BFS symptoms

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

BFS symptoms

Postby DJ on November 18th, 2002, 1:21 pm

Hi All,

I have posted here a few times, but just wanted to share my frustations with this BFS stuff.

I have the twitching all over, but mostly have the constant fatigue in my arms, legs and neck! My legs feel so rubbery and tired sometimes I feel like I can't stand up, although I can! I have had this stuff for over 9 months and it isn't getting any better and is constant. That is the most frustrating thing for me, it never seems to go away or get any better! Heck, the twitching I can live with, it's the fatigue in my muscles that is driving me crazy. I saw a neuro about 6 months ago and he said that it was nothing to worry about, and at this point I agree.

Does anyone else experience the constant fatigue in their arms, but especially in there quads/thighs and calves and neck?

Thanks!

Darrell
DJ

some fatigue (early stages)

Postby jblack on November 18th, 2002, 2:22 pm

DJ -- I've definitely been noticing that my right arm and right lower leg and foot (where the most twitches happen) fatigue easily. It's not debilitating, but then I've only noticed this stuff for about 6 weeks now. But they definitely seem to get tired more easily, and it bothers me (alright, worries me :? ). I get shin splints and sometimes the arch of my foot cramps.

My optimistic theory is that the parts of our nervous systems that control certain areas are a little amped up -- sometimes this makes muscles twitch, but it probably makes them tense a lot of the time even when they aren't twitching, which leads to the fatigue. Slight clenching of a muscle all day could certainly fatigue it without you ever noticing. I'm not a doctor, but it's a theory that seems to make sense to me. There's also the possibility that just thinking about these muscles all the time (like we all do :? ) tires them out. The mind is very powerful that way.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that's the explanation, or one of them!

jesse.
jblack

rubbery

Postby jblack on November 18th, 2002, 2:25 pm

Oh, and the rubbery thing...yeah. My right leg feels it. I notice I'm almost always subconsciously favoring it (if I think about it, when I'm standing, I'm almost always putting the bulk of weight on my left leg, although when I walk I think I'm fine). Anyone else notice that they favor a leg that's rubbery?
jblack

Postby PARANOID on November 18th, 2002, 4:19 pm

Oh you arnt alone with the rubbery, weak feeling though I would describe my right leg as " heavy" and it feels harder to do things with it, though I still have all my strenght. My right arm also used to feel this way. After 61/2 months of the same thing I am starting to feel less fearful but it certainly is irritating.I am so glad to hear from one sided, especially right sided twitchers/ crampers/ weakness, sufferers. You are not alone!
Take care,
Sandy
PARANOID

Postby DJ on November 18th, 2002, 4:46 pm

It does make it a bit easier knowing that other people are going through the same stuff! It usually is in both of my legs, generally in the large muscles (quads) right above my knees, but occasionally it will migrate to my calves or hip flexors. Typically, most of my twitching occurs in these same places, and I would bet that is why I am feeling this "rubbery" stuff.

Thanks again everybody for the replies!

Darrell
DJ

Postby Jen on November 19th, 2002, 8:11 pm

I went through the rubber-leg stuff last summer, and thought that it was mostly due to fatigue. I experienced extreme fatigue, and indicated in your post, I could live with the muscle twitching, but the constant fatigue was quite a problem. My dr perscribed a low-dose of Prozac and the fatigue went away :D . Since then, I have been able to resume my normal activities and start an exercise regimin.
Jen

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS