Thanksgiving

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thanksgiving

Postby kit on November 20th, 2007, 4:56 pm

So I realize that this is an American Holiday but I thought it is good to have a day where you give thanks for your blessings and that certainly trancends any continental divides.

I am thankful for my health. It has been a rough year but through it all I realize that I am healthy and have been blessed with much.

I am thankful for my family. They are truly a blessing and my Dad has given me such beautiful insight. My husband has given me my soul. My children have given me my heart. My Mom has given me strength.

I am thankful for each breath, each kiss, each little gift of every second. I am thankful for each of you and how you have touched my life.

So, God bless each of you!
Happy Thanksgiving,
With much love,
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Postby jmontan27 on November 20th, 2007, 5:30 pm

Dad has given me such beautiful insight. My husband has given me my soul. My children have given me my heart. My Mom has given me strength.

I really like the sentiments expressed in this statement, Kit. It has made me consider how those important to me have enhanced my life in so many ways (often taken for granted).

Thanks - and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and all other BFSers from the U.S.
"Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved through understanding." Albert Einstein
jmontan27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SuziQ on November 20th, 2007, 5:42 pm

Such beautiful sentiments, kit. And did I read somewhere that it's your birthday, too?

Happy birthday, my dear, sweet friend.

I remember the Thanksgiving before my mom passed away. I was going through a sort of selfish, soul-searching phase in my life, and decided I wanted to spend the day away from my family and all the "dysfunction." Certainly a noble cause, but it was folly on my part.

I spent a lonely, rainy, dismal holiday at an abandoned, broken down "resort" in the Pocono's, bought my take-out turkey from the local diner and sat on the bed eating and watching television while my family feasted at home.

At the time, I had no clue that my mother would very soon be diagnosed with end stage, aggressive lung cancer and would have only weeks to live. Had I only known...omg I would have done so many things differently. But, I was young, and stubborn, and decided that holding a grudge and "finding myself" should take priority.

The other day, I sat in the hospital with a couple who had been married for 61 years. 25 years ago, the husband had also been diagnosed with lung cancer, yet he is still here, 25 years later. His liver is finally failing him, and it seems it might be the end of the road for him. When I met with his wife, I told her, "what a gift these past 25 years have been," and she replied, "don't I know it."

25 years, one day...it would have been such a gift to have spent that last Thanksgiving with my Mom. No, I'm not beating myself up over it anymore, only recognizing that each brief moment is but borrowed...there is never any absolute assurance that we'll even take our next breath.

So, that would be my Thanksgiving wish for everyone...don't spend the day "finding yourself." Find your family, instead, and perhaps some pumpkin pie. You can be found on Friday, while everyone else is shopping, lol. Relish the moments...those precious, irretrievable pockets of time where it's just simple...no complexities, no baggage, no dysfunction...only love....and turkey. :wink:

Blessings, and Happy Birthday kit!
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on November 20th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Holy cow, those are beautiful sentiments. Why am I not surprised to read such prose from such incredible people.

Tomorrow is an American holiday, but I just wanted to point out that we Canadians have Thanksgiving in October...you know, at the proper time. :wink: My daughter is coming home from the States tomorrow, so I guess we will throw the Tofurkey in the oven, steam some tempeh, wash it down with wheat grass, and for dessert, fill up our now burgeoning girths, with whole wheat carrot/narwhal cake. YUMMY! :P

I guess tomorrow it will mostly the Commonwealth on here. God bless the queens. :twisted:

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Chris swl on November 21st, 2007, 4:41 am

Hi Kit
Wow, what lovely words, I’m sure pleased you feel that way. You are indeed a lucky person to have such strength and a loving family. I hope you enjoy that Turkey too.

We have Turkey for Christmas day dinner over in the Uk, I bought mine yesterday (frozen)as they are going to be hard to come by due to the resent bird flu scare over here in the UK.

Sue
That was such a sad story, you must also be such a strong person. Sometimes you can read something that makes you stop in your tracks and think, I am so luck for what I have.
You and kit have managed this today.

Basoo
Like many of my friends up North in the Uk I am not into the Royal family, at all!.
I will not say to much about the subject, as this may annoy those Royalists we may have on board. Each to there own.

Happy Thanks Giving.

Take care
Chris sewell
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby Nancy on November 21st, 2007, 8:09 am

While the holiday is yet to come (tomorrow) my family and I got together last week end to celebrate due to scheduling and travel issues. It was enjoyable as always. So, tomorrow we will cook a traditional Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, stuffing, etc) while preparing for our annual post-Thanksgiving event for this coming week end which my husband has dubbed "SOS" for Save Our Sprites. People come from all over (last year we had a friend from Australia) to work in our shop on vintage cars mainly Sprites and Midgets (both street and race cars). We start Friday morning and finish Saturday evening. The main project car is a Midget that has been garaged for almost 10 years and belongs to a gal who was widowed for about that long. This car was the car she and her husband had their first date in. So, the group that is gathering this week end will get her car operational and street-ready. My husband and I have an MG-CT that we will begin some initial prep work on for restoration as well. I think there are a couple of Austin Healey race cars to be worked on too. For those unable to make the event we have a live video and broadcast it on the internet so folks can observe, ask questions and poke fun at those involved. Of course, everyone brings along something delicious to eat and some have already shipped in some goodies (smoked salmon, for instance) who want to particpate even from a distance. It is a great time, actually...with lots of laughter and good companionship.

So much to be thankful for...we should have more than an annual reminder of just how "rich" we are in family, friends, health, homes, etc. I know in my own life, I have been so very blessed and from that abundance I hope to always give back in even greater measure.

Peace and Blessings to you all, near and far!
Nancy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Alayne on November 21st, 2007, 11:08 am

We used to have an MG Midget. Lovely car! Shame you're in the US Nancy or we'd have come along and lent a hand :D Hope you have a good time.
Alayne
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Christina on November 21st, 2007, 11:16 am

Dear Kit,

What a lovely post! Thank you so much for reminding everyone that we need to be more thankful...God knows we complain enough when we feel things are not going right. I join all in wishing special you, a wonderful day!

Sue,....gee I would think that you were in my house this week. Your sharing of that dismal, lonely, Thanksgiving day spent so many years ago really changed the way I am going to spend mine tomorrow. I guess it is true....that each life touches so many (thanks Frank Capra)...you certainly touched mine, and it hasn't been the first time.

I wish you all a happy, and healthy holiday season....I hope that we all get a chance during this busy few weeks to give thanks, we certainly have been blessed just to find this "little corner" of the internet, and each other.....if nothing else.

Love,

Christina
Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly.
Christina
Saint
Saint

Postby Alayne on November 21st, 2007, 11:25 am

Happy Thanksgiving. As usual Kit and SuziQ have written wonderful and thought provoking posts - I hope you all enjoy the day with your loved ones :D
Alayne
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nancy on November 21st, 2007, 11:54 pm

Alayne: Wish you could come on over too. They are fun little cars, aren't they? 8)
Nancy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby wjjw on November 22nd, 2007, 1:01 pm

I try to be thankful every day but if I had to pick something special this Thanksgiving it would be Health, Divine guidance, and my role selected for this life. And of course the recent rebirth of two old friends whose eyes I’m sure I’ve gazed into before.

http://astralpoint.net/twins.html

Be well, and have a happy Thanksgiving.
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby Alayne on November 22nd, 2007, 2:00 pm

Congratulations Bill! What lovely babies - you must be such a proud Daddy :D
Alayne
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby basso on November 22nd, 2007, 3:39 pm

Congrats, Bill. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't call one of them Bassa, but, oh well. :wink: Christina and Nicole, both beautiful names, and nice that you gave a nod to your next life's partner.

I am sending a huge cyber tsunami of best wishes your way.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby sharon slack on November 22nd, 2007, 5:53 pm

Hello everyone,

I hope you all have a lovely day for thanksgiving it's a day we don't celebrate in Australia but I feel we are really missing out.

Kit, you sound super sweet and have a way with words as do alot of the people in this offtopic forum.

And Bill those babies are absolutely gorgeous they almost look like dolls, congratulations.

Catch ya all soon
Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint

Postby Angie on November 22nd, 2007, 11:41 pm

"I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cramp-fasciculation syndrome: a treatable hyperexcitable peripheral nerve disorder.
Neurology. 1991 Jul;41(7):1021-4 Tahmoush AJ, et al.
"muscle aching, cramps, stiffness, exercise intolerance, and peripheral nerve hyper excitability"
Angie
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)