Consolidation

Site Comments / Problems / Suggestions

Moderator: JohnV

Consolidation

Postby Ish on January 13th, 2005, 6:06 pm

If you ever find yourself considering a little consolidation ... I'd vote for it.

Management, General, Questions, Experiences...

Those all seem very similar to me, not only in the meanings of the title, but I but put me in any I could never guess, from the postings, which one I was in. And I couldn't imagine why someone would check one of these but not the others.

On the other hand a lot of us probably aren't interested in off-topic questions, or emotional support questions -- those make great separate categories.

I think there would be fewer duplicate thread topics if there were fewer forums. Or then again maybe not, since multiple forums means you see more thread on the first screen.

Anyway. It seems that you now have a lot of empirical data and experience on which you could base a recategorization.

but I'm sure you've thought about all this alread.
Ish

Postby Johnny on February 28th, 2005, 11:41 am

I was just about to post this same recommendation. I love this site and all the information shared here is so helpful. It just seems like you could combine several of the forums into one general forum so that people don't have to check several different forums for basically the same information. It would also make posting a new topic better as you wouldn't wonder which forum to post in for the most possible responses.
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Topics?

Postby Davey on March 22nd, 2005, 8:38 pm

I disagree. I think the problem is too many people post things in the wrong forums, or duplicate posts on a few forums.

The symptom management forum should be for questions regarding managing symptoms, not people looking to share their experiences or garner emotional support.

The support forum is for people who need emotional support dealing with their fears, etc.

The experiences page is where people can post share their experiences with BFS. It is alway interesting to see how many other people twitch in the same place as you!

General topics are probably anything that doesn't fit into those categories, or that spans all of them.

I think the problem is on the "user" end and not on the site design end. :)
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Johnny on April 29th, 2005, 2:42 pm

I'd like to disagree with the above disagreement. :D Just look at all the double and triple posts the last couple of days of the same subject in several forums.
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Disagreement

Postby Davey on May 5th, 2005, 1:57 pm

I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. :D

It is a user problem. It reminds me of a typical office problem -- You can set up a filing system, but if the people don't put the files in the proper place, you have stuff all over.

People need to put things in the proper place. I am an organized person, by nature. I don't put my underwear in my sweater drawer. I put it in my underwear/socks drawer. You can have a system of organization, but if people don't use it you get a mess. However, at least there is a little bit of organization -- most of the posts in a specific forum deal with topics that fall under that category. Some posts get put in the wrong place. That's like finding a pair of socks in your sweater drawer. Consolidation would be like one big pile of clothes in your closet, which would make it hard to find anything.

:D
Cheers,

Dave

Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Topics?

Postby Ish on May 11th, 2005, 9:47 am

I disagree with the disagreement of the disagreement of the disagreement.

Davey wrote:I disagree. I think the problem is too many people post things in the wrong forums, or duplicate posts on a few forums.
I think the problem is on the "user" end and not on the site design end. :)

If there is one thing that we have learned in the last 20 years of user behavior studies in computer mediated communication it is that efforts to effect even modest changes in user behavior towards more systematic granular classification are hardly ever successful, especially without substantial incentives. Over and over and over again this had been demonstrated. It is perhaps the *only* confirmed generalization of computer communication.

Now, it is an empirical fact that our users are currently doing a fairly lousy job of sorting their posts into the right category (I think you agreed with that). So which do you think is likely to be more successful in creating efficiency of browsing and retrieval for the user: periodic encouragment of more careful self-categorization, or reduction of categories by one or two. Would you bet on it?

I've been setting up discussion groups since the mid-80s. I've often regretted fine-grained classification, never coarse.

[this is all intended in a playful spirit, in case that isn't obvious) :)
Ish

Ish?

Postby Davey on May 12th, 2005, 1:15 pm

So, you're saying that you're a "lumper" not a "splitter!" :D
Cheers,

Dave

Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby basso on May 12th, 2005, 4:28 pm

I am one of those guilty of putting at least 2 of my posts under the wrong category. I blame the 1st one on my agitated state of mind and my haste to post on the BB. That being said, I do believe that there are, perhaps, too many categories and that consolidation might be something to consider. I think people really just want to tell their story or ask for help/assurance. Management, General Topics and Experiences would seem to be similar enough to encourage erroneous postings. Also it is a shame that the "lions share of users" are biased in favour of one category and not another. Consolidation might give people a broader experience of BFS, as they would be more likely to read all the new posts. This would in turn lead them to reading the archived material, which has got some great stuff in it.

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Re: Ish?

Postby Ish on May 12th, 2005, 6:11 pm

Davey wrote:So, you're saying that you're a "lumper" not a "splitter!" :D

No, actually I'm a splitter.

You see the problem isn't me -- it is everyone else being lumpers that fouls things up!!!

[Basso: we're just having fun here -- though I do stand by my rec.]

:D
Ish

Postby basso on May 12th, 2005, 7:05 pm

Dear Ish,

It would seem that you are splitter by nature but a lumper by necessity. The correct term for one so inclined is splumper.

Cheers,
Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Ish on May 26th, 2005, 5:45 pm

Just saw this. Very very cool. Thanks Basso.

(and that's right: splitter by nature, lumper by necessity -- I'll be quoting you someday soon)
Ish

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to AboutBFS.com Site Topics