Living longer means coping with multiple chronic illnesses

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Living longer means coping with multiple chronic illnesses

Postby Richard on November 9th, 2007, 11:31 am

I have been reflecting on this topic.

It is kind of a bummer. And really off topic with BFS. But on the other hand I am trying to realize that if I live long enough I am going to have to deal with multiple health problems.

Why have I been thinking about this?

I was watching Frontline online.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... opsis.html

Here is the interesting quote:

Medical advances have enabled an unprecedented number of Americans to live longer, healthier lives. But for millions of elderly, living longer can also mean a debilitating physical decline that often requires an immense amount of care.

My uncle ate bacon and eggs every day. He did road construction. He was out in the hot summer and the cold winter. He died of a heart attack cutting the grass at one of his kids houses. He was 55.

My grandfather died doing woppie with his second wife. Massive heart attack. He was in his early 70s.

BTW I told my wife that is the way I way I want to go.

Well I had a physical two days ago. The doctor wants me to decrease my LDL. He wants me to not eat cheese. I had an EKG and he told me I have the heart of a teenager.

But at some point if I try to be extra healthy my life I am setting myself up for a possible long and painful end of life.

So I hope people don't flame me or get upset. This is just something I have been thinking about.

-Richard[/b]
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby lucy on November 9th, 2007, 2:43 pm

Kinda depressing-

Maybe we should see the glass half full?
lu
lucy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Angie on November 9th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Where is Basso when you need him? Living with multiple ailments beats the alternative I would say.

Moderation in all things maybe. Even in cheese and *beep*?

Warren Zevon's advise: Enjoy every Sandwich!
Cramp-fasciculation syndrome: a treatable hyperexcitable peripheral nerve disorder.
Neurology. 1991 Jul;41(7):1021-4 Tahmoush AJ, et al.
"muscle aching, cramps, stiffness, exercise intolerance, and peripheral nerve hyper excitability"
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby Chris swl on November 11th, 2007, 10:00 am

Hi
As long as i don't know when i'm going to go, that will do me.

Chris
Good luck to all with BFS/BCFS
Chris swl
Saint
Saint

Postby Angie on November 12th, 2007, 9:40 am

Sometimes getting a chance to say good-bye and to be able say all the lovingly important things we don't seem to say to those we love in everyday life is such a gift. Don't take that for granted.

And my husband made me the best egg sandwich today. It was on a toasetd, buttered English Muffin, with a slice of American Cheese, had some wonderful pesto on it and was cooked to perfection. The yolk was just the way I like it- liquidly delicious.

Enjoy your sandwich and those you love today. :lol:
Cramp-fasciculation syndrome: a treatable hyperexcitable peripheral nerve disorder.
Neurology. 1991 Jul;41(7):1021-4 Tahmoush AJ, et al.
"muscle aching, cramps, stiffness, exercise intolerance, and peripheral nerve hyper excitability"
Angie
Saint
Saint

Postby Tui on November 18th, 2007, 8:32 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot too and I've come to realise that we've become too precious about our lives.

There are more people on this planet today than ever before, and we live longer than ever before. And yet we freak out about every little thing that happens to us. And only a hundred years ago our predecessors used to pull their own teeth out if they'd hurt and they used to die of simplest colds.

Now we freak out when our kids are riding their bikes without helmets on. I blame the media.

Personaly, I'm not sure if I would want to live to see my 80s. I spoke to this 80 year old woman once who saw a friend of hers go every week. Her advice to me was: "Don't get old"

I know... depressing...
Tui

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)