Burning sensation with twitches

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Burning sensation with twitches

Postby Gary Utterback on August 31st, 2002, 1:28 pm

This looks like a great site, and I appreciate the information! I recently had an attack of sinusitis which required about 4 weeks worth of Amoxicillin to cure. As I recovered I began to notice more pronounced fasciculations in the calves and then elsewhere(after working out I had noticed them in the calves previously but hadn't paid that much attention to them). I now have a skin sensory situation in the legs and arms that feels like a low burning sensation that comes and goes. No weakness or muscle wasting is noticeable. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated!...Thanks!
Gary Utterback

Antibiotics and bfs?

Postby Dr. Jon on September 1st, 2002, 12:31 am

Gary, I also developed my fasics not long after a long course of antibiotics for a gastrointestinal infection. Maybe there is a connection. Is there anyone else that needed a long corse of antibiotics prior to developing the bfs symptoms?
Dr. Jon

Anti Biotics and BFS

Postby jmealey on September 3rd, 2002, 7:40 am

Just replied to another BFSr with Candida concerns. There is no doubt that antibiotics will increase the chance for yeast in the body so now I am really wondering about a connection? Yeast and BFS
Jay Mealey
jmealey

Postby Jake_the_twitch on September 3rd, 2002, 11:15 am

I wasn't taking an antibiotic but I was on a long course of stomach acid suppressors, prevacid, zantac etc.
Jake_the_twitch

Postby Arron on September 3rd, 2002, 11:46 pm

Gary Utterback, I had the EXACT same thing. A really bad bout of sinus infection and a month's worth of 1,000mg a day of Amoxocillin (which by the way did absolutely nothing for my sinuses). It's hard to say whether there is a connection between the antibiotics themselves or the infection or if it is all just a coincidence, after all, a lot of people have some sort of allergy, illness, stomach problems, gas or whatever all of the time. It's not like sinus infections are rare, you know what I mean? I dont understand why doctors even bother with antibiotics wiith infections like that when they can ONLY fight-off bacteria, NOT viruses. Mine must have been a virus being that 30 days of massive doses did nothing. Even my pharmacist was alarmed at how much I was taking and for how long. he said" geeze Arron, you must have quite an infection, This is a really high dose and a really long time to take this stuff". Well, I thought you'd be interested that I had the exact same thing. My twitches didn't start until about 30 or 60 days after all of that, so I really can't say one way or the other if that was what actually started my twitching and symptoms.
Arron

Antibiotics/acid supressors & bfs?

Postby Dr. Jon on September 5th, 2002, 5:57 am

Jake_the_twitch, I was also on a long course of stomach acid supressors/proton pump inhibitors like previcid,zantac, and nexium in addition to a heap load of antibiotics.
Arron, you are so right about the over use of antibiotics. Most infections are viral rather thatn bacterial and to be certain they could very easily swab the back of the nose culture it and if it is bacteria know persisely which antibiotic would be best. But that is time and money and docs know that most people do not want to go home being told it is just viral. There is somewhat of a patient induced pressure on the doc to hand them a prescrition which validates there compliant and the justification for the office visit. You also bring up a good point in that since there are tons of people who have taken long courses of antibiotics that do not end up with facisulations. That is what makes all this so mind boggling. Question- With all the reading/research that you have done in your opinion do you think the problem is in the brain ( excessive neuron excitability) or in the neuromuscular junction? I realize knowbody seems to know foresure but would value your oppinion, as i look for possible nutritional protocals.
Dr. Jon

Antibiotics/acid supressors & bfs?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS