Joanne ~ esophageal spasms

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Joanne ~ esophageal spasms

Postby paranoid on January 6th, 2003, 8:49 pm

JoAnne I know what you are talking about with your esophagus and I personally believe it is all related to BFS. I developed extreme problems with a "lumpy" feeling in my throat, pain, difficulty swallowing, and what sort of felt like reflux minus the burping about 5 months before my twitching started. I had an endoscopy to rule out more serious things and was told I suffered from esophageal spasms. I also have IBS. Guess all my muscles act up! I notice a lot of people with BFS have IBS or esophagus problems.
Sandy
paranoid

Postby Joanne on January 10th, 2003, 1:48 pm

Sandy,
It seems the more i research the more i see what your saying how it seems to be related. What is IBS?
How long have you had these sx?
Joanne
Joanne

Postby Nole on January 10th, 2003, 2:15 pm

I am currently being treated for GERD and a possible hiatal hernia. The meds (protonix) seem to be relieving the pressure I was feeling in my chest caused by an acid/gas build up. I never even thought about BFS being the cause of this nad I am not so sure I believe it is. I have been having gas problems in my stomach for about a week and then i noticed a burning sensation in my chest (like heart burn). Very annoying and now I have to watch what I eat because certain things make it worse. The doctor doesnt think it is going to be a chronic problem but if it continues I will have some tests done. My symptoms are improving as of right now so keep your fingers crossed. Many people suffer from this who dont have BFS so it may just be coincedence that a few of us have it. It is very common.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby paranoid on January 10th, 2003, 2:30 pm

JoAnne, IBS is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It can be very painful when an episode is occuring. Mine seems to be brought on more by stress than by anything I eat. ( had a wicked attack right before Christmas, guess even though I thought I was well prepared my body didnt think so!) My Large intestine spasms and sometimes I cannot even touch my abdomen. Back in the old days, before I had testing to rule out anything more seroius, the problem would go on long term as I imagined the worse case scenarios ( bowel cancer) Now I just wait it out ~ take a "this too shall pass" attitude and try to relax my over stressed body. Ditto for the esophageal spasms ` I couldnt eat, swallow anything... I was so sure I had esophageal cancer. After the endoscopy, which even ruled out GERD, I am also more able to relax and be reassured that my body is just in a " spasm mode". Thats why I think the IBS, BFs, and eso spasms are linked... they are all muscles, they all spasm/twitch and all are intensified ( though I don't believe completely caused by) stress. Oh yeah, my BFS followed the same timeline. I twitched, I worried I had ALS, I twitched BIG TIME, had testing which turned up nothing bad, Still twitch though less, when I have a flare up, I am able to know it will get better. And now.... if only this will be the last health related thing I have to worry about! (Fat chance!)
paranoid

Postby Jen on January 12th, 2003, 2:08 am

I have to laugh at the irony of this for me. I suffer from GERD & IBS, and I also had the "lump" feeling before Protonix came to the rescue. I'm laughing because I've logged onto this website tonight because my PC is close to the bathroom. This is a bad IBS night for me, so I'm checking in here, checking in with my e-mail and balancing my checkbook while I make frequent trips to the bathroom :lol: . I gotta laugh, because it beats pouting. As far as IBS goes, I've had some luck by using something called "Citrucel" once a day. I also do my best to avoid dairy as I appear to be lactose intollerant, and I avoid garlic as well. I think my issue with IBS today is that I'm overly "crampy" from the BCFS. Oh well, as Scarlet O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day", or something like that :)
Jen

Postby Nole on January 12th, 2003, 4:15 pm

Jen- 6 days later and I must say the protonix is doing the job. I dont feel gassy anymore, am able to eat, and dont have the lump/burning sensation in my chest. Question for you?? Do you take it on an as need basis?
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jen on January 15th, 2003, 7:34 pm

Nole, I actually take it every day. I read in some literature (you know those ads in magazines for perscription drugs?) that a person needs to take it for 10 to 12 weeks (or maybe it was less then that) in order for their esophegous to heal. My doctor gave me a perscription for 3 months and asked me to take one each morning, and then she'll see how I'm doing afterwards. It took about 2 weeks before the lump feeling went away in my throat. A couple of years back, I had to take some medicine for an eye condition that I had. The medicine really did a number on my stomach. I'm crossing my fingers that after I finish all of the Protonix, that my stomach/throat will be permanently settled down. Unfortunately, I still have an occaisional lump feeling on days where I am very crampy. I imagine that is something I'll always have to deal with.
Jen

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS