LDL high: upset about my future alternatives for life

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

LDL high: upset about my future alternatives for life

Postby Richard on November 16th, 2007, 8:59 am

Yesterday I got a message from my doctor that my LDL cholesterol was 145. A healthy LDL is 100.

I had the test done Nov 7th. I guess I had been eating to much of my kids halloween candy.

Previously my LDL was 115, which is still high.

The medication I am taking, Neurotrin, which seems to decrease some twitching but not all has a side effect of weight gain.

I have been trying to keep my weight in check by limiting my rice diet (my wife and cousin are Asian so we eat a lot of rice items) and mostly eating meat and vegetables. I think this to increased my LDL.

Finally my mom wants to get good to me. She feels sorry for me. Ya, I feel sorry for myself. To bad. But she gets me these pepridge farm salselto cookies. There is a lot of temptation there. And higher LDL.

I guess today I feel everything is against me.

* A life of twitching (I am 39 so I got a way to go)
* Having a hard time controlling my weight
* Having a hard time controlling my LDL

AND I AM TRYING. It is not as if I don't want to get better (or as better as I can be).

So today I feel as if the universe is stacked against me. YA I know there are lots of other people who have it worse. But today I feel like very frustrated.

-Richard
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on November 16th, 2007, 9:46 am

Hey, Richard, here is link that I think you might find interesting.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

I don't know anything about cholesterol, but I am always hearing about people that are younger and younger being given statins. The medical machine loves to find new pathologies, it justifies intervention, and, of course, the drug companies love it too. Profit. Yum. The above link is just cholesterol free food for thought.

You are young, and should be enjoying your life, and not worrying so much about your health. An ounce of prevention and then a ton of fun, that is what I prescribe. :P

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Richard on November 16th, 2007, 10:14 am

Hello Basso,

I read this article. Thank you for sharing this with me.

Well I am going to try to give up milk products (except skim milk) and chocolate. I want to get a little close to 'natural' food.

I know that might be a bit of an extreame. I realize there are low fat alternatives. But it is better for me to just give stuff up.

Also putting some of that junk in my body might have an effect. I don't know. Maybe it has an effect on twitching and axiety.

I know it sure tastes good to eat comfort food, but maybe there is a negative effect to the way the body processes it.

I do agree with you Basso that statins are bad news. I am not sold on their need either and there are side effects (I got enough problems already!)

Best regards.
-Richard
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on November 16th, 2007, 10:48 am

I think a little of what you like will do you no harm. I'm not much of an eater, but I enjoy a bit of something sweet, once in awhile, as well as a good hamburger. I think the key to most things is just not feeling guilty about them. We are allowed to enjoy things, whether it be food, sex, exercising, or having private time. Being brought up Irish-Catholic, I was instilled with heaps of guilt, and mounds of misery. LOL I realize now that I don't need anyone's permission to do the things which give purpose to my soul. I'm still a work in progress, but I'm getting there.

I'm not a doctor, and as I say, don't know anything about cholesterol, except what I have read in the paper, but it seems to be another one of those grey area things.

Well, cheers, enjoy your wheat-grass. :x :P

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on November 16th, 2007, 11:10 am

Another interesting article...who knew. Load up on those natural fats. YUM.

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/choles ... yth_1.html

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby kit on November 19th, 2007, 2:43 pm

You should be able to work on your levels through watching your bad fat intake, increasing your activity levels and taking in some good fats like Omega 3's and Bvitamins. Funny thing about blood levels - they all keep lowering what is normal until I truly believe that only 2 year old will have the appropriate blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

Seriously though do what you can with your diet and activity - everything in moderation and you should be fine.
Kit
"Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it, as it is, is the only way of being happy"
kit
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)