fasciculations immediately after flexing?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

fasciculations immediately after flexing?

Postby luke91 on December 1st, 2002, 5:53 pm

Hello everyone. My name is luke and I'm new to this board.

I have been experiencing all the common symptoms of BFS for only about 3 weeks, now. I saw my doctor over the matter, and he assured me that it probably wasn't anything serious. My own hypochondriatic research led me here. I hope you can help me...

I experience fasciculations all over my body, with concentrations in the thighs and triceps. Recently I discovered that I can make fasciculations occur regularly by flexing, then relaxing these muscles.

I flex a muscle for a few seconds, then relax it. About 5 seconds after flexing, the muscle will fasciculate for about 5-10 seconds, then stop.

Any other time, the fasciculations occur at random, and usually only fasciculate once. In other words, they only twitch once, and do not spasm for any length of time.

Is this normal?

Thanks

--luke
luke91

Postby Nole on December 1st, 2002, 6:53 pm

It sounds like you have classic BFS symptoms. If you have no weakness (and I mean profound weakness, like you cant hold a cup) then I wouldn't worry. Your twitches dont sound so bad, I know they are annoying but dont worry that makes them worse. Welcome to the club.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby luke91 on December 1st, 2002, 9:05 pm

Thanks, nole

My symptoms are annoying, but not too bad. I'm taking some tests to confirm exactly what I have, but my doctor and I suspect BFS.

Anyone else?

--luke
luke91

flexing

Postby jblack on December 3rd, 2002, 3:58 pm

Luke -- I can definitely do that in the arches of my feet. I flex them and they twitch like crazy as they un-flex. I also had a thing for a while where I could flex a muscle and it seemed to stay contracted after I flexed it -- particularly in my calves. That was weird. Seems to have passed though.
jblack

Postby luke91 on December 4th, 2002, 12:18 am

That sounds like it could be caused by a potassium defficiency, too. Have you had a CPK level and potassium check in a blood test, recently?

Just curious.

--luke
luke91

cpk/potassium

Postby jblack on December 4th, 2002, 12:26 am

I didn't even know what cpk was before I got to this forum! Nope, no blood test recently. I'll ask my neuro if he doesn't suggest it.
jblack

Postby Arron on December 4th, 2002, 12:11 pm

Luke, that is totally normal for BFS and is NOT consistenmt with ALS. I used to be able to make a twitch happen by flexing, but that has become less common these days though, with me anyway.
Arron

BODY FASICULATIONS

Postby RESTLESS GUY on December 5th, 2002, 2:15 pm

HI EVERYONE..36 YR OLD TWITHCHER FROM FLORIDA..I HAVE BEEN TWITCHING FOR ALMOST 2 YRS..SOMETIMES IN ONE PLACE OTHER TIMES EVERYWHERE.BFS IS JUST PART OF THE THE SYNDROME.REMEMBER A SYNDROME IS SOMETHING THEY CLASSIFY WHEN THEY CANNOT FIND A REASON OR CURE BEHIND AN ILLNESS.I HAVE ACCEPTED THE FACT THAT I WILL TWITCH UNTIL A CURE OR DRUG COMES OUT...PLEASE DO NOT WORRY, BECAUSE YOU ONLY TWITCH.REMEMBER SOME OF US TWITCH, JERK AND TREMOR.. FEEL LUCKY ABOUT ONLY TWITCHING....BYE
RESTLESS GUY

BODY FASICULATIONS

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS