demonstrating against our involment in Iraq etc, I'm sure we will. So looking at it from that angle i do not think we shoud mix politics with sport.
So i must have an opinion!

So come on let's hear it, what do you think??

Chris
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Re: Olympic torch

Postby zekebcfs on April 12th, 2008, 10:06 pm

China's government does not represent the Chinese people as our government policies do not represent American's people in general. For some it does for some it does not.

I wish people would understand that wars make profit for the rich and the poor man gets to fight those wars. Put down those weapons and if they want conquest let them fight for it themselves. The people should stay out of it no matter what race, religion or country you are from.

As to China's Olympics I think you should follow your inner voice if you are an athlete. The politics should stay out of athletic competition. Staging protest one way or another really won't change anything but I would not old it against anyone.

It always seems that the upper class get to have war by proxy with the naive poor of their respective factions, race, religion etc etc. A story told over and over through human history. Again.... for what?

If the elite class of the world has to sacrifice their sons and daughters I assure you that the folly that takes place in the world would quickly come to an end. I think it was King Henry who once answered the War question with a question of his own something to the effect of...."When was the last time you remember when a prince was struck with a cannon ball." You always hear about the guy or gal just trying to make it to college or something like that who makes the sacrifice.

My idea is that anyone who wants war should lead by example. Say the head of state of one country vs. the other head of state in a Chain-Saw death match with no forfeit or passing the "Torch" to someone else to fight their fight. Let's see if that does not change minds. These wars are only possible because we take up arms against people just like us. They like us have no vested interest in what they as we are fighting for. This is something I have heard from many ex soldiers when you really get to know them.

We could always put a pit at the UN in a death match between all types of war mongerers. See my message below my screen name!
Zekebcfs
"Keep them busy busy busy, back on the farm with the other animals." We are kept so busy with business (or busyness) that we do not understand or participate in the decisions and events that will crucially affect our future.
zekebcfs
Saint
Saint

Re: Olympic torch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)