Muscle Jerks

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Muscle Jerks

Postby Lane on August 31st, 2002, 1:39 pm

I'm wondering if others with this syndrome have experienced muscle jerks as well as twitches/fasiculations. Mine are usually at night but occuassionally during the day a shoulder or knee will jerk...
Lane

Postby michelle on August 31st, 2002, 4:52 pm

Hi Lane. I have this as well & I believe what you are talking about is myoclonus. Normal people have myoclonus at night when falling asleep, but mine seemed to get worse after I started having fasciculations. I occasionally have a myoclonic jerk during the day but most often it is at night. It's been happening at least a few times at night. I don't think it's much to worry about, but I sometimes wonder why it started along with the fasciculations. Hope this helps!
michelle

Postby SoJerseyMom on September 2nd, 2002, 2:50 pm

Lane, I also have occasional muscle jerks. Not every day, but several tiems a week. Mine are mostly at night, too. I assumed this was due to BFS, and am glad to hear others have them too.
SoJerseyMom

Postby kdb on September 3rd, 2002, 8:37 am

Lane, I have also experienced myoclonic jerks. I seem to recall having them for years, but they seem to have gotten worse when the twitching started. They are also very inconsistent in terms of when they occur. I might have three of four for a couple of nights in a row and then they might disappear for a week or two.

Hope this helps.
kdb

Postby Arron on September 3rd, 2002, 11:51 pm

I get 'em too, everyday. Sometimes my hand will just jump, sometimes my leg will jerk as if a doctor had just tested my reflexes, sometimes my arm will jerk or jump, sometimes my foot will jump. It's just a one time jerk, not a whole bunch in a row like twitches. The kind you get at night just as you are falling asleep and common and everyone gets those. The one's I am describing are smaller but all the same... jerks of an entire limb or body part. A lot of people with BFS complain about these myoclonic jolts and they are harmless and meaningless and are no indication of any disease as long as there isn't any profound weakness or atrophy going-on.
Arron

Muscle Jerks

Postby Lane on September 5th, 2002, 9:01 pm

A BIG THANK YOU to all who've responded. You're words have eased my mind and I just may rest a little better tonight! Lane
Lane

Postby Debbs on October 1st, 2002, 12:06 am

Yup I get those jerks tooo, bit scary when they happen benign or not, I hate the shoulder jerks, had a strange thing happen last night, I was nearly asleep when I became aware that my finger the one next to my thumb on my right hand had raised itself up and then back down all by its self.....now that was weird :shock: ..anyone else had that happen?
Debbs

Postby Davidd on October 1st, 2002, 8:46 am

I also experience those sudden movements.

Debbs-- I had a similar finger incident...except I was at the keyboard and my ring finger on my left hand moved from side to side all by itself a couple times! I was looking in a different direction, heard some strange noise on my keyboard and realized my finger was moving...I didn't even know it until I looked!

I hope we all get rid of these symptoms soon.

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Debbs on October 1st, 2002, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Davidd, glad Im not the only one! Soo what do you think Davidd could it be related to bfs?Or maybe just the fact that our nervous system could be overly sensitive?

Deb
Debbs

Another jerky person!

Postby Davey on October 21st, 2002, 1:57 pm

Hi. Just thought I'd let you know that I, too, have myoclonus. I know it is unnerving (sorry about the pun), but this symptom seems to be common among us BFS'ers.

I also have nocturnal myoclonus, which is sometimes called Restless Leg Syndrome. I get creepy crawly sensations that keep me up at night.

See: http://www.rls.org

Davey :lol:
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Annie on October 21st, 2002, 4:56 pm

Debbs and David... Yep, that happens to my fingers quite often. One just decides to raise its little head and say a quick hello. Mostly when I'm going to sleep at night, but it's happened during the day too. You're not the only ones! Weird, huh?
Annie

Postby Davidd on October 21st, 2002, 8:29 pm

What worries me when my finger "moves by itself" is what it could mean. Ever since I read that Michael J Fox book which said that his first symptom of Parkinsons was a spastic finger I have this thought in the back of my head every now and then. Luckily for us here, PD is pretty rare and more symptoms generally develop from what I understand. I just try to ignore these weird symptoms since 999 times out of 1000 they mean absolutely nothing.

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Guest on October 22nd, 2002, 2:37 pm

David, isn't it amazing, so many of us share the same alarming thoughts. I too read Michael J. Fox's account and promptly panicked because of my finger twitch. It started in his hand! Oh my goodness, must be Parkinson's! All I can say is, I subsequently got a full workup from a renowned neurologist who told me that parkinsonian tremors are very distinctive and easily recognizable by an expert and that wasn't what I had. This is classic BFS stuff we're talking about here. My advice: relax!

Postby Davidd on October 22nd, 2002, 8:59 pm

The part that worries me though is that when MJF first went to the neuro with the finger twitch, the neuro thought it was nothing...Do you know what the difference is between a finger that "moves by itself" that happens because of Parkinsons versus a movement that is NOT related to Parkinsons?

I am relaxed most of the time, but still worry sometimes...\

Thanks!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Annie on October 22nd, 2002, 10:43 pm

Hi David, that was me, Annie, who appeared earlier as "guest" because I logged in from a machine that didn't recognize me. I'm not a doctor, so I won't presume to define parkinson's disease for you. However, I can tell you that my finger twitches sound remarkably like yours, and my neurologist told me catagorically that I have benign fasciculations, and not parkinson's. Did you happen to see a post by Jeff on 9/30, with various interesting excerpts from neurology books? This one was of particular interest:
"Fasciculations are sudden unpredictable, visible twitches of small parts of muscles. Generally these ripple the surface of the skin but are not sufficient to move joints, except in the hands, where they may jiggle the fingers."
Next time your finger moves, take a look. I'll bet you'll notice a fascic in your hand that's causing it.
Annie

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS