Chocolate???

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Chocolate???

Postby Chris swl on November 17th, 2007, 6:16 am

Hi
Ok lets put this chocolate thing in the correct place, the lounge.
lets talk chocolate. It seemed to accumulate some interest in the general topics.

Basso so correctly said that Cadbury UK chocolate was the best. To this I must agree.
But how can I say that if I have not tried many other counties chocolate. I tried some in Spain and was not impressed. Sorry Spain no hard feelings.

So what chocolate do you rate as the best and why?
Has anyone tried Cadburys cream eggs?
Are you a Chocolate addict?
Do you think women eat more chocolate the men?
Who gets a chocolate selection box for Christmas? Me!!

Any funny chocolate stories?

My wife loves chocolate, so of course when it is birthday time or Christmas, being a typical no idea what to buy man, I buy her chocolates. She always says “Oh I wish you wouldn’t, are you trying to get me fat”

So last year I didn’t get her any at all. And yes she said, “I’m disappointed you didn’t get me any chocolate this year, why!”
Just can’t win.

Chris
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby Cardu on November 17th, 2007, 8:34 am

Hi Chris....I have to say I do not like the Cadbury Cream Eggs. Way too gooey for me. I am probably one of the strange women who could live without chocolate and any sweet for that matter.
However, don't ever take my salty snacks away. I need it!!!
Every once in a while I get a craving for something sweet. I have to say I love a Hershey bar with almonds. :)
Amy
Cardu
Saint
Saint

Postby Nancy on November 17th, 2007, 9:38 am

I've discovered a fondess for chocolate over my adult years. As I posted elsewhere, one of the best chocolates I have had is by Seroogy's. The milk chocolate feels like silk on your tongue and the flavor is so smooth. Really incredible. Because of research suggesting that dark chocolate may be good for us in small amounts due to anti-oxidants in it, I have on occasion bought the little Hersey's bites but find that chocolate too waxy. I have found a growing appreciation of the dark choco variety and have heard of delicious brands through Fair Trade but have not yet sampled them. Anyone got a suggestion? Finally, I have had those Cadbury stuffed eggs around Easter time...never did anything for me. I generally do not like chocolate cremes of any sort...but chocolate with nuts, caramel, peanut butter...now you're talkin'!

Did any of you see the movie "Chocolat"? I think that is what got me intrigued....choco mixed with spices, etc...I was wondering what I had been missing all those years. :o
Nancy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Slavin Balen on November 17th, 2007, 10:15 am

Dear Nancy and all Americans,
Find somewhere, anywhere, absolute the best European chocolate ever made: LINDT from Switzerland! That is not an ordinary chocolate candies...that is PERFECT.
Slavin Balen
Hero
Hero

Postby Jens_twitch on November 17th, 2007, 6:16 pm

You couldn't have picked a better topic for a pregnant woman!!! Chocolate has become more live a love affair for me lately. I like all kinds expect the special dark. To bitter for me. I am more of a sweet person right now. I have had a real bad sweet tooth with this pregnancy. Not to gross anyone out and sorry for TMI but one of my bad cravings this pregnancy is to dip fried bacon in vanilla pudding. OH it is very very good! :?
Jen
Jens_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby jmontan27 on November 18th, 2007, 10:35 am

Jen, that is truly gross!!!! :) Mind you, when I was pregnant I went off food completely and drank two litres of grapefruit juice a day for five months. Chocolate, on the other hand, I have no problem with. I agree with Slavin that swiss chocolate has to be the best, but I am also partial to Thorntons Viennese Truffles...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
"Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved through understanding." Albert Einstein
jmontan27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Alayne on November 18th, 2007, 11:05 am

Lindt or Milka are good but Galaxy is the best :lol:
Alayne
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Slavin Balen on November 18th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Galaxy!? Unfortunately never heard & never seen that product here. Don't forget MARZIPAN from Luebeck (Germany). Just skip industrial goods. Fantastic but artificial. I never taste real American apple pie. Probably you don't know nothing about Orient sweet like BAKLAVA...
Slavin Balen
Hero
Hero

Postby Nancy on November 18th, 2007, 7:25 pm

Slavin: I LOVE baklava. There is a middle eastern bakery in a nearby city that makes it with pistachio nuts and it is finer than fine! Anytime I'm near the place, I have to stop and buy some. :D

I did have some Cadbury's (with almonds) today at my in-laws who bought a bar each for my sons. It was certainly better than Hershey's but I'll continue to stand by Seroogy's as smoother and melt-in-your-mouth fantastic.

I'll try Lindt's next...
Nancy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Slavin Balen on November 19th, 2007, 2:00 am

What a nice topic instead "twitching here, twitching there ..."
Ask people at the bakery store if they know to make a/Turkish b/ Albanian c/ Macedonian d/ Greek ...baklava
More sweets from Balkan: Macedonian pie (sugar bomb!), Bosnian rahatlokum (raachaatlo:koom), a little jelly, nut and sugar cube with pistachio or rose aroma.
Lucky me I'm not a diabetic; so far.
Slavin Balen
Hero
Hero

Postby Chris swl on November 19th, 2007, 4:15 am

Hi All

There is a continental market coming to my town next week, so I am writing all these choc/sweets etc down. I only hope they have some of these great delights I am reading about.

Alayne, I forgot how nice the Galaxy bar was. Yes I indulged myself yesterday. Mmmm! Oh, and I can go along with Thornton’s continental Too. We have a Thornton’s shop in our town.

There is also an advertisement campaign on TV over in the UK, at the moment for Lidores, has anyone tried these?

Chris
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby jmontan27 on November 19th, 2007, 10:05 am

Chris, how long will the continental market in town for?? I am spending the w/end in Newcastle in a couple of weeks (my best mate is from South Shields) and I need to kill a couple of hours while she watches the Mags!
"Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved through understanding." Albert Einstein
jmontan27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Chris swl on November 20th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Hi Jmonton27
Wow, your coming up North for a visit, where are you from in the UK?
You will enjoy the Geordie hospitality I’m sure.
As for the black & whites, (mag’s)I was there with my son some weeks back and they got beat 4-1 Hmmmm!

Well my home town, Blyth, is not having another continental market, however, they are having an old’y world’y one with entertainment laid on and this is on Dec16th. It should be quite good as the local council up here try’s very hard. (plenty chocolate!)

You should get your self on the Metro to the TOON!= Newcastle, and have a look at the Christmas decorated window in the Fenwick’s shop on Northumberland street. Then head down to the quay side for a night out, it‘s mint!!. I usually get to Whitley bay on a night out, that’s good too. (If I am not at work of course)

The thing about this web site with nick names is,im not sure if you are male are femal? hope thats ok.

Hope this helps and enjoy.
Chris Sewell
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby jmontan27 on November 20th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Hi Chris

I am female and a "southern Softie" as my friend often refers to us down here (London). She moved down about 10 years ago and we met at work. However, she has hardly missed a match in all that time, being a season ticket holder (I'm not into football myself, but it's amazing what you pick up).

I've been up to your neck of the woods (including Whitley Bay - very nice!) a couple of times before and you're right about Geordie hospitality.
Well I'm looking forward to my trip, and will make a point of looking in the Fenwick's shop Window! Can't wait as we're leaving our blokes and kids at home. I think she's planning a night out to the quay (I've heard it's a right laugh and a good night)!

Thanks!
Jmontan
jmontan27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby JMan on November 24th, 2007, 4:41 am

I want to put in a plug for Nutella. I know its not one of your "fine chocolates" per se, but I remember on our honeymoon in Munich (at our B and B) we tried Nutella for the first time. We were hooked. I try not to buy it now (when I can find it that is) because I always eat way more than I should. I agree that Cadbury eggs are too gooey for my tastes, and I am definitely partial to Hershey with Almonds. Any of you folks from across the pond tried Ghirardelli's chocolate yet? They make it in San Francisco (or they used to anyway), and it is fantabulous.

J.
JMan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)