rubbery muscles

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

rubbery muscles

Postby dwl on November 14th, 2002, 4:18 am

How common is it to get a rubbery feeling in the muscles with BFS?

I started twitching in July (initially lips then calves, back, thighs, chest wall) & went through the same scare as everyone else here. I saw a neurologist in September who could find no abnormality, but offered an EMG if I wanted one. Shortly after, I developed cramps and had my CPK checked - this was slightly high, which really scared me so I had an EMG at the start of October which was normal.

A few weeks ago, I started feeling that the muscles in my right hand were sort of rubbery and I didn't feel I was holding things properly. There is no actual loss of strength and I can still write, brush my teeth, wash the dishes, hold a coffee cup etc, but it feels a little weird. The fingers in both hands now feel as if they are stiffening up a bit. I wondered if this was due to over-use of the computer - has anyone else experienced this?

I was also a bit concerned as my EMG sampled only one area in 5 muscles on my right side - shin, calf, thigh, thumb/hand, biceps. Does this sound like an adequate examination?

I'd be very grateful for any feedback.
dwl
Hero
Hero

arguably my primary symptom

Postby jblack on November 15th, 2002, 7:34 pm

Yep, I get that bad. My right lower leg (also where the fascics are most common), often feels rubbery. If I try to stand on one leg, for example, I feel wobbly on that side. And the finger stiffness -- that's the first thing that I noticed, actually, like my fingers were clumping together, a little clumsy, too. I first noticed it about 5 weeks ago, and it made me anxious...I noticed the twitching just after that, I'm pretty convinced that it was triggered by the anxiety.

It's good to hear you had a clean EMG. What's CPK? I'm going to the neuro for the first time on tuesday...wish me luck!
jblack

Postby dwl on November 16th, 2002, 5:42 am

CPK is an enzyme released into the bloodstream by damaged muscle. Arron says that mild elevations are common in BFS. Good luck with your neuro appointment. You should get a fairly good idea of what the problem is when you're seen.
dwl
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS