Arron - EMG Question & Lump in throat

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Arron - EMG Question & Lump in throat

Postby ppoo on September 23rd, 2002, 8:58 am

I've posted here before about the strange throat sensation....lump, tightness whatever we can say to decribe it. I've also noticed more twitching in the throat area. I have had a normal EMG, MRI & bloodwork. My EMG was basically of my arms, legs and back. I was not tested from the neck up. If you are not twitching in that designated area at the time they insert the needle does the EMG still pick up anything that could be serious? When I had the test 3 weeks ago, I didn't notice the twitching in my throat and facial area, nor did I have this lump sensation. Should I be worried? I know before you reassured me that this is very common of BFS and fibro. patients and I'm trying to tell myself that's all it is. It's the twitching and lump feeling in my throat that seems to be staying.
ppoo

Postby Guest on September 23rd, 2002, 6:41 pm

Good to hear that your tests came back clean. As far as your question goes, if a muscle is twitching due to ALS, then it has already started to die. This means that an EMG would pick that up if the affected muscle was tested - twitching or not. A clean EMG after fasciculations start is always NOT ALS.
It sounds like you had a very thorough EMG. May I ask where you had it done?
On to Bulbar onset ALS. Most people complain of slurred speech or difficulty moving food around in their mouth as the first symptoms of Bulbar onset. The lump in your throat and tight feeling is almost definitely anxiety related.
If I were you, I would go back to the Neurologist for reassurance. If you really have problems with the anxiety, they could do an EMG on the Bulbar muscles to put your mind at ease...ouch.
Btw, if you have a moment and are interested, please fill out the BFS survey. I'd like to compile some useful information on this little understood syndrome.

Postby ppoo on September 23rd, 2002, 7:52 pm

Thanks for responding to my question so quickly. The reassurance means so much. It's hard not to worry when you have 3 little ones though. As for your question, I'm from Delaware and I had it done by a Neuro. in Milford. He has been very thorough. As I'd probably mentioned before this has been a new symptom since the EMG. One good note is that this feeling in my throat has come & gone & I haven't noticed any slurred speech or the other. I go back on Friday for a follow-up to review everything and I am definitely going to ask him the same questions. If you are interested in his name I'd be happy to share it with you.
ppoo

Postby ppoo on September 23rd, 2002, 7:54 pm

Thanks for responding to my question so quickly. The reassurance means so much. It's hard not to worry when you have 3 little ones though. As for your question, I'm from Delaware and I had it done by a Neuro. in Milford. He has been very thorough. As I'd probably mentioned before, this has been a new symptom since the EMG. One good note is that this feeling in my throat has come & gone & I haven't noticed any slurred speech or the other. I go back on Friday for a follow-up to review everything and I am definitely going to ask him the same questions. If you are interested in his name I'd be happy to share it with you.
ppoo

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS