Atypical Symtoms?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Atypical Symtoms?

Postby Sherlock on November 12th, 2014, 11:41 pm

I have fairly standard symptoms such as twitches that come and go all over my body. I have bad zaps in my eyebrow, lip, and thigh through the last week and a few zaps in my arms and scalp. It's funny, I might have a day with no twitches, and the next day my whole body is a mess. I've also been getting severe muscle tension, but little in the way of true cramping where I can't use the muscle. Yesterday I was holding myself up on my palms for a good while and my hands cramped up, but that might just be normal. I also get stiffness in my lower back if I stand for a long time, and stiffness in between my shoulder blades from time to time. The other concerning thing with my muscles is... say I lift up a pot with water, I'm able to lift it and grip it, but my forearm shakes and vibrates enough you can see the water move.

Lately, my swallowing feels difficult and sometimes I aspirate but not often (I think everyone aspirates from time to time). It just feels hard like I have a lump and I swallow multiple times. No food actually feels stuck, I just feel the need to swallow like if I don't something might get stuck. Voice is slightly hoarse at times and I clear my throat a lot from the phlegm. I can cough well, I just have tons of phlegm in my throat.

Breathing... short of breath. It gets worse and better depending on the night. If I lay on my left side it usually feels worse. I wake up rested, occasionally I get hiccups if I hop out of bed quickly. The shortness of breath comes and goes throughout the day like I can't get a full breath until I yawn a few times. This is the scariest, the breathing issues.

Anyone get the breathing/throat problems? Funny thing is... I feel a lot of the time like the tension when I breathe is in my throat, not in my chest. Chest tension is occasional, but more often feels tense in the throat.
Sherlock
Interested
Interested

Re: Atypical Symtoms?

Postby Yuliasir on November 13th, 2014, 12:16 am

Hi Sherlock,
your symptomes are not atypical for this board - neither shaking muscles, nor coughing, diffcult swallowing or breathing issues. Muscle tension due to fear usually causes this shaking< and even 'ratcheting' sometimes, coughing, hiccup and swallowing issues are due to GERD and gastritis. Common for people with autonomous nerve system hyperexcitability (which comes inevitably for all stressed people), and breathing issues you describe are due to hyperventialtion most probably.
If you do search for any of those key words, you will see defintely how many fellows with the same symptoms are here.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Sherlock on November 13th, 2014, 9:26 am

I had a chance to look around, and it seems we all have some odd things going on. The voice and swallowing stuff is the most concerning along with the breathing. I see my tongue twitch, but rarely feel it. That said, I have no weakness in my tongue.

I guess the part that freaks me out is that people on this board seem to twitch 24/7, and some days I get a hot spot all day, other days I twitch a few times or not at all. The good thing is that I twitch all over with no major weakness. I have some issues with my little finger on my left hand, but I think that's simply nerve impingement. I also get paresthesia, and that's good because als is motor not sensory.

This condition confuses and scares me pretty much a different way every day :(
Sherlock
Interested
Interested

Postby Jayden on November 13th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Im in the same boat Sherlock, got an appointment today with ENT,
Because my swallowing,breathing and voice has been slowly getting worst.
Yeap its a scary symptom ,I also get twitching on face neck and all over body.
The weirdest part is that my twitching,tongue,facial ,throat are in the left side.
Also got the tremors when working the muscles and at rest.
On arms,legs and head,jaw.

I guess BFS is not the " thats nothing" syndrome,its a really nasty desease.
Jayden

Postby Sherlock on November 13th, 2014, 3:12 pm

I have voice issues too. I get froggy at points throughout the day. It comes and goes, and it's annoying!
Sherlock
Interested
Interested

Postby Sherlock on December 12th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Something that has been very bothersome lately... I keep getting aches and pressure pain at the base of my sternum especially when breathing, but also just in general. This similar feeling occurs in my left clavicle, almost like a pulling sensation under and above my collarbone.

Anyone experience something like this?
Sherlock
Interested
Interested

Postby Scboy on December 12th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Sherlock I had/have all those symptoms you are talking about. The shortness of breath and tightness in my sternum the swallowing problems(perceived). The tightness was smothering at times. One thing that helped me is I figured out dairy really bloated me badly. I was dairy intolerant although the only symptom was bloating which greatly contributed to my discomfort. I had no other symptoms from the intolerance which is why it took me awhile to pick up. No upset stomach or intestinal problems Just bloating.
IYou could possibly have a food sensitivity that is contributing to your problem. Just a thought based I my experience.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on December 12th, 2014, 11:59 pm

Sherlock,
you may found it funny but most of those sensations are realted to gastritis (say this on my own experience) and other GIT syndromes. Yes, even pulling sensation under collar bone ( I do have that, sometimes very painful, when I have my guts bloated with certain foods).
We have overall hyperexcitation of nerve system, including autonomous. This means that our GIT operation is heavily involved, inclusing peristalitics (this is maifested as GERD, esophagal, gastric and bowel spasms, cholestasis due to choledoch spasm etc.) and stomach jiuce acidity level (this leads to gastritis, GERD again). Gastritis causes dull pain under the rib edge or in the strenum region. Esophagal spasms cause bloody pain uder the clavicle. Bowel spasms may irradiate into the shoulder ans collar bone musculature due to body kinematics.
You may go to gastroenterologist and check it. Most of us suffer with that, believe me. It is worth to know and control.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Sherlock on December 13th, 2014, 1:50 am

I actually do find that very interesting! I was diagnosed with GERD and Gastritis last June, and in August I was diagnosed with LPR (airway reflux) as a complication of a hiatal hernia (which I think can also cause pain in the sternum). These things all came on one after the other starting last February... swallowing problems so bad I couldn't get any food down at all, which let up with reflux meds and dietary modification. Then a few months later came back in full force, all the way up into my airways, causing hoarseness and everything. That's when the twitching started. It's pretty crazy how much one system affects the others.
Sherlock
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS