Joint Pain

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Joint Pain

Postby michelle on September 13th, 2002, 7:38 am

Hi. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced joint pain with BFS? I'm 24 & have never had ANY joint pain until this BFS started in June of this year. Since then I've had knee & hip joint pain that comes and goes and isn't real severe. The most worrisome pain is the joint pain I'm now experiencing in my middle finger on my left hand. One week ago I woke up and this finger was swollen, stiff, red and very painful. It has NOT gotten any better yet. At first I thought I may have stoved it, but can't remember hurting it, and it hasn't gotten any better, probably worse. Someone on Braintalk suggested arthiritis, but does it really appear overnight in one finger? This is a little frightening. Does anyone have any ideas what this is???? Thanks.

Michelle
michelle

Postby Arron on September 13th, 2002, 10:03 am

maybe something bit it? Maybe it's some kind of infection from a bacteria? Joint pain comes and goes in lots of people. I get it myself every now and then. I would take a couple of good pictures of it just for documentation in case it goes away before you can see a doctor, and make an appointment with your GP or go see a rhumatologist just for fun. It doesn't sound like any "disease" or any precurser" to anything bad that I've ever seen. My mom has arthritis pretty bad and her wrists swell-up really bad and are really painful, along with her spine and hips, but those areas don't swell. It really sounds like Rhumatoid Arthritis "to me", but I am no expert. A short doctor visit would be what I'd do if it were me. Some spider bites are painless and can cause that kind of reaction. Just for fun, have you tried any Benadryl? to see if it makes the swelling and redness go away any? That would probably tell you if it was a bite or not. Hope that helped.
Arron

Postby michelle on September 13th, 2002, 4:35 pm

Hey Arron. Benadryl? Umm, yea, I've been pretty much overdosing on the stuff since the 3rd week in August! My hayfever is really bad and it's the only thing that helps a little. Looking at my finger at this very moment, it's not red, it's only a little swollen and stiff, but it still hurts to bend it. It is worse in the morning. I can crack all my other fingers except this one. If it is RA, would it really appear overnight? I don't understand this BFS crap. I mean, one day I'm fine and the next I'm losing my whole body to this stuff. I never know what to expect! I have an appt. scheduled with a rheumatoligist the 3rd week in October so we'll see what he says. My GP says he's lost his bedside manner but is a really intelligent doctor and can usually figure out things that aren't even in his area of practice. We'll see. Also, since your mom has RA, maybe you can answer this, isn't RA an autoimmune disease? I had an ANA bloodtest done and it was negative. Didn't know if this would cover that or if there is a seperate test for RA. Thanks, Arron!

Michelle
michelle

Postby SoJerseyMom on September 27th, 2002, 11:25 am

Hi, Michelle! I too have occasional joint pain and also a family history of RA. I think the pain that comes and goes and is brief might be related to BFS. I get it in my hips a lot too. The redness and swelling in your finger sounds like something different, though. Be sure to let us know what the rheumatologist says.
SoJerseyMom

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS