question on blood tests and x-rays...

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

question on blood tests and x-rays...

Postby edhc on December 1st, 2007, 2:32 pm

this past september i had bloodwork done(normal results), an ekg which showed i had a right bundle branch block... this was confirmed w/ a stress test. i then had an ultrasound of my tinker and a chest x-ray (everything came back fine).

flash forward to the present: for the past two weeks i've been experiencing pains in my upper abdomen and chest as well as my back (i could attribute that to gerd and stress, yes?). but what has me concerned is the pain in the upper right side of my abdomen and those felt on the sides of my ribs (almost always the right side). the pain sometimes can be felt on the entire flank. mind you its nothing excrutiating but rather an annoyance. i've also been experiencing night sweats and some fatigue.

well my question is if the bloodwork and chest x-rays would have been able to pick up anything sinister(i.e. cancer) if there was anything there or could it have been too early? i'm sure these pains are just a result of my poor choice in diet for the past month and a half which consisted mostly of fast food and alcohol(three cheers for depression!), but i'd love to have input from you guys. aside from this recent lapse of garbage intake, i'm usually a very health conscious and quite physically active 24 year old male, if that helps in your assessments.

any input would be appreciated

thanks again so much and take care!
edhc
Interested
Interested

Postby j7m on December 1st, 2007, 2:54 pm

Some years back I had the same symptoms. There was pain in my ribs toward the sternum, pain along the lower ribs (was sure it was a kidney stone), and pain right below my ribs. Sometimes I wonder if this can all be attributed to the current BFS, but it happened 5 years prior to twitching. I never had any tests since it went away a couple of weeks afterwards.

My chiropractor at the time was sure it was related to the thoracic nerve.
"Idle minds are the devil's playground"
j7m
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby edhc on December 1st, 2007, 3:02 pm

do you remember it feeling almost tender or bruised at all in those areas?
edhc
Interested
Interested

Postby j7m on December 1st, 2007, 3:13 pm

Yes it was tender to the touch. To this day when I get the aches in my muscles, they are very tender to the touch. Sometimes I wonder if it is fibromyalgia or bcfs, or if I have both, or if they are one in the same.
"Idle minds are the devil's playground"
j7m
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby edhc on December 2nd, 2007, 1:38 am

its not so much the muscles, though. the pain and tenderness is behind the rib cage...
edhc
Interested
Interested

Postby sharon slack on December 2nd, 2007, 2:28 am

Hey

could be gall-bladder as well, easily detected by ultrasound. The pain hits you in the chest, kind of feels like your being squeezed.

Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Postby c4110djh on December 2nd, 2007, 10:58 pm

I've had pain under the right rib cage and that entire area on & off for years--it used to radiate to my back. Went to gastro at UCLA & they couldn't find anything, have had ultrasounds etc. My sister now gets the same type pain. I have a lot of stomach issues from GERD to IBS & I think mine has something to do with that, or possibly gallbladder, although the gallbladder tests are negative. I'll even get sick and vomit once in a while when the pain gets severe, (that's why I think it could be gallbladder). Watching my diet & taking an GERD medication & an antispasmadic help me when I need it.
c4110djh
Hero
Hero

Postby edhc on December 2nd, 2007, 11:31 pm

i also just noticed when i press in on the area near my bottom right ribs i feel discomfort in my stomach...is this an indication of anything you think?
edhc
Interested
Interested

Postby firewater on December 6th, 2007, 6:29 pm

I'm not a doctor but here's my 2c.

Night sweats can easily be anxiety (very common) but I would have your GP check it out just to be sure. Have you had any change in bowl habits? Is the pain worse or better after eating? Any nausea or vomiting?

-Vance
firewater

Postby edhc on December 7th, 2007, 9:09 pm

no, no real change in bowel habits and there's no real difference after eating. no nausea or vomiting either, thankfully.

i started taking prilosec the other day and it seems to be doing the trick...hopefully it'll knock it out completely
edhc
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)