Healthier diet = more twitching?

Site Comments / Problems / Suggestions

Moderator: JohnV

Healthier diet = more twitching?

Postby RobbieBfs on August 19th, 2010, 9:04 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by RobbieBfs on October 28th, 2010, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbieBfs
Hero
Hero

Re: Healthier diet = more twitching?

Postby msm on August 19th, 2010, 10:53 am

Robbie, I don't know if this will help but for what it's worth, up until two months ago I had been a strict vegetarian for the past twenty years. Since I work out a lot I decided to add lean red meat i.e roast beef etc into my diet for the amino acids and the b-12 and I have noticed less body wide twitching then before. However for the last 5 days I have noticed an upper thigh twitch after riding the statlionary bike or using the elliptical machine, since I can no longer run after ACL and micro fracture surgery. Do you get though twitches after you run?

Mary
msm
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 19th, 2010, 11:33 am

Take a look at what foods you are eating more of. Whatever foods you have increased in your diet could be the key to understanding what you may need to eliminate. The digestive system and immune system are more linked than most realize.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 19th, 2010, 12:30 pm

It is also possible that if you are eating healthier your body is beginning to burn up your stored body fat. Our bodies can store waste and toxins in fat, so it could be that your body is experiencing an increase in irritation because of this. I believe I experienced a bit of this when I changed my diet. I was a pretty slim and trim guy to begin with, but I did lose about 10 pounds initially. Either way, this could be an indicator to you that your digestive health needs attention. Thanks for listening.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby RobbieBfs on August 19th, 2010, 5:30 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by RobbieBfs on October 28th, 2010, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbieBfs
Hero
Hero

Postby msm on August 19th, 2010, 8:09 pm

The Microfracture surgury was fine not as painfuld as you would expect. I was supposed to have a miniscus tear fixed leave the torn acl alone because I had enough muscle built up around the knee to support it, from years of running at least ten miles a day everyday however the cartilidge was a disaster. When they got in they found I was bone on bone in one part of the knee which had cracked like an eggshell so surprise I woke up to you had microfacture surgery and you can't run for at least 11 to 12 months. So I invested in an awsome elliptical machine which I could use after six weeks and a recumbant bike which I could use after nine days as much as I wanted. Well I know that when you have microfracure they actually want you to exercise it as much as possible as this increases blood flow and stimulates your bones to grow a different type of cartalidge. So after the first extremely painful cranks around the bike I was able to unstiffen and put a fair amount of time on the bike and elliptical until I was fully healed. However, when I tryed to run just this past January, even though I wore a knee brace I could not find my stride and the knee cap felt weird so I stopped. However my Knee and hamstrings twitched for about 2 days after! So unfortunately, running, one of my greatest loves was lost to me it seems forever. But hey I can still twitch just as much from biking, ellipticaling and walking!

Mary
msm
Hero
Hero

Postby simon_w on August 19th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Hi Mary
I ruptured my ACL playing soccer when I was in my late 20s. Like you I had good quads so was advised against surgery. Since then I have had several meniscal tears and have pretty advanced OA. Despite this, I still manage to (sort of) play soccer and to (sprt of) ski. I always get loads of pain afterwards but if I'm going to need a knee replacement in the next few years I might as well get as much pleasure now out of activities that I enjoy but that I wo'nt be able to do after a knee replacement.
Regards
Simon
Fascics since Sep 08 when aged 44. Abnormal EMG (denervation/reinnervation L quads); brisk reflexes R arm on one clinical exam. Health anxiety in early stages, less so now
simon_w
Saint
Saint

Postby msm on August 19th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Simon, I am sorry to hear your knee is worn out you are too young for that. However I have a friend even younger than us and he has also had his torn cartilidge fixed and is bone on bone. He has recently been seeing the orthopedist for the chicago bulls and there are some alternatives to knee replacement. One was to take cartilidge and bone from a cadaver and somehow mesh that with your natural knee. This was not a good option for him so they are going to try to shave the bone to see if that alleviates the pain and pressure. So there are new treatments out there, and if anyone can find them you being a DR should have access to some of them. See what happens when we spend our lives being athletes? We end up like this too soon. Well I say brace your knee and enjoy your life because I intend to do the same.

Mary
msm
Hero
Hero

Postby simon_w on August 19th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Good advice! Thanks Mary.
Regards
Simon
Fascics since Sep 08 when aged 44. Abnormal EMG (denervation/reinnervation L quads); brisk reflexes R arm on one clinical exam. Health anxiety in early stages, less so now
simon_w
Saint
Saint

Postby highpriority4 on August 27th, 2010, 10:41 am

msm wrote:Simon, I am sorry to hear your knee is worn out you are too young for that. Mary

Simon isn't young!! He's OLD OLD OLLLLLDDDDDDDD! :wink: :wink: *hugs Simon*

~*~Amy~*~
Aint no, rhyme or reason, no complicated meanin'
Aint no, need to overthink it, let go laughin'
Life dont go, quite like we planned it, we try so hard to understand it
Irrefutable, indisputable, absoluteable, totally beautiful fact is, Psssh
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Postby simon_w on August 27th, 2010, 5:45 pm

No I'm only 24 really - I've just had a hard life
simon_w
Saint
Saint

Postby highpriority4 on August 27th, 2010, 7:12 pm

simon_w wrote:No I'm only 24 really - I've just had a hard life

*about chokes on my coffee (yes coffee at 8pm, I'm addicted okay!! LOLOL) and falls outta my chair laughing at Simon*

Did you REALLY just claim to be 24?? LOLOL.....Ooohhhhh how I have missed you! Thanks for the smiles Simon :D I want to see more pics of that cute baby!!! Please!?

*hugs*
~*~Amy~*~
Aint no, rhyme or reason, no complicated meanin'
Aint no, need to overthink it, let go laughin'
Life dont go, quite like we planned it, we try so hard to understand it
Irrefutable, indisputable, absoluteable, totally beautiful fact is, Psssh
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Sponsor