Newbie twitcher...Please help

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Newbie twitcher...Please help

Postby Twitchy Georgy on September 23rd, 2002, 8:06 am

Hi all,

After a few weeks of browsing these boards, I decided to get myself registered and join the community of twitchers. I have been twitching for about 2 months now and the twitching was preceded by a period of tingling and and burning sensations in my extremities. Now that I've been twitching, I've seen two different doctors who both say that I don't have MS or ALS (they performed basic neurological tests) but I can't seem to get my mind at ease...

I know that the obvious solution would probably be to go and see a neuro but I'm also seeing a therapist for anxiety/hypochondria issues and he doesn't think I should see one (he thinks that a visit to a neuro would help reinforce my fears)...Anyways, I'm currently pursuing non-drug related means to reduce my stress and anxiety (yoga and exercise) and for the most part I seem to have my anxiety under control...But there is always the nagging voice that tells me not to get too at ease, because after all, I might have MS or ALS....

Sorry for rambling so long but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance....I twitch every 5-10 minutes (mostly concentrated in my calves and lap, but sometimes on my arms, back and neck)....Occassionaly I get a very slight tingling in my right foot and achilles and I have experienced that "buzzing" sensation from time to time....Oh, and one more thing....Lately I've been clenching my right fist to convince myself i'm not getting weakness on my right forearm (it feels uncomfortable when compared to my left)....
Twitchy Georgy
Interested
Interested

Postby Guest on September 23rd, 2002, 12:14 pm

You mention burning and tingling sensations. One would not experience this with ALS.
Another fact in your favor is that you're twitching is more generalized. With ALS, it usually starts in a hand or foot with weakness. The twitches come later and are in one spot. The calves are probably the #1 twitch location for BFSers.
Also, try to avoid testing your strength. You will trick yourself into thinking you have weakness. Take look at some of the posts about "perceived" weakness and you'll know what I mean.
As far as your therapist's advice on not seeing a Neuro goes, I've always felt better after seeing my Neuro, but it doesn't last and I wind up back in his office with a new symptom. Maybe holding off is a good idea.
To be honest, it does sound like anxiety. I too have anxiety disorders and it's amazing what they can do to your body.
Good Look!!!

Postby Arron on September 23rd, 2002, 12:44 pm

I agree with "guest". Nothing you described sounds like ALS what so ever. MS is another factor and if you look-up MS symptoms, you will find that not only you, but about 90% of the population has some kind of MS symptom or another at any given time. It is a very hard disease to diagnose sometimes and it can easily take a couple to several years to actually find out. Most MS cases are VERY slow progressing and sometimes play hid and seek with symptoms that are here today and gone tomorrow. That is one of my own fears but in reality, most MS cases are pretty mild and it isn't life threatening in most cases at all, so don't stress on that too much. Everything you described sounds more like BFS to me and you have classic symptoms of BFS, so try to stay calm not worry too much. I know, it's easier said than done, but try not to worry as much about all of this. Neither of your doctors were worried for a reason...
Arron

Postby Guest on September 25th, 2002, 8:31 am

Thanks for the replies...

I went to see a neuro yesterday and he ran about a dozen neurological tests (i.e. coordination, feeling, etc.) and concluded that there is no sign of anything serious. He was a little concerned about the tingling in my right foot, so he schedule me to have an EMG done in about 3 weeks...He also didn't think it was necessary to have an MRI done...

What was kinda strange is that he didn't seem to believe me when I told him I had twitches (even though my family doctor diagnosed me with bfs)... Is it possible that there are some neuros out there just don't believe in bfs?

Anyways, I suppose that it is a good thing that he is taking the necessary steps to rule out serious conditions... instead of just dismissing me as another hypochondriac who thinks he has MS or ALS but really only has BFS.....

Again, thanks for all of the replies.. :D

Postby Twitchy Georgy on September 25th, 2002, 8:34 am

oops, sorry....I forgot to login so my previous post was submitted as "Guest".....My bad!
Twitchy Georgy
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS