troublesome twitches and crampy calves

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

troublesome twitches and crampy calves

Postby missyJ on November 9th, 2005, 3:11 pm

OK, so now the twitching in my shoulder has stopped (hurrah) but in its place is an ongoing firework display on the rest of my body :?

The thing that's worrying me more than anything is a nasty crampy pain in my right calf. It's almost constant and won't let me forget my worst fears.
Doees anyone else get this? I had a crazy few days when I was doing the tiptoe and heel walking and wondered if this might have contributed?

The whole thing is freaking me out bigtime. I have rational moments when i laugh at how ridiculous i'm being and other moments when am frozen with terror

I apologise because i am doing a lot of asking and not a lot of posting reassurances but will rectify this when I am ten months and ten thousand twitches down the line :wink:

Would appreciate any input

Julia
missyJ
Hero
Hero

Postby cinderella on November 9th, 2005, 3:45 pm

I used to get those same symptoms in my left calf all the time, but thank god it seems to be on the decline. Try not to worry it a common symptom here, but I know thats easier said than done. I would get so paranoid I would try my best to avoid looking at my leg, because I thought it was going to start shrinking or something. Having the Neuro. check it out a few times has help me except I don't have any terrible condition. How are you sleeping? I wasn't sleeping well at all, some nights in the begining not at all and that only made everything worse. My Neuro. gave me something for at night to calm my muscles and anxiety and its really helped me alot. Don't be afraid to go to the Dr. and ask for help if you need it. I've been twitching and all the other weird things that go with BFS for about 7 months now. I still have symptoms but I'm not as scared as I was, and I'm begining to have more of those rational days. :wink: Just try to stay postive and ask for help or support when you need whether its here, a Dr. or even a good friend don't suffer in silence trust me it only makes it worse. Good Luck and God Bless! :)
cinderella
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby missyJ on November 9th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, like you, my sleep patterns are all over the place. spend a lot of time in the wee hours wondering if i am twitching anywhere or if my calves feel crampy or not - how come symptoms seem so much worse after midnight?

Think i will ask if there is anything like a muscle relaxant to help with all this. Also heard that tonic water (think its called club soda in us) is good for muscle problems so might have a drop of that with a stiff gin :wink:

Just so pleased to have found this site. would have been sectioned by now if i hadn't :lol:

cheers, Julia
missyJ
Hero
Hero

Postby Silas1066 on November 9th, 2005, 4:35 pm

I get the calf cramps as well. they come and go. When I'm twitching big time, it gets worse.

I'm also climbing about 20 flights of stairs a day, and I've been going to the gym and working out the legs, so the cramps may be a result of this stuff as well.

you're not alone.
Silas1066

Postby johnnythejet on November 9th, 2005, 4:45 pm

When my twitching began I did not get any cramps other than an rare one in my left hand. But in the past few weeks I've been noticing them. they are'nt full blown cramps but a strange feeling like my muscle is about to cramp combined with slight pain. I think I've felt these in both my arm (bicep) and leg muscles (in general). These haven't bothered me because of this wonderful forum. After the realization that my twitching is benign I've learned of the many other symptoms I can and DO expect at one time or another. One of these is cramping. So many people have complained about this kind of thing that I was sure to get it eventually. Better now than later I say!
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby puggriffey on November 9th, 2005, 6:43 pm

GUYS -

Honestly, this is SO remarkable. I don't frequent here much these days, as I think after 20 months and numerous tests, I need to get on with things, and let others on here "take the torch". But for the last several weeks, my symptoms "shifted" a little - less widespread twitching, more of:

first, a general soreness and "achy/weak" feeling in my shoulder (left) - one day, thought it was "lagging" or needed extra focus on my part to move.

next, a few days later, a migrating "crampy" sensation crept in - shoulder first, but almost immediately feet (a little), then calves (a LOT). this remains.

a bit later (a week) - worse "pain", but only brief sensations of it - mini, mini cramps? Never full blown, and nothing that lasts - mostly in calves, right worse than left.

now, more twitching again, and over the last 10 days, fought off a nasty virus (with MINIMAL congestion, but a good old sore throat and low grade fever, fatigue, etc.) - this is really going around up here, and people ocmplain more of faitgue, muscle aches/soreness, sore throat, than any congestion, cough, etc.

I come on here today -- this post, another in another forum, and another from a week ago, ALL with almost a jaw-droppingly similar tale to mine. Julia's account was eerily similar in that it started with shoulder involvement, then migrated down to the legs. I'll tell you, for over a month now, my legs just don't "feel right".

This makes me laugh, because it sure seems suggestive of some sort of viral "reaction" we have; remember, we ALL likely have oddly hyper automimmune systems - Mayo and others suspect a viral cause behind the onset of this, and there is much literature suggesting patients often recall a recent history of viral illness and/or upper resp. tract infections when symptoms worsen. In this case, I'm not suggesting Julia or others may have a full blown case of the flu, etc., but viruses are funny things - present in numerous ways, sometimes pass quickly, sometimes linger FOR months, etc. How odd that SO OFTEN on here, we see "clusters" of symptoms that are strikingly similar going on in many simultaneously (watch, in the spring, MANY will start focusing on bulbar onset and neck/throat symptoms - it happened the two years I've been here...).

Random food for thought - take it for what it's worth. I am glad (though sad for all of you) to hear others are in the same boat...I will admit twitches had become "bearable" because they were expected. The cramps (or whatever they are) were troubling because they were new. I think we are all caught in a cycle where our bodies are hyper-reacting to stimuli (maybe multiple, probably led by deep down health/other anxiety that is VERY real) in odd ways once we "ignited this engine within us". I am assuming that with the calves/cramps, like all else, this too shall pass, and I'm going to make a concerted effort to not waste time on worrying when it is likely to lead to no real outcome.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby Dianna on November 9th, 2005, 8:04 pm

Hi Missy, I had the cramping calves bad when I first came down with
all this in FEB 05 it has gone away now though at times they still get
a little crampy if Ive been on my feet alot. I think it will get better for
you dont panick just hold on it might take a bit but it will get better.
peace of advise skip the tiptoe and heel testing your making it worse
for yourself when I stopped all that walking on my tiptoes and heels
it started getting better.

Dianna
Dianna
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS