BFS Survey

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby erika on September 7th, 2003, 12:32 am

1. Age - 24

2. Gender - female

3. Race - white

4. Length of time you have been twitching? - 2 years

5. Was there anything that appeared to trigger the twitching. (i.e. viral infection) - nothing at all

6. Do you have any Anxiety or OCD disorders? - nothing prior to the twitches

7. Any other medical conditions that may be connected to BFS? - thankfully, no

8. Did you go through the typical ALS scare so common on this forum?
totally. I'm pretty much over the daily anxiety. But I still have periodic freakouts that get pretty bad.

9. Body region most affected? - hands and feet. I get hardly any in my calves.

10. Most unusual area affected? ear drums -- as I've said, the absolute worst. also my teeny little "special" girl muscle-- very weird and not as enjoyable as I'd prefer it to be.
erika

Postby jCherie on September 8th, 2003, 10:06 pm

1. 26

2. Female

3. Caucasian

4. one month short of 2 years (10/01)

5. started when I had an ingrown toenail infection-took antibiotics for tx.

6. No Anxiety or OCD disorders

7. Not that I am aware of, though I am allergic/sensitive to A LOT!!

8. Yes. The test of time ruled it out.

9. Hard to answer that one...maybe legs.

10. I'd rather not disclose this.....only a female would understand
jCherie

Postby Miss Twitchy on September 18th, 2003, 1:39 pm

1. 24
2.Female
3. White
4. 12 years
5. No, (puberty?)
6. Just an anxious person in general
7. No other med. conditions
8. No, because I had no weakness in affected muscles
9. Muscles around my knees
10. lips
Miss Twitchy

My Theory...

Postby pilot-USAF on September 19th, 2003, 9:02 am

1. Age: 32 Yrs.

2. Gender : Male

3. Race : White (2nd generation Italian)

4. Length of time you have been twitching?: 7 Months (on and off)

5. Was there anything that appeared to trigger the twitching. (i.e. viral infection) Stress & infection (probably due to the stress) See answer to #7!

6. Do you have any Anxiety or OCD disorders?: I am a Generalized Anxiety Disorder sufferer with obsessive compulsive tendencies.

7. Any other medical conditions that may be connected to BFS? None –but suspect underlying reoccurring viral infection that is aggravated by stress and anxiety (which starts the vicious cycle – stress depressing my immune system hence allowing my EBV or Herpes viral infections go unchecked allowing them to invade my CNS). This along with all of the “flight or fight” hormones associated with CRONIC stress and anxiety can be a volatile mixture!! Weather this is BFS, Fibromyalgia, CFS, RLS, sleep difficulties – WHATEVER! these all seem to be AGRIVATED by anxiety and stress. So, is stress the cause or the symptom who knows, but the mix is the same in all of them – stress & anxiety, virus, sleep. MY THEORY!

8. Did you go through the typical ALS scare so common on this forum? Much like the majority on this site, my original fears were of MS due to parasthesia noticed 3 years ago, but due to my recent head MRI and EMG (both being normal) Lou’s disease FEARS seems to have picked up where MS left off – SEEMS TO BE A VERY COMMON PATTERN WITH BFS WORRIERS!!

9. Body region most affected? RECENTLY, my calves (slight visible twitches that occur randomly over the entire lower leg) – stress is suspect due to my NEW and intense worry about A#S!. Although, like most of you, random twitching, single fire's, myoclonic jolts, buzzing in left foot - NO WEAKNESS.

10. Most unusual area affected? My mind!!

Feel free to add more: I encourage all of you to read closely WHAT I WORTE and compare it to everything else on this site OBJECTIVELY not SUBJECTIVELY! Most of us, I feel, have something going on physiologically speaking which causes the twitches we all have come to PANIC about. Although our minds are VERY powerful when it comes to awfulizing and suggestion!!!! Our worries are in our minds – call it being sick or just wired differently but this my friends is THE reality. For those of you that LOOK for the AWFUL exceptions to the neurology rules, my heart goes out to you! This behavior however, is COMMON with anxiety disorders – your mind finds a way to continue the irrational thoughts in order to maintain the anxious state. There are theories as to why – weather it is control, redirection from other tragic or stressful issues in life, or a subconscious decision to choose to believe the “horrible disease” theory rather than accepting mental illness/sickness because one feels the latter shows social or personal “weakness” and the preceding shows a “victim” state which dissolves all blame and even RECIEVES sympathy. The worst part is this can happen all subconsciously, which explains why we THINK we don’t feel this way. Do yourself a favor and search within you, deep down, and some of you will know this to be TRUE. These are all documented and researched psychological patterns going back to Freud. But like you, my mind wins a great deal of the time and the worry roller coaster ride continues…
pilot-USAF
Interested
Interested

Postby Ray on September 23rd, 2003, 9:41 am

1. Age: 37
2. Gender: M
3. Race: Caucasian
4. Length of Time Twitching: 10 months
5. Trigger: Most likely stress
6. Disorders: GAD. I Worry about everything.
7. Other Medical Conditions: Diagnosed with Hypochondriosis.
8. Typical ALS Scare: Been there!
9. Body Region Most Affected: Lower Legs 24/7 but when anxiety sets in it can be all over.
10. Most Unusual Area Affected: Eyelid, chin and lips.
Ray

Postby Bluepoppy on September 23rd, 2003, 9:17 pm

1. Age: 18
2. Gender: Female
3. Race: biologically...none but im Africna American
4. Length of time you have been twitching? about 2 years, i think
5. Was there anything that appeared to trigger the twitching. (i.e. viral infection) Doc asked me that and i can't say.
6. Do you have any Anxiety or OCD disorders? no
7. Any other medical conditions that may be connected to BFS? no
8. Did you go through the typical ALS scare so common on this forum? why of course
9. Body region most affected? Arms, fingers, legs
10. Most unusual area affected? Scalp, ears, toung, and nose
Once my whole head tunred to one side..that was strange
This IS a good time
Bluepoppy

BFS survey

Postby Mi-Young on September 25th, 2003, 5:33 pm

1. 24
2. female
3. Korean
4. 6 months
5. diagnosed with vascular malformation in left calf; stopped taking birth control pills
6. anxiety
7. vascular malformation in calf
8. yes, went through ALS scare!
9. legs most affected
10. twitch all over
Mi-Young
Interested
Interested

Postby skinny on September 28th, 2003, 12:32 am

1. Age

2. Gender

M

3. Race

White

4. Length of time you have been twitching?

1.5 yrs

5. Was there anything that appeared to trigger the twitching. (i.e. viral infection)

Anxiety/depression period 2 weeks before twitching started, fasted on water for 6 days, twitching began few days later along with lactose intolerance and IBS.

6. Do you have any Anxiety or OCD disorders?

No anxiety since I came out of my depression. OCD possibly - I listen to music in snippets rewinding favorite parts over and over.

7. Any other medical conditions that may be connected to BFS?

IBS and LI

8. Did you go through the typical ALS scare so common on this forum?

NO!! Am I the only one?

9. Body region most affected?

Calves, thighs, feet, butt, back, arms in that order

10. Most unusual area affected?

Neck, face

skinny
skinny

Postby marieclare on September 28th, 2003, 6:12 pm

1 age. 40
2gender F
3.Race White
4. twitching time--6 MISERABLE YEARS!!!
5.Twitching trigger---Overwhelming stress over a period of 6 months
6.Anxiety disorders?--Never used to but now I worry alot--I try NOT to though!!
7. No other medical conditions
8. YES--i went thru the ALS scare--it made all this worse!
9.Most affected region--let me see--it depends on the day or year--mostly arms and legs.
10. most unusual area?--face--when i had a sinus infection my cheek twitched for a week when I smiled--i think I smile alot!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby MrTwitchy on October 10th, 2003, 10:11 pm

1. Age 29
2. Gender male
3. Race white
4. Length of time you have been twitching? MY WHOLE LIFE!!
5. Was there anything that appeared to trigger the twitching. (i.e. viral infection) My birth, evidently. Starting paying attention around 4th grade when my pinky toe twitched a lot. I did have scarlet fever as a kid but I think that was actually later on.
6. Do you have any Anxiety or OCD disorders? Mild OCD
7. Any other medical conditions that may be connected to BFS? None that I know of
8. Did you go through the typical ALS scare so common on this forum? No... probably because I grew up with it so I just got accustomed
9. Body region most affected? Eyelids, chest, knees, others seem to move around... I call it the Twitch of the Week
10. Most unusual area affected? Tongue! Barely visible but definitely can feel it. Also hear my eardrums fluttering occasionally. Sometimes my scalp also twitches (where there is muscle tissue).

-----------

I scanned through several pages and I was surprised to see that I'm the only one I saw so far who apparently was born with this.
Stress seems to aggravate it, so I try to avoid stress the best that I can. :)

Other things I've noticed over the years:

--on rare occasions I still get woken up at night because my shoulder or something starts twitching

-- for a while I took magnesium and B12 supplements, may have helped a little, though it could've been placebo effect.

--I also just started some heavy weightlifting (never really lifted weights before). It's only been a couple weeks but we'll see where this goes. So far it seems like doing heavy exercise (few reps, heavy weight) to exhaustion alleviates the twitching if i work out a particular muscle.
Working out also helps alleviate stress so that can be a factor.

--If twitching is keeping me awake, sometimes it's possible to sleep in a position where the muscle is stretched... that makes the twitching much less noticeable

--working at a desk, with elbows rested on the chair, seems to induce twitching in my forearms, hands, and fingers after a while. This may be due to pressure on the nerves that go through the elbow. It usually stops if I get up and walk around for a bit.

--I get shaky very easily, mainly the hands. Caffeine induces this (as it does in most people), and so does stress. I don't really have steady hands unless I'm completely relaxed (or drunk, ironically enough). I don't really know if that's related though. I'm not taking any medication right now.

--every time I sneeze, my eyelids twitch for about 10 seconds.
MrTwitchy

Postby Jenn311 on October 10th, 2003, 10:44 pm

I remember reading once that a member posted that their neuro said that people that are twitchers are born twitchers. I wonder if that is true. Then wouldn't there be some kind of a genetic marker for that?

Anyway...interesting!

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Survey

Postby jpcregan on October 20th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Male

White

3 Months

An extremely stressful period of about 6 months.

No

Not yet. A lot of MS in my family, though.

Yep.

Upper arms, hands, calves

Face
jpcregan

Postby sarahtonin on October 31st, 2003, 7:04 am

Sex: Female

Race: Caucasian

Length of time: 3 months on Tuesday

Triggering factors: was in a state of extreme anxiety having convinced myself that I had MS due to tingling etc. - panic attacks etc though I wonder about a virus cause my boyfriend had tingling etc after me in the same places - so who knows

Anxiety: Oh yes, ask my psychotherapist!!

Other medical conditions: Nope, apparently as healthy as they come

ALS scare: Totally, had managed to convince boyf that I had it too!

Region most affected: Legs esp. front of thighs and calves

Unusual areas: My neck - makes me feel a bit odd
sarahtonin

Postby sarahtonin on October 31st, 2003, 7:06 am

Sex: Female

Race: Caucasian

Length of time: 3 months on Tuesday

Triggering factors: was in a state of extreme anxiety having convinced myself that I had MS due to tingling etc. - panic attacks etc though I wonder about a virus cause my boyfriend had tingling etc after me in the same places - so who knows

Anxiety: Oh yes, ask my psychotherapist!!

Other medical conditions: Nope, apparently as healthy as they come

ALS scare: Totally, had managed to convince boyf that I had it too!

Region most affected: Legs esp. front of thighs and calves

Unusual areas: My neck - makes me feel a bit odd
sarahtonin

Postby sarahtonin on October 31st, 2003, 7:07 am

Sorry!! Don't know why my useless computer keeps double posting everything.
:x
sarahtonin

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Questions About BFS