Fasciculations all over body

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Fasciculations all over body

Postby kayowed on December 2nd, 2002, 7:17 pm

I have been experiencing twitches for a little over four years now. In the beginning it only occured in my right hand right before I was going to bed. Since then my twitches have become progressively worse to the point of avoding all social interation. I am unable to look people in the eyes in fear that I might twitch. Every time I twitch and someone is making eye contact it feels like they avoid looking at me from then on. Not only that they also rub the area that I twitched in making it feel like I have some communicable disease that they don't want to catch. I have just recently started twitching in my face and it is the only place that I am really ashamed of. It is relatively easy to keep other twitches secret but these are making my life hell. The other twitches are just annoyances more then anything else. I don't have any other symptoms of ALS so I am not worried of that I just don't know what i can do to get rid of this so that I can be a productive person again. It is badly affecting almost all areas of my life making me feel that I can not connect to anyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated
kayowed

Postby Joanne on December 2nd, 2002, 8:30 pm

I understand how you feel, especially the face twitches, i had a twitch that lasted a month on the side of my nose which seemed to me made my lip move....i thought everyone could notice it, but that too pasted. You have to go on living. Think of the things you will miss out on...I know sometimes its hard but there a people out there with a lot worse things than twitches and are "living" there lives. If anyone would make fun or stare you down because you twitched than they probably are not worth being around anyway.
Try to get out and do things....i know it is hard not to allow it to consume your life but you have to try to not think about it...I bet if you find something to take your mind off of it, some of the twitching you will not even notice.

Joanne
Joanne

Postby tlotoxl on December 3rd, 2002, 7:03 am

i know where you're coming from. it seems shallow to be so concerned about something as irrelevant as a twitch on our face or in our hands, but it's something so crucial to interpersonal communication and, to roughly steal a line from kobo abe, it is through our relationships with others that we define ourself. speaking of which, japanese author kobo abe's novel called 'the face of another' deals with, at least on the surface, a man who loses his face. anyway, it's a great book but maybe a little off topic (and the book isn't very uplifting, be warned).

i don't think that people notice our twitches so much and even if they do, it's how a person carries themselves that ultimately matters the most so although it isn't easy, i think you just have to relax and get on with things as naturally as possible. also keep in mind that the twitches will probably not stay there or if they do, they may very well attenuate with time.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on December 3rd, 2002, 2:40 pm

that's what therapists are for. If twitching is keeping you from doing normal things in life, then there is a serious mental thing going on and you need to see a therapist or something to get better. Some people are strong enough to pull themselves out of it on their own and many other's are not. Just like some people can quit smoking, quit drinking or quit doing drugs, (cold turkey), and most other people can't and need lots of therapy to get "over" it.

If you are not functioning because you are scared you might have some dreaded disease, such as ALS, and you haven't had any tests performed yet to rule it out, then I can see why someone could lose sight of reality and life, (I have been there and done that already), but when you know you don't have a dreaded diseaase and you allow it to ruin your life because of nothing, then you need help. Call a doctor and discuss your problems with him and seek help. It is out there waiting for you and your life won;t be on hold any longer over "nothing".
Arron

Postby Jen on December 12th, 2002, 1:50 am

Before I found this website, I was becoming very concerned with the possibility of others seeing me twitch. My imagination would run wild and I would plan ahead for the possibility of not being able to go to work on any given day because I was twitching all over. Fortunately, I found this website and being able to connect with others put my fears into perspective. Reading a list of the symptoms found here gave me a huge sense of relief. I no longer worry about what others might see. In fact, I practically hit the floor at work one day last week. I stood up, got an instant "electric-shock-zing" feeling down my leg, with a bit of numbness. I know that I looked very "spastic", and another co-worker was a witness to it all. I simply shrugged and said, "you know.....BFS", and we both laughed. Kayowed, I would say that if you are feeling any shame or anxiety brought on by these symptoms, that a visit to a caring therapist and/or general practitioner is in good order. It is important to get out there and connect with others, and these forums are a good place to start. I felt better after telling a few trusted co-workers, and my close friends. I now feel confident when I'm out and about, even on days where my body quite work the way my brain would like it to. Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.
Jen

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS