Question about stem cells...

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Question about stem cells...

Postby Jeliota on November 10th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Why is it that some companies and doctors can just go and start implanting or injecting stem cells into people and other companies have to go through long trial processes? Is there some difference between the procedures that requires the different handling?

My question comes because there is a company called Regenerative Sciences Inc that announced it can "fix" degenerative joint problems by injecting the patient's own stem cells into the joints. They are now advertising for knee and hip replacement customers.

On the other hand, a company called Brainstorm says it thinks is can cure ALS using the patient's own stem cells and has done basically that in mice. They are beginning human trials in 2008 and say that they are trying to get to market as soon as possible.

What's the difference between these two?
Jeliota
Hero
Hero

Postby Cardu on November 10th, 2007, 5:41 pm

My friend who has *ls, went to Costa Rica last spring for stem cell.
She will return this month for a second round. In her case, she believes it has slowed her progression....of course, there is no cure.
She has been thrilled with it. You hear good and bad about it. The way I see it, if she feels it has helped somewhat, then good for her.
I have heard about stem cell in Brazil that has cured diabeties. My husband, diabetic for 34 years says he wouldn't do it, he is used to his way of living. I suggested he do it, but he won't.
Amy
Cardu
Saint
Saint

Postby MarkC on November 10th, 2007, 5:51 pm

Let's hope the folks at Brainstorm are correct and that they can cut through the red tape--sooner rather than later!
MarkC
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jeliota on November 10th, 2007, 7:16 pm

MarkC wrote:Let's hope the folks at Brainstorm are correct and that they can cut through the red tape--sooner rather than later!

The folks at Brainstorm have done something no one else ever has: they have reversed the disease. It's not a matter that they stopped or slowed progression. Mice that could no longer walk began to walk again.

As a matter of fact, Brainstorm was originally working on Parkinson's disease, but their success with ALS was so dramatic that they changed and put their resources behind ALS. The president of the company, a neurologist, says that when he diagnoses a patient with ALS that he can't sleep at night. They are determined and convinced that they can do it and do it soon.

Someday, everyone on this site will be saying, I hope I don't have ALS. I hear that stem cell treatment is kind of painful.
Jeliota
Hero
Hero

Postby Jeliota on November 10th, 2007, 7:20 pm

Cardu wrote:My friend who has *ls, went to Costa Rica last spring for stem cell.
She will return this month for a second round. In her case, she believes it has slowed her progression....of course, there is no cure.
She has been thrilled with it. You hear good and bad about it. The way I see it, if she feels it has helped somewhat, then good for her.
I have heard about stem cell in Brazil that has cured diabeties. My husband, diabetic for 34 years says he wouldn't do it, he is used to his way of living. I suggested he do it, but he won't.
Amy

This is very different from what they are practicing in Costa Rica. BrainStorm has figured out how to actually cause the cells to differentiate into exactly what they need. Furthermore, the new cells seem impervious to ALS, as though whatever is attacking them can't get hold on the new cells.

Right now there are many doctors around the world who are injecting embryonic stem cells into ALS patients. Apparently this slows progress for a while and then they have to go back and get injected again.

BrainStorm is a whole different ballgame.
Jeliota
Hero
Hero

Postby Cardu on November 10th, 2007, 8:48 pm

I don't know much about stem cell...just stating some facts about my friend. For the time being....this is buying her more time with her children. She is fortunate that enough money was raised to send her. I think the first time she paid 30,000. I'm not sure if this one will be the same.
Hopefully BrainStorm will get things moving soon. Wouldn't that be great!
Amy
Cardu
Saint
Saint

Postby Chris swl on November 11th, 2007, 9:55 am

Hi
Brainstorm! lets hope this is the answer for people with ***. Ihope so.
God bless them all.

Chris
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby JMan on November 15th, 2007, 12:06 am

And God bless your friend Amy. I don't know her, but I will pray for her. I hope she is able to stick around for a good long time.

J.
JMan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)