afraid that I have ALS

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

afraid that I have ALS

Postby Amy on September 16th, 2002, 12:05 pm

Hello,
I just stumbled upon your site today and it has started to make me feel a llittle bit better already. The only problem is that everyone's experiences are so different! I'll explain what I have been going through now.
I'm a 23 year old female in Canada with generally good health. In April I started to get a twitch in a really wierd place. It was under my ribs on my left side. I had mono before and I had an enlarged spleen so it felt like almost my spleen was twitching. This lasted for two days of twitching every minute. And it was so maddening. I have a family friend who has ALS so I was sure that this is what a had. This twiching started at a really stressful time. I was finishing my undergrad thesis and the twiches started on the one year anniversary of my father's death. After those twiches ended, anytime I would notice a twitch on my body I felt like I was one step closer to ALS and hence death. Recently I have experienced twitching in both of my upper legs above my knee. This has lasted for a week or so. I am fairly stressed out now as I haven't been able to find a good job and I feel kind of like a failure. I haven't noticed any other symptoms of ALS (as I am well versed in them). Back in April when I mentioned the original twitch to my doctor he kind of dissmissed it and said that we could do some blood tests at the end of summer. I didn't go back, partially because I thought that he didn't know that much about ALS and partially because I was afraid I would be diagnosed.
I don't know what to do about this. I have almost convinced myself that I have ALS and look at the stats to see how old I would be when I die. I wonder if stress is a major factor in causing twitches to start. It almost seems like the more I worry about it the more I twitch. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank-you,
Amy
Amy

Postby DaveKD on September 16th, 2002, 12:18 pm

Hi Amy - I am sure you are fine and at the worst have BFS like the rest of us. If you read posts from Arron you will see that ALS would not give you waxing and waning sporadic twitches. True and progressive weakness is the halmark of ALS. I can sympathise with your stress as I lost my father when I was 21 and he was 53. I am now 30. I know that his early passing compounded my fears of ALS and other wierd diseases as I felt that if he went early so could I. Hang in there and you will get many other reassuring responses! :)

Dave
DaveKD

Postby Arron on September 16th, 2002, 2:52 pm

Amy, ALS won't start in a place like your ribs, then go away and start in other places sporatically. Once it starts in one place, it migrates onward and spreads from there, not random, sporatic twitches here and there. Those are typical signs of BFS and yes, stress and anxiety WILL make these symptoms come-on much stronger and more often, so try not to let them scare you and you will notice a big change in them, for the better. Hang in there :-)
Arron

Whre abouts?

Postby Jeff on September 27th, 2002, 3:07 pm

Just wondering where in Canada you live... I'm a fellow Canuck in Edmonton.
Jeff
Interested
Interested

Postby Amy on September 29th, 2002, 11:24 pm

Hey Jeff,
I am in Winnipeg, but I've spent a lot of time in Edmonton.
:D
Amy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS