Advice, ideas?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Advice, ideas?

Postby paulzeee on July 16th, 2007, 2:01 pm

I am a 36 year old male living in Canada. A couple of months back after I came back from a vacation in the mountains I broke out in an odd rash on my forearms and lower legs (not a bull’s-eye rash). I was also feeling very tired. Shortly after, I noticed the base of my feet going numb and tingly especially on getting up after sitting. Sometimes it's only in my big toe. I thought it was my sandals so I changed footwear. The problem then spread to my hands with numbness, tingling and electrical sensations a few days later. Sometimes I wake in the night and my hands are totally numb, other times I am fine in the morning. The numbness spread up my right arm a bit along the nerve going to the thumb. The numbness has subsided but now I have also noticed weird muscle twitching which started recently. I noticed it first in my thumb a few weeks back and I could see the muscle up my arm twitch as my thumb moved. Since then it has been very predominant in my upper right bicep mostly, but also in the triceps, shoulder and pectoral area. I have also noticed more subtle twitching in other parts of my body including my eyelids and left arm, buttocks area and my quadriceps, as well as occasional electric feelings on my skin if this makes any sense. Prior to the worst of this I had gone to see a holistic doctor. He told me I had a fungal infection as well as a bacterial infection. He suggested I do a fungal cleanse which I started promptly. I have really noticed the more serious twitching started shortly after I began this cleanse. I am not having pain and do not feel particularly weak, my symptoms come and go in intensity, area and frequency. In fact I feel better than I have felt in a long time since I started this cleanse, my mind feels clear and I feel stronger. I am not having any trouble swallowing and my speech is normal.

I was to see my GP and he sent me for a bunch of blood work which he said looked fine, fasting glucose is good, B12 is ok. He mentioned that it could be viral. He gave me a cream for the rash but the rash pretty much cleared on it's own after a month or so. He is supposed to send me to a neurologist but I haven't heard when the appointment is and there are long wait times here.

Does this sound like ALS, MS, or something else? Is it possible it's viral or fungal because of the rash? Also could this be Lyme? I don't live in a Lyme area but 3 years back I lived in Kansas where there is Lyme and worked alot in the fields and wooded areas. I have had some joint pain problems ever since I moved back to Canada from Kansas. I don't think they suspect Lyme here because it's unheard of.

Naturally when I started having the muscle twitching I took it upon myself to search on google, and of course the first thing that comes up is ALS and then I am very, very afraid.
paulzeee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jcparker on July 16th, 2007, 5:49 pm

With the rash I would ask to be tested for Lyme for sure. I live in CA and never go near the woods, heck I don't go anywhere but the mall :) but I still asked to be tested for Lyme for my twitching.
jcparker
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby paulzeee on July 16th, 2007, 7:44 pm

jcparker wrote:With the rash I would ask to be tested for Lyme for sure. I live in CA and never go near the woods, heck I don't go anywhere but the mall :) but I still asked to be tested for Lyme for my twitching.

I will have a hard time getting proper Lyme tests here, it's very uncommon.
paulzeee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Chipper3 on July 17th, 2007, 8:08 am

Let us know how your fungal treatment is going. There are members on this site who believe that yeast may be a cause of this disease. There has to be something that activates our antibodies.
Chip
Chipper3
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby paulzeee on July 17th, 2007, 9:12 am

Chipper3 wrote:Let us know how your fungal treatment is going. There are members on this site who believe that yeast may be a cause of this disease. There has to be something that activates our antibodies.
Chip

I am starting to wonder Chip. Although I was having some issues I never had twitching in my life until 2 days after I started taking a whole bunch of anti fungal herbs and preparations. Further to that I felt extremely tight and very tired and has subsided somewhat. I also noticed I had very bad post nasal drip, it has subsided but is still present. The twitching comes up everywhere in my body, I currently have a hotspot in my thigh, which is a new area. I have no weakness to speak of, nor do i notice any type of atrophy. I did lose 5 lbs since I started this cleanse but have not been eating much and certainly not been eating quarter pounders with cheeese. Mainly greens and fish, little bit of chicken. I quit alcohol and cut my coffee to 1 cup a day (from 6-7). No wonder my body is freaking out. I think I just need to ride this out and keep off ALS and MS websites.
paulzeee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby paulzeee on July 20th, 2007, 4:10 pm

Ok went to my GP. He's sending me for a battery of tests including an MRI, Lyme tests, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, some bowel tests (I have Crohns disease), HIV, ESR, Hepatitis and a Neurologist. Anyone know what an ESR test is for? If I had spotted fever for 2 months wouldn't I be really sick by now? When I told him I was twitching everywhere he said "like this?" and held up his hand and I watched as his muscle on the back of his hand between his thumb and index twitched away.
paulzeee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby zekebcfs on July 21st, 2007, 11:15 am

Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate . To detect if there is inflammation in your body. However this test has a letent time properities that detects inflammation more accuratly in the immideate past (Chronic Inflammation) not the current inflammation you may be having right this momment.

A CRP (C-Reactive Protien) gives you are much more accurate picture of what is ging on right now (Acute).

You need both tests. One with out the other is near worthless. ESRs are cheap... that is why they are done more offten.

The Bulls Eye rash is complete garble when it come to Lyme. It is the most common but by no means does every case of Lyme beginn with a Bulls Eye Rash. Some times it is flat as you have described.

Where you ill befor the trip? Did you eat anything different or out of your norm. Are you inthe medical field?
Zekebcfs
"Keep them busy busy busy, back on the farm with the other animals." We are kept so busy with business (or busyness) that we do not understand or participate in the decisions and events that will crucially affect our future.
zekebcfs
Saint
Saint

Postby paulzeee on July 21st, 2007, 12:58 pm

Thanks for the info Zeke. I think there is a CRP on the list too, I didn't look at all of what was on there because I don't know what most of it is. I am not in the medical field, I am in the oil and gas industry. I was a bit ill on the trip but was drinking alot. Actually I am an alcoholic, I quit drinking 9 days ago and am back in AA, fear is a wonderful motivator. Some of my problems may be associated to my alcoholism. Since I quit drinking the numbness and tingling has subsided quite a bit, but I am still getting a lot of muscle twitching, mostly on my right side, but allover my body too. It came on very suddenly. I was also taking some cleansing herbs at the time this started, and had a very strong adjustment of my arms, legs and back by a chiro. The twitching came on a couple of days after quitting drinking, that adjustment and starting that herbal cleanse. There are still some unexplained questions like the rash that came on just prior to the paresthesia and neuropathy. I will go through the tests and hope that it's benign.

In some of my blood work my doc noted my magnesium was very high in a serum test. He mentioned that this could actually mean magnesium is low in my nervous system because it's not being absorbed properly if my kidneys are not functioning well. I think he's sending me for a different type of magnesium test as well.
paulzeee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS