Pain without fascics

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Pain without fascics

Postby Jaybo on November 6th, 2002, 11:29 am

I don't suffer from BFS, but my wife HAS been recently diagnosed following a brief, and rather dismissive, meeting with a neurologist, after about a year of seeing her GP.

The problem is my wife doesn't experience fasciculations, but amongst other things, does have a lot of myalgia centred largley in her legs, which varies from mildly annoying to almost disabling.
The neuro made no particular observation about this, despite it being the primary symptom, and in fact wasn't really sure if it could be attributed to BFS.

I don't feel my wife's evident pain, but it is horrible to sit there being useless. :(
Any thoughts?
JayBo 8o)
Jaybo

Postby Arron on November 7th, 2002, 2:12 am

sounds like it could be Fibro. Sometimes people with Fibro twitch and sometimes they don't but they almost always have varying pain, just like your wife. I'd look into that rather than BFS.
Arron

Postby Jaybo on November 7th, 2002, 6:20 am

Thanks Arron, just found a whole list of Fibro symptoms posted on this site, and given some of her other symptoms I think you may be right.

Thanks a lot from both of us. :)
JayBo 8o)
Jaybo

Postby Arron on November 7th, 2002, 10:40 am

Just in case you didn't see the post I gave you in the other thread Jaybo, here's a copy of it so you can help your wife.

Hey Jaybo, your wife might have BCFS, which is BFS with cramping and pain. Cramps don't always have to be the horrid "Charlie Horse" type, they can also be mild, hence the term "mild cramping" which is common with BCFS. I really don't like to steer people towards this site anymore because there are "some" people on there that are truly head cases BUT you might find some REAL good help and some REAL answers there. here is the link. Just copy it and past it to your browser. It is known as BrainTalk.com and it is the "neuromuscular" board. There are LOTS of BFS'ers, People with Fibro and many other "benign" conditions on there that can certainly help. Just watch-out for the idiots too, OK? Here's the link and I hope it helps.

Brain Talk communities;

http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi ... &SUBMIT=Go
Arron

Postby tlotoxl on November 7th, 2002, 11:05 am

man, that place really is crazy. glad we have a quiet place here to talk these things over.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jaybo on November 7th, 2002, 11:48 am

Thanks again, Arron, I did read both replies and have managed to find alot of info about Fibro.
My wife is now waiting for the dreaded second opinion appointment (after all who wants to question an expert?) but the information on Fibro and CFS I've collected will be at least a useful tool in putting our point across.
I have read previous postings about diagnosis based purely on a very brief physical exam, which is what happened in my wife's case, and was under the impression that BFS/CFS was essentially a default diagnosis, after all other possibilities have been excluded, if necessary with at least one EMG. Is this correct?
I must say it doesn't help when the expert in question is so dismissive about what are very disturbing, and sometimes obviously distressing symptoms.
JayBo 8o)
Jaybo

Postby Jen on November 7th, 2002, 7:56 pm

Jaybo, it is distressing when an expert is dismissive with symptoms that seem so disturbing. It took me a few days to get over the initial shock of my neuro being so dismissive. That is why I love these forums. There is a lot of support here and Aaron is incredibly knowledgeable.
Jen

Postby Arron on November 7th, 2002, 10:51 pm

"I have read previous postings about diagnosis based purely on a very brief physical exam, which is what happened in my wife's case, and was under the impression that BFS/CFS was essentially a default diagnosis, after all other possibilities have been excluded, if necessary with at least one EMG. Is this correct?"

Yep, that's correct. I think what neuro's are thinking is if the symptoms aren't indictive of anything nasty or major, then why get excited over it? Label it benign, call if CFS, BFS, BCFS or Fibro and move-on. In all reality, that's what we ALL should do, is accept that it's benign and move-on. I mean if it is benign and the real experts aren't concerned, then what are we here on these sites for, all stressed-out and in a panic over something benign? Once all of the biggies are ruled out, who cares what they label it... I think this is the approach neuro's and doctors use except they forget that any strange symptoms can be scary to some people and "we" are those "some people"...
Arron

Postby Jaybo on November 8th, 2002, 3:59 am

Thanks again for the help!
I agree, and obviously so does my wife, that a diagnosis of any benign syndrome is re-assuring and infinitley preferable to one of the 'biggies'. The lack of any EMG to firmly establish this was the real sticking point, but as you say, I'm no expert. :wink:
JayBo 8o)
Jaybo

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS