hand twitching

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

hand twitching

Postby j1 on September 12th, 2002, 9:41 am

I posted this on the other board as well..but figured some of the experts in here might have a comment as well. Thanks.

OK..this hand twitching/buzzing is really annoying. It is present pretty much 24 hours a day and has been going on for about a month or so...The twitching is very lite and can be felt at all times - it is on the left hand below the pinky on the side of the palm. There is no weakness associated with it, but I keep thinking that the weakness is just around the corner. Many of the posts I read say that fine or small twitching is not a good sign. I had a clean EMG in June, but the left arm/hand was not tested - only right arm and left leg. Should I be concerned?
j
j1

Postby michelle on September 12th, 2002, 10:20 am

Hi! I think I just replied to your post on Braintalk :). These are the two boards I come to! I think it is very common in BFS. Have you been diagnosed with BFS?

Michelle
michelle

Postby Arron on September 12th, 2002, 4:37 pm

j1, a lot of people have hand twitches. Mine started in my hands too. Actually, my fingers and they would "pull" to one side, hold and then release like clock work for several weeks. EMG's are pretty accurate and even though you were tested on the opposite side of your body, it still should have picked up some abnormalities if it was ALS. If you get twitches, bumps and thumps in other places of your body, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If it is just your hand and no where else, go get another EMG just for the fun of it so you can have peace of mind. ALS does commonly start in the hands and the twitches are usually really fine but unless it is spreading and you are losing control of your hand, it has to be benign. It is a simple hard fact that twitches without the presence of weakness is a benign condition. So now, don't be testing your hand all day, everyday to see if you are losing strength, OK? That will only make your symptoms worse. If you are scared, go get another EMG. You already had one clean one so you can bet on how the second one will turn-out. They rarely miss and remember, twitches are SECONDARY symptoms of ALS. With twitches present in ALS, the muscles are already losing their connection with the brain... It really doesn't sound like you have ALS at all, not from what you have described. Hope that helped. Oh, and I don't post on the Braintalk board anymore... I don't like the people there, actually, it's the other way around, so I left.
Arron

Postby j1 on September 12th, 2002, 5:59 pm

Michelle,

Doctor never diagnosed me with BFS...just said benign twitches. They started in my calves (still present there today). They pop up here and there in other places as well...but only sporadically. The hand thing started a month ago - this is the one that worries me, not sure why...maybe because they are fine twitches and can be felt all over the hand (really annoying)

Arron,
Thanks for the reply...you are probably right...it is benign. This is not the only place I have twitching...only the one that bothers me the most. I am trying not to dwell on it, only it I keep thinking one day I am going to drop something or lose strength etc... got to get over that fear.

That is good information on the EMG...I should trust in my clean EMG...however, at times it is hard. How could something so annoying be benign?

I have heard that there has never been anyone with a clean EMG developing ALS...have you heard this also? Just wondering.

You have been a great help...
j1
j1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS